[Pics] Plus-Sized Black Women Use #WeWearWhatWeWant to Express Their Style Uninhibited

Avatar • Aug 3, 2016

When Vintage Honey (@thesoulasylum) relayed a story on Twitter of a black woman mocking a plus-sized woman of color for wearing a minidress, Simone Mariposa had to say something. In an interview with Today, Mariposa recalls how she came up with the hashtag #wewearwhatwewant:

I remember when my mom used to tell me, ‘Don’t wear that,’ and I said, ‘I wear what I want!’ That works for this.”

What resulted was an outpouring of body positivity and women posting pictures displaying their fierceness without concern for societal approval. Here are some of our favorite looks:

Lovely! This goes to show, you should never let anyone tell you that you can’t wear something because you aren’t the ‘right’ size.

Lolalao
Lolalao

Self love is key

StraightShooter
StraightShooter

I don’t understand the medical professionals part. Medical professionals are supposed to inform people about their health. That isn’t body shaming.

Sorcha
Sorcha

Medical professionals body shaming is common when you’re bigger. Yes, doctors have a responsibility to inform people about their health but there is also a time and a place. The body shaming is when you go to the Dr and no matter what you are asking for help with they tell you to lose weight. Yes, I could lose weight but that isn’t helping my sprained wrist which I got because I was playing tennis. I should watch my diet but that’s not helping with the fact that I slipped on ice and fell and now my hip is bruised to hell and back and… Read more »

Nonye
Nonye

Obsesity is still a problem. I dont have any issues with what these women are wearing, some of these outfits are nice especially the all gray attire. But these women shouldnt be worried about what people say about their outfits. The important issue is taking care of your health. Obesity causes a lot of health problems that people aren’t worried about. Last time I checked, an outfit didnt cause hypertension, diabetes, high cholestrol, etc. And please dont say that skinny people can get that as well, WE ALL know that but research has shown multiple times that the risk increase… Read more »

Allison Graham
Allison Graham

If doctor’s are body shaming they should be ashamed!! Yes having excess weight brings on more health issues but shaming someone into change doesn’t help. Hopefully medical professionals are taking there own advice about health. Because the amount of junk I saw in a hospital break room was enough to give you High blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol just by looking at it!

Tee Johnson
Tee Johnson

I’m OVERWEIGHT…I dress nice.……I don’t like the body acceptance slide shows for big girls.….they have an heir above self love, it’s more like Haugtiness.…..pride.….…so annoying!

bumper UK
bumper UK

We can all wear what we want (it doesn’t always mean that we should). The key is to wear what suits your body shape whether you are slim or fat. There seems to be a spate of articles on obese women showing how sassy and fashionable they can be. I am beginning to wonder just who it is they are trying to convince…

Guest
Guest

This isn’t a matter of size, it’s a matter of fit. Get stuff that fits your body type and you can slay in any size.

W. Lotus

If people don’t like it, they don’t have to look. My body is my business. I wear what I want.