Are More Black Women Embracing Spiritual, But Non-Religious Practices?

Avatar • Aug 9, 2016

hoodwitchtaro1

A couple of years ago, one of my favorite spiritual workers, Curly Demure of Demure Lyfe, constantly shared information on crystals on her Facebook page about their uses and energies. As a collector of crystals since childhood, I was always excited to see these posts and casually shared them with followers of my page. I didn’t really think anything of it — after all, my website and channel aren’t about crystals or spirituality, I just wanted to share something that I love. But the overall response I received was very positive, and even more, a lot of women had questions about the different kinds of crystals and their uses. It was beyond acceptance or tolerance, and I truly appreciated them for that.

And there’s no shortage of information available — a quick Google search or trip to the library can open up a whole new world about spiritual tools and practices. Not just crystals, but information on moon phases, meditation, setting intentions, yogic philosophy, aromatherapy, numerology, and more. Blogs like Demure Lyfe and the Hoodwitch, both led by women of color, share information on spiritual practices in a way that are both refreshing and modern. There’s always something new to learn (look up “yoni eggs”) and it’s all rooted in positivity and shining your own light on the world.

I thought it was important to ask some active users about how their spirituality relates to their religion; often, people may see these practices as a direct contradiction or conflict with religious beliefs, but it seems that many are shifting towards spiritual practices without the two interfering with one another, or associated but in balance. Here’s what they had to say (names kept private):

I am a Christian who believes in God but also like working with crystals. I meditate although I haven’t quit mastered it yet. I do believe in smudging because negative energy can an affect anyone. I’ve always been connected to astrology as a child. I’ve always been connected to crystals as a child although I referred to them as rocks. My parents never questioned my fascination with these and allowed me to explore my curiosity. I do believe that Christianity has been given a bad rep as a result of false teachings.”

I grew up Christian but the religion never fit me. Now at 30 I know I don’t believe in most religious dogmas but I’m not sure exactly where I fall. Astrology makes “sense” to me but I feel understanding life is more about understanding self than anything else at all. I tell people I am not atheist because I believe in God, I just believe she IS me… So I would say I’m spiritual, but nothing simple about it.”

I was born and raised in a Christian household. Although Christianity has been my personal foundation, it has not stopped me from questioning, studying, and plain ‘ole ‘knowing better’. As a kid, my awareness, curiosity, and wonder led me to feel more connected to nature, sunshine, moon beams, stars, wind gusts, ocean waves, the change of seasons, messages in my dreams, and crystals. There was power in all of these things for me, and I knew it was all God before religion was even introduced to me. Yoga even found me before I ever stepped foot inside of a church! Fast forward to now, and you’ll find me praying, saying grace over my food, practicing yoga, meditating, smudging, working with crystal energy, communing with nature, studying Ifa, and enjoying the company of lightworkers. To me, it’s all God, it’s fellowship, it’s church service.…everything I grew up with as a kid, but minus the fear, judgement, mind control, and contention. I’m so open right now, and my practices feel good in my spirit.”

spiritualawakening

What spiritual practices do you engage in? What are you exploring?

yvonne
yvonne

Chanting mantras; meditation

FHC1990
FHC1990

Everything you said. I was also raised by a Christian mum, became born-again quite young. I have a natural curiosity about spiritual practices, but I realise there is a danger in many of them, so I’ll stick to the Bible. There are many spirits out there but the Holy Spirit can be trusted.

TWA4now
TWA4now

Awwww, congratulations! 🙂

Youngin girl
Youngin girl

I agree with her. I have too been learning and re educating myself on the origins and lies of all religions. I believe there is a higher power. I just believe it is within me. We were all raised to see god as a white man. What many of us don’t know is Jesus was named after a slave ship and religion was man made. Most of the carbon copy stuff in the bible is from ancient Egyptian texts. Listening to nature is much better than praying for a savior to come save us. This is my state of consciousness.… Read more »

Mary1
Mary1
Reply to  Youngin girl

Lies from the pit of hell.

redpaperlantern
redpaperlantern

I am an atheist and a humanist. I meditate and do yoga. I was raised christian, but that religion is not for me.

Hess
Hess

Not enough of us openly out there, I also identify as a fellow Atheist!

s lynn
s lynn

I was raised in a very devout African Catholic family, where anything “spiritual” is considered suspect & relates to evi spirits. As a teen i bought myself tarot cards when a friend of mine got into Wicca & crystals. I thought my moms head woud explode lol! I’ve been an atheist for 10yrs, so I’ve not looked into things like tarot cards, crystals & such for a while. I am interested in looking into yoni eggs, those look fun.I have a friend that loves crystals & swears by them

trackback

[…] Source: bglh-marketplace.com/2016/08/are-more-black-women-embracing-spiritual-but-non-religious-practices/ […]

Lovelyevenstar
Lovelyevenstar

I think as a whole society seems to be more morally ambiguous so this is not so surprising. And growing up as someone who was also raised in a Christian home (as in strictly fundamentalist) I was suprised I had a ‘gift’ for seeing spirits and was drawn to what was beyond what I was being taught. As I went through college I explored even more as far as ouija,tarot and wicca. It all spoke to the need in me to have control in my life through my own rituals and practices. However after losing a child I have come… Read more »

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Lovelyevenstar

Excellent response. May I ask did you successfully have another baby?

Lovelyevenstar
Lovelyevenstar
Reply to  TWA4now

Aw thank you 🙂 I did. I have two beautiful sons that are such a blessing.

Mary1
Mary1
Reply to  Lovelyevenstar

I’m glad you came to your senses. Calling on powers besides God is very dangerous and foolish.

TWA4now
TWA4now

I would like to try mediation.

Jules
Jules

I am pantheist and I recently started exploring Goddess culture.

Mary1
Mary1

People call themselves Christians too quickly. How are you a Christian practicing witchcraft. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Hess
Hess

I’m a bit confused by the whole “spiritual” movement, there seems to be hundreds of definitions out there. Until someone provides me with real evidence and a reason to believe in the supernatural, I’ll continue identifying as an Atheist.