[Pics] Janelle Monae Posts a Series of Bare-Faced, Natural Hair Selfies on Instagram

Avatar • Jul 22, 2016

In an attempt to give her fans a glimpse into her personal life, singer Janelle Monae took several photos of herself at home with no frills. Typically Monae is slaying the red lip, natural updo, and black and white look on the Instagram. But these photos show a different side of Monae, cozy and serene with no makeup and blown out natural hair.

Monae captioned one of the photos;

My friends say I never post personal selfies and my IG is too business and heavy. I’m trying. Shit.”

We see you Janelle!

What do you think of Janelle Monae’s laid back pics?

Janet Holmes
Janet Holmes

Our is truly beautiful

LovelyAfros
LovelyAfros

Natural hair perfection…as always

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

She is beautiful but boring. ZZzzz.

Tracie Murrell
Tracie Murrell

A natural woman is secure within herself and worthy of only real men not boys fascinated by flash, makeup and tight clothing.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Tracie Murrell

I never said boys, makeup and tight clothing makes a woman interesting. Stop projecting good sis. I find her personality boring and her music uninspiring and that’s my opinion.

Camille
Camille

Beautiful skin and all that hair, lovely. Her hair looks like it’s been blown out. I would love to see it kinky.

Rose
Rose

Well clearly she is a natural beauty. I feel sad that women must be “bold” or “brave” to ever be “bareface” in public. As far as I know, women were not born with makeup. We are beautiful, perfect, and professional with our natural faces presented to the world. I never formed the habit of wearing makeup. I was exposed to it while briefly child modeling in 5th grade. I refused makeup because I realized “what if I don’t like how my face looks when I take the makeup off?”. I immediately decided it would be best to accept my natural face… Read more »

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Rose

I couldn’t agree more. When I was a young girl my mother wouldn’t leave the house without a full face of makeup. Even as a child I felt there was something wrong about that. So I too never got into the makeup habit BUT I did develop a skin care “regimen” in my teens which really only consisted of using a good cleanser and moisturizer. That regimen combined with simple genetics are the reasons why I regularly get mistaken for someone 20 years younger than I am. I too get my eyebrows threaded on a regular basis but other than… Read more »

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Rose

The only girls who wore make up or full make up when I was growing up were the white girls. They felt they needed it to give them a bit of colour and in the all white school I attended a white school mate commented that I was lucky I didn’t have to wear it. I’ve always wanted people to see me as I am and not made up so stayed away from heavy make up just only wearing a little eyeliner and lip colour if that. I know a lot of men appreciated my bare face and natural hair… Read more »

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  Rose

Yes, this is so true. It should not be such a big deal to be bareface in public. I’ve shown up to formal events with no makeup only tinted lip gloss/moisturizer and those that know me expected that from me but others would stare as if I walked in naked. Some women see it as me being underdressed. I’d rather put more effort into caring for my skin, hair and clothes than have to worry about the extra step of wearing makeup. Either way, I don’t see a problem with women who enjoy makeup so why should it matter if… Read more »

redpaperlantern
redpaperlantern

She is still stunning w/o makeup and fancy hair. Love it!!!

cryssi
cryssi

Gorgeous as usual…she’s such a doll

Adía
Adía

At first look I couldn’t recognize her

P'Gail Betton
P'Gail Betton

A naturally beautiful woman!

Kanati Siqua'Uyetsga
Kanati Siqua'Uyetsga

She’s pretty, but oh my goodness she is a great singer.

Kuwala

She’s a natural beauty. We wonder what other products she uses on her face ?

bumper UK
bumper UK

I think black women posting without makeup is a far different thing from white women posting with no make up. Most black women still look attractive without makeup and there is no real ‘oh my God’ moment on seeing them barefaced. Yes I know there are exceptions so please don’t bombard me with examples. Usually when a white woman appears without makeup she looks like she is really ill or so completely different that she is barely recognisable. I had a white work colleague who just used to show up without makeup and pretend she was feeling unwell in order… Read more »