The BET Awards red carpet was stunning this year, but one woman stole the show in a black and white dress with symmetrical details. Nandi Mngoma is the rising South African singer whose red carpet dress slayed us all! Here are 8 things to know about the up and coming star.
1. She has her own fashion line COLOUR, which designed her 2016 BET Awards gown.
2. She is a born and bred South African; born in the rural town of Maphumulo and raised in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.
3. Mngoma entered the fine arts scene at 4 when she was cast as the lead ballerina in a ballet.
4. She was nominated alongside K.O. for the South African Music Award for Amstel Record of the Year for “Skhanda Love”
5. She looks to her Zulu culture for musical inspiration:
“I’m Zulu and a lot of the Zulu culture is very rich; and we enjoy chanting and singing—that was a form of celebration especially for Africans as a whole.”
6. She has modeled for Adidas and is a Marie Claire South Africa cover girl.
7. She is a South African style icon. Although short cuts are common on South African woman, her fans, including this young cutie, mimic her unique takes on the short look.
8. Her Instagram account is chock full of short natural hair inspo! Seriously! The beauty and diversity is amazing.
Any Nandi fans out there? What else should we know about her?