Lil Mama Posted a Photo Rocking Two Natural Hair Plaits, and the Internet Responded with Vitriol

Avatar • Jun 4, 2016

Music artist, Lil Mama posted her #nomakeup #naturalhair selfies and videos online during her vacation in Cancun, to celebrate her carefree black girl steez.
However, in the way of the internet, some folks took the moment of self-love as an opportunity to ridicule Lil Mama for her appearance.
Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 7.27.26 AM

Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 7.27.59 AM

Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 7.32.42 AM

Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 7.58.11 AM

Lil Mama responded to the ridicule with the following post on Instagram

It’s very interesting that Lil Mama’s expression of ‘carefree black womanhood’ isn’t received in the same way as some of her peers. There seems to be a mentality that the bare-faced, natural hair steez should be reserved for women who critics might consider more beautiful than Lil Mama. And I think it’s worth asking why that is.

Rose
Rose

I wish BGLH would stop posting twitter trolls, as if trolling and degrading black women is news. Lil Mama is out there living in the moment and enjoying life, and her haters are stuck at home surfing twitter. It is beyond clear who is more happy with their life and worthy of love and attention. So I ask, BGLH, why? Cheap articles for clicks has driven away so much of your fan base. This site used to really be a great resource for women to collect, share, and discuss.

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  Rose

ITA It seems like anytime anyone says anything negative about someone on social media there is an article about it. I feel like we need a sign that say “Don’t Feed The Trolls”.

Mrs0507
Mrs0507

It has nothing to do with her being natural. She resembles this character named (Lil) Bow Wow.

Mary
Mary
Reply to  Mrs0507

She’s cute in all of her naturalness and so was Lil Bow Wow in his movie. Hopefully the person who made the comment was just trying to be funny when s/he made note of the resemblance. People are so mean-spirited today, which makes it difficult to know when to be offended and when to be amused.

aiych
aiych

Um, why are green eyes considered a ‘blessing’ among so many black people?? It reminds me of the obsession with ‘good hair’. Please stop this.

nicthommi
nicthommi
Reply to  aiych

Thank you. That comment made my stomach turn nearly as much as them saying she was ugly.

cryssi
cryssi

She’s cute and the haters will be jealous when she’s 30 and still looks 13.…so what her and Shad Moss look like twins separated at birth. Doesn’t mean she looks like a boy and so they’re not actual siblings. Me and my brother look alike and I know that’s not an insult.

nicthommi
nicthommi
Reply to  cryssi

She has very nice skin, way nicer than most people. Can we also talk about how gross it is that someone would act like having light eyes is so special that not finding her hot makes them a waste? That is such a pile of self-hated nonsense. I can’t.

cryssi
cryssi
Reply to  nicthommi

Preach, I would love smooth skin like that.

Waameeka AheVonderae
Waameeka AheVonderae

She is gorgeous and has beauitiful skin

merry
merry

i think she looks adorable. but it’s weird that they don’t say bow wow looks like a little girl.

dwntomars
dwntomars
Reply to  merry

interesting perspective.

Sosobim
Sosobim

I am curious as to what is the purpose if this site really? To feature negative twits? So 10 people (or less) on the Internet have something bad to say and that is enough to create an article on here? Smdh.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  Sosobim

Look at the thousands of likes on the negative comments.

kiki
kiki
Reply to  Sosobim

More than 10. Guess it was to expose the hate that bm have.

Yolanda Hinton
Yolanda Hinton
Reply to  Sosobim

Beautiful said maam

SheridaDaily

WHY does the internet hate Lil Mama with SO much passion?! She’s beautiful, hella talented and needs to be left alone. FFS

Ocean
Ocean

Life, especially the internet is just like middle and high school. Lil Mama is just the ONE that everyone likes to pick on. I hate it so much because it highlights and sums up people’s ugliness…and there are so many of them who are. As far as the natural, no makeup goes, people are such hypocrites, especially many men, because so many of them want to tell women to stop wearing makeup, but when they do, they call them ugly. I see that this so-called #nomakeup “trend” (although I don’t consider it a trend because there’s a plethora of women… Read more »

layla
layla

Ugh, she’s beautiful…I cannot believe this is being said. African American woman need better men than this pieces of crap.

Missy Julien
Missy Julien
Reply to  layla

I agree

Alex Alex
Alex Alex
Reply to  layla

men and women. I see both genders from the black community sending her vitriol.

Carla Joseph
Carla Joseph

And like usual it’s Black men who are being so disrespectful. Black women can never catch a break.

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Carla Joseph

Those men do not represent all black men.

Livvy
Livvy
Reply to  maralondon

Carla didn’t say ‘all’ though?

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Livvy

Why pick on the men when women were also posting negativity?

Dee
Dee
Reply to  Carla Joseph

I was just going to say…but look who is saying those things…smh. I’m done.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Carla Joseph

I’ve just gone through Lil mama’s mentions and there are A LOT OF BLACK WOMEN making mean comments about her appearance as well. I am really getting sick of these natural hair blogs because the obsessed swirlers use any opportunity to attack black men smh Tragic. You are no different from these black men you relentlessly chastise.

Guest
Guest

I agree that BM suffering from self-hatred project it on to BW, but this “the obsessed swirlers use any opportunity to attack black men smh Tragic. “–is just as disgusting.

I just don’t get the obsession with dating white people on both ends, that’s taken over in the BC.

Missy Julien
Missy Julien
Reply to  Carla Joseph

No surprise here Queen.

legna5252
legna5252
Reply to  Carla Joseph

right say that.…

shay fi
shay fi

this has nothing to do with slavery. if anything black men should see how black women were treated and use that as a lesson on why loving and respecting the black woman is #1. this is a result of pure ignorance on the black males part

Yolanda Hinton
Yolanda Hinton

Do you Lil Mama and let the unhappy people keep showing how insecure and unhappy they really are.. Lil mama you are still winning

La Bella Bre'
La Bella Bre'

Lil’ Mama is FAR from what society should term “ugly.” Online, it doesnt matter if you’re a super model…there will always be haters. More appropriately, these posts reflect the sadistic hatred many spew forth in the virtual environment. Honestly, it’s why I dont post photos of myself online very often…if it isnt the honky white supremacists, its fellow Black people talking trash. Doesn’t matter how attractive, nice, or grounded you are, people will always find something wrong with you. The problem is with them.

Lolalao
Lolalao

She looks beautiful! No makeup whatsoever!! These are the same ppl that think a Kardashian/ Jenner is beautiful..lol

amaka
amaka

I have broader features and often got teased (and still do by random low lives who would rather harass a woman than contribute productively to society) for “looking like a man.” This happens frequently in the black community. We as blacks have been so successfully brainwashed… and even as we progress in other areas, this mentality is only getting stronger.

I saw Lil Mama in person a few years back and she is strikingly beautiful. The self-hatred struggle is so very real…

Aieomi
Aieomi

First of all lil mama is actually gorgeous bare faced. Not just her eyes but lawd chile did you see her skin???

These people are obviously not happy with themselves so they want to tear someone who’s genuinely content down. The internet is one helluva nasty place. I hope she doesn’t let all the negativity bring her down.

Jess
Jess

She is beautiful. These losers making fun of her need to grow up!

oldfatmotherfucker
oldfatmotherfucker

I don’t think it’s really about how she actually looks. It’s moreso about the fact that people just don’t like her and like to make fun of her in general nowadays. Twitter sometimes just picks people to constantly pick on and she is one of them.

curly
curly

Lil mama is beautiful. I think that what has the trolls lighting up is her uncanny resemblance to Bow Wow (Shad Moss). Honestly, they could be siblings.

theresa.
theresa.

I honestly don’t understand why Lil Mama gets so much hate all of the time. The people who constantly criticize her probably follow her every social media account. I’m happy that she doesn’t let all of that bring her down.

Mia
Mia

If she had longer, looser curled hair and more narrowed features, this hairstyle would have never been a problem.

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

I think she looks beautiful. And she’s right, too many women don’t and cannot appreciate their natural beauty not without artifice and add ons. What I think is most telling that the trolls are mainly black.

Kustanya McCray
Kustanya McCray

Oh we know what it is. Colorisim by any name is colorism all the same.

Janet
Janet

Notice how they are all bm right?

I WISH I was in Cancun right now AND my skin looked that smooth! More women need to embrace the real woman underneath all the “accessories”.

TWA4now
TWA4now

She looks good! They have a problem NOT HER!

Missy Julien
Missy Julien

That’s just mean.

Gigi_naturalhairOG
Gigi_naturalhairOG

People are so hard on her. She’s a great lyricist; what gives?

Tammy Allen
Tammy Allen

Again, this is why other cultures don’t respect us is because we don’t respect our own culture. We’ve been trained since the time of slavery to turn on each other and drag each other down/tear each other apart and we have not learnt how to break that chain cycle. This woman is on a beach vacation, who probably wants to frolic in the water without worrying about whether she is messing up her hair or make-up. These comments remind me of when Gabby Douglas won gold Olympic medals for team and individual, the only thing that was focused on by… Read more »