Woman Shares Gruesome Photos of Allergic Reaction to CoverGirl Queen Lipstick

Avatar • May 3, 2016

lily cleopatraLily Cleopatra Maurice went to her local Florida Walmart to purchase a lipstick from the popular Queen Latifah-backed make-up brand for black women, CoverGirl Queen to wear on her husband’s birthday. What happened after she rocked the lipstick was alarming.

Covergirl queen allergic reaction

Editors note: The lip color purchased appears to be CoverGirl Queen “Fine Wine”

Maurice’s lips swelled well over 2 times of their original size after one application of the lip color. The mother of four explained in a Facebook post that she woke up choking in such a manner that could’ve easily turned fatal.

She later took to Facebook via a video from the emergency room to warn future consumers.

Maurice mentions the emergency room physicians could not determine which specific ingredient in the cosmetic product caused the reaction as the lipstick packaging does not provide a label.

The swelling in Maurice’s case could last anywhere from 4–7 days according to emergency room physicians.

Below are pictures Maurice shared of her lips from the emergency room.

Have you experienced an allergic reaction with any CoverGirl Queen products? Please let us know.

dwntomars
dwntomars

This is scary.

Itumeleng
Itumeleng

OMG that looks so painful:( I hope she feels better. Do your research ladies. I generally stick to products that serve me well. I find that sadly some products marketed for women of color to be kinda shoddy. Not sure why but its like the process that goes into making the products is not up to the standard of the bigger brands like Mac etc I have found the foundations really crap, so I always go back to Bobbi Brown, Nars and Laura Mercier. I’m sure this is an isolated incident and hope it doesn’t damage the reputation of the… Read more »

Tina J
Tina J

The lipstick didn’t have a label…mostly all cosmetics don’t have a label. I never thought about that!

kittura
kittura

I learned some years ago and only buy lipsticks sold in health food stores.

TWA4now
TWA4now

Wow! What EXACTLY are they putting in the make-up and lipsticks?

kia
kia

i reacted badly to EOS lip balm like 2 weeks ago. My top was so swollen the skin tore and scabbed up. It was gross

Cosita
Cosita

I hate this happened to her but I have seen people swell up like that from shampoos and hair dyes that were fine. My cousin is allergic to sulphur and a shampoo made her head look scary and disfigured. Anyone can be allergic to something even natural stuff. My friend is allergic to shellfish so are many other people. The other thing I fault the company for is not listing ingredients. I buy a mix of high end and drug store makeup except foundation. The higher end makeup that comes in a box I see ingredients.

lola
lola

I hate when ppl have a allergic reaction to something all of a sudden the item is question is a danger and should be pulled. I am sorry that happed to YOU but unfortunately the majority of us are fine. And the only way to find out if you are allergic to something is to try it first. All these ppl allergic to nuts, peanut butter, shellfish and yet the market for them still thrives. Just don’t use it and when in doubt take Benadryl and have a seat. Girl bye.

PS. I’s really sorry that happened to you though.

Muffy
Muffy

I am not so sure it’s an allergic reaction to the ingredients as it’s a bacterial infection. With an allergic reaction, the ER can give Benedryl or Zyrtec and the swelling should go down within minutes. An infection though, that’s another story. Especially if it’s a combo of allergic / contact dermatitis and bacterial infection. That would definitely cause this type of swelling that would last for days, perhaps longer. You see, Cover Girl doesn’t seal their makeup very well. The Clean Make Up bottles are easily opened as are all the lipsticks, save the lip glosses which are sealed… Read more »