White Couple Feels Christian Calling to Implant Black Embryos Left Over from In Vitro Fertilization

Avatar • May 2, 2016

On April 17, Aaron Halbert and his wife gave birth to black triplet girls via adopted embryos. What makes this story unique is that the Halberts are white evangelicals.  The natural question that some may ask at this point is “why choose black embryos”?

Well, in a recent Washington Post article, Aaron shares the reason behind their decision, which begins with their two older children.

Since they started dating, the Halberts were convicted to partake in adoption because of their faith.  Several years into their marriage, they began the adoption process with race as a key component:

Knowing that it is often more challenging to find adoptive homes in the United States for non-Caucasian children we informed the agency that we were willing to accept any child except a fully Caucasian child. We did this with the deeply held conviction that if the Lord wanted us to have a fully Caucasian child my wife would conceive naturally.”

With that, the Halberts came to adopt their 3‑year-old black son and 2‑year-old biracial daughter, both as infants.

The Halberts with their black son and biracial daughter, who were adopted as infants. Source: Daily Mail

When another couple broached the idea of embryo adoption, the Halberts considered expanding their family:

We were deeply moved by the idea of adding more children to our family by rescuing these tiny lives created from in-vitro fertilization, and intrigued by the thought of Rachel getting to experience pregnancy.”

We live in a world with hundreds of thousands of embryos frozen in the United States alone. Most who aren’t selected by their biological parents are donated to science or destroyed or kept frozen. If Christians – or others – really believe life begins at conception, it follows that we should respond by being willing to support embryo adoption and even take part in it ourselves.”

From there, the Halberts visited the National Embryo Donation Center (NEDC) but having non-black embryos was not an option.

We wanted additional siblings to feel connected to our first two children racially, and asked the team at the NEDC if we could be matched with African-American embryos. They agreed with our thoughts about our kids matching each other racially and were supportive of the decision to select African American embryos.”

While some support the Halberts in their decision to adopt black embryos, others question the couple’s true intentions. Particularly since, given in vitro’s expense, the embryos they are implanting are likely from well-off black couples, whereas the adoption and foster systems are full of birthed poor black children.

What are your thoughts?  Share below!

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

JessieRebeccaKelly
JessieRebeccaKelly

“Knowing that it is often more challenging to find adoptive homes in the United States for non-Caucasian children we informed the agency that we were willing to accept any child except a fully Caucasian child.” I grew up in the foster care system and from my understanding it wasn’t difficult to place non-Caucasian children. Since white babies/children are adopted very quickly, it is difficult and a long wait for adoptive parents if that is what they truly wanted. Which is why most go out of their way to get non-white children. Easier and the wait time isn’t so long because… Read more »

betina
betina

Not a lot of blacks do IVF and if they do its their own embryos. People seem to forget that most people want babies not older children which is probably why they went this route.

Camilla Hudson
Camilla Hudson
Reply to  betina

That’s not quite true/factual. Just as Black people in this country are a smaller percentage of the population, we’re also a smaller percentage of the IVF community. But infertility is an issue for Black women and Black couples/Black families as well, including with Black women’s eggs. I’ve donated eggs twice, to 2 different women — and I have no way of knowing what happened to the remaining embryos, since it’s not likely that all of them were implanted. It was long enough ago that it’s also not likely that the embryos formed from my eggs have been donated — but… Read more »

kia
kia
Reply to  Camilla Hudson

I’ve been thinking about donating eggs. How was your experience?

rumo
rumo

Honestly, there are enough alive children starving and parentless in the world that adopting one that is living and breathing should be the priority.

Opa 96
Opa 96
Reply to  rumo

I completely agree with you

Mom_of_IV
Mom_of_IV
Reply to  rumo

they adopted 2 children before the embryos

rumo
rumo
Reply to  Mom_of_IV

I am not against them having those children, I just think their reasoning is a bit flawed.

AMloves
Reply to  rumo

True — but there’s nothing wrong with people adopting kids in the system AND adopting embryos. Do you give people a hard time who get pregnant and have babies? Are you an adoptive parent?

rumo
rumo
Reply to  AMloves

Am I giving anyone a hard time? I said nothing harsh of them, though I do disagree. I have nothing against adopting embryos in the slightest, I just think their reasoning is a bit flawed if they are looking to “save” those embryos when there are children who probably need more saving out there and are actually physically and emotionally suffering. And I am in college, too broke and lacking in time to be a parent at all, but I do plan on adopting in the future, yes.

TWA4now
TWA4now

Mixed feeling but it’s THEIR choice. Some people have hugher callings than others…but No one questions Ms. Angelina Jolie

Tanaquil
Tanaquil

Why not just be grateful that these children will be growing up in a home where they are wanted, loved, and protected? But, nah there’s not enough negativity in the world.

MyFluffyPuffs
Reply to  Tanaquil

Exactly I don’t know why people are pressed about this couple. I didn’t signup to raise babies! Keep on… ?

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Tanaquil

Yes but nobody talks about the mental torture some adopted black children go through because their adoptive parents hadn’t bothered to educate them on their culture.

Always_Tastey
Always_Tastey

It’s a blessing & lucky their not just cells

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

As long as those children have a stable and loving home, I have no issues. I just hope that the parents educate themselves on black issues because there is nothing more psychologically damaging than raising a black child as if they were white and would not encounter the harsh realities of blackness. I wish them the very best. That is all I have.

Mom_of_IV
Mom_of_IV

they are saving black babies
God bless them.

Ronni Duren
Ronni Duren

Its good deed that white ppl want to adapt black children considering how black children are less likely to get adapted because of their blackness. I understand race, color shouldnt matter etc. White adoptive parents have good intentions but we live in racial world. Black ppl should definitely should be worried with white ppl raising our children because our history with white Ppl and what some has done to our black children. So we are not wrong for thinking that way. Its totally different raising black children and black ppl struggle with white ppl. White ppl dont often look at… Read more »

Betina
Betina
Reply to  Ronni Duren

Most black people don’t know black culture.

christinanolanXD
christinanolanXD

hm,.…. i think its all good. as long as they dont rob them of their culture.
And as long as they dont try that “race doesnt exist” bullshit on their kids — cause those kids will be in for a shock when they grow up into the big wide world and realise that, yes, race does exist, and it’s still institutionalized racism in America.

oldfatmotherfucker
oldfatmotherfucker

I think they are doing a good deed. Sure, some people would rather they adopt children in the foster system rather than do in vitro, but either way, they are still doing a good deed. She probably just wanted to experience being pregnant and all of that.

AlwaysBlossom
AlwaysBlossom

This is sickening. THINK BLACK PEOPLE.

NOLA_Darling
NOLA_Darling

Good for them. For all the people whining and complaining about white parents adopting black kids, I have yet to meet a black kid with white parents with a fraction of the self-loathing some of us are instilling in our children. You don’t see white mothers running out and slapping weaves and relaxers on the black daughters heads or talking about good hair and cute noses like so many of us do, so spare me the cultural identity crap.

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  NOLA_Darling

One of my friends mother fostered 3 siblings one of them being white and later adopted them.

kia
kia
Reply to  NOLA_Darling

i know a black woman who adopted a white girl she fostered for 6 years and couldnt imagine her life without her. also, black people tend to do more informal adoptions more than white people where black families just take care of the child without all the paperwork

zimzam
zimzam

That is an interesting thing to do. The Catholic teaching is against IVF because the children are not made between the love of a man and a woman; however what they’re doing is radical and I have nothing but respect for them.

Reign Bow
Reign Bow
Reply to  zimzam

IVF is between the love of a man and woman who are unable to conceive ?I love what the couple are doing and think it’s great that these embryos got a chance to live- I have been through IVF process and have more embryos left then I can carry I would love to give them a chance at life but would be more inclined to donate to a couple whose heart is aching rather than a couple who want a multi cultural family as can always get that through adoption but that just matter if opinion either way I’m happy… Read more »

Jay
Jay

They didn’t adopt children that were in need. I am always happy to see anyone really save a childs life by giving them a second chance or a better life. These children are designer babies. It’s like they just bought them self a badge of honor. Being in a interaccial relationship, I’ve noticed how obsessed caucasion culture has become with having a black child its like the new handbag of the season. It was Asian children who held this esteemed title twenty years ago. It’s a difference to adopt some child already brought to this earth. This is disturbing that… Read more »

Rachel
Rachel

I felt sheer delight during this pregnancy watching my son and daughter, with his dark brown skin and her with the ringlet hair and slightly tan skin, kiss my white wife’s growing belly.”

Does this not read as creepily fetishistic to anyone else? Something’s “off” about this couple.

nope
nope

They clearly have a Black fetish. White people are sick. Anything to own black people again. Its like we are their new fashion item. I fear for the day black is severely uncool to white people

MéliMélo
MéliMélo

All I see is future black children that will grow without a grasp of reality until reality hits them. Oh well.…