Black Women are Proudly Showing Off Their Darkened Summer Skin With #TanonFleek

Avatar • May 31, 2016

Stay out that sun!” Countless black girls heard those harsh words from mothers, grandmas and aunties who feared the blackening effects of the sun. As we grow in the understanding that dark skin is beautiful, many black women are ditching sun avoidance and letting their melanin shine captioning their Instagram photos with tags like #tanonfleek and #sunkissedmelanin. Here are twenty black women who showed off their natural summer tans on Instagram, under the #tanonfleek tag!

Mood:: after being in all this sun this weekend #rest #relax #tanonfleek #nomakeup #melaninpoppingseverely — @fierceninja

While we are loving this fierceness, please be sure to wear your sunscreen.

Stay safe while getting browner this summer!

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

TWA4now
TWA4now

Beautiful but yes, use sun block!

Janet Holmes
Janet Holmes

Well the first correction here is using the word tan. We are naturally carbon/ melanin people,. Our beautiful chocolate color cannot be lick or wash off. Its ALWAYS there.

LondonGirl
LondonGirl
Reply to  Janet Holmes

That doesn’t make sense. A tan is darkening of the skin via sun exposure. Black people (and white, Asian etc) absolutely can and do tan.

I think you are confusing tanning with “fake tan”

Janet Holmes
Janet Holmes
Reply to  LondonGirl

I am not confusing anything my dear. I refuse to use that whitewash word just to make massa feel good about darkening his or her pasty looking skin. I am very much aware that all skin color get DARKER when expose to the sun, especially the black and brown people as the sun gravitate to us the most due to our Carbon/melanin,and MOST of the time without burning of the skin. I could get deeper with that logic,but I will simply say. The darker the skin color the more connected we are with the universe. Not trying to throw shades,… Read more »

CozyVon
CozyVon

Are we actively trying to tan, or are we simply enjoying the sun & casting aside that outdated fear of “getting too dark?” If the former, what’s the point? We’re already melanin-rich! But if the latter, I’m all for that! Like a previous poster said, just don’t forget the sunscreen to further protect all that melanin goodness!

S. Williams
S. Williams
Reply to  CozyVon

I, as a medium caramel (light caramel in the winter) brown woman, tan on purpose LOL just to get near chestnut brown

TaylorAnn Griffin
TaylorAnn Griffin
Reply to  S. Williams

YESS winter got me loooking like a ghost! i neeeeeeeed the sunnn!!!

Myllee
Myllee

Beautiful, tan gives such a glow o darker skintones. Off topic the last girl bikini bottom against her skin is magnificent and her derriere had me doing squats as I type,

Mr logical guy
Mr logical guy

Yes, darker skin tones are so beautiful.

modupe_2
modupe_2

everyone needs sunscreen. skin cancer affects every race plus the uv rays from sun ages you and can cause a lot of skin damage.

Sabrina black
Sabrina black
Reply to  modupe_2

The more that I have been re educated about Eumelanin, The rays of the sun does age you but it ages black women slower than Caucasian woman. Cicely Tyson is 92 and has no wrinkles, Angela Basset is 57 and has no wrinkles, Naomi Campbell’s mom is in her 70s and looks like she can be in her 40s. It doesn’t stop with these 3, look at Tina Turner. She’s 76 and has no wrinkles sagging. Black people in Africa don’t use sunscreen and tanning lotions from deceased and kidnapped caucasian people. When your dark skin, you don’t need sunscreen.… Read more »

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  modupe_2

I don’t use sunscreen and tell me what those before us were using before this invention. Sunscreens block the sun from penetrating the skin which in turn will lead to vitamin D deficiency. This is an area which we need to educate ourselves on because I strongly believe we are being sold a lie, literally.

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

I don’t need organic sunscreens. I don’t know anyone who follows me on Google who uses organic sunscreens. I am organic 😀 The only organic thing I need is food, aha. The fruits they call organic in the store has pesticides and germs. They always chemically engineer our food and make it at a lower price and when it’s naturally organic, it’s expensive. They want to kill you and your pineal gland. I don’t need artificial color or a tanning booth.

Rose
Rose

This is funny to me, but I guess black instagramers need the attention too. I definitely get a nice summer glow when I’m outside. I would never call it “tanning”, though, as that is strictly a white thing. Tanning, to me, means becoming the color tan/brown. I am already brown, naturally. I do get a summer *glow* though. Tan? No. I mean white people, look a completely different color when they finally get some sun. I always have a nice, rich color, but it can really start to glow with the extra sun, if that makes sense.

Mordor
Mordor
Reply to  Rose

Lol what? I’m black (with two dark African parents) but I’m light enough (caramel) to where the summer sun turns me into a lovely chestnut brown by mid June with the golden undertones coming back by July. Hell, my grandma hated it too, and she would tell me to stay out the sun all the time. I tan and I get a glow one after the other, and so do other Black people.

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

Looks wonderful. No sunscreen needed.

Janessa Brown
Janessa Brown
Reply to  Sabrina black

Use organic sunscreens.

Felina Femenina
Felina Femenina

Love it. Many beautiful women with glowing brown skin, having fun in the sun. 🙂

I haven’t gone to a beach since childhood, but this reminds me of how much fun it can be, and how much better I look when the sun evens out my complexion and gives it that radiant shimmer.