Youtube MakeUp Guru Publicizes Her Argument With Milani Cosmetics CFO on Social Media

Avatar • Apr 14, 2016

The internet beauty community erupted this week after celebrity Makeup Artist and Youtube Vlogger, Alexandra Bond, shared (via snapchat) the details of a recent encounter with the CFO of Milani Cosmetics. The specifics can be a bit hard to sift through, so here’s the breakdown:

• Alex was hired to do an event in Haiti.
  • The event was rescheduled, and then it was finally cancelled.
  • An airplane ticket was purchased in Alex’s name.
  • Alex learns that the full value of $640 ticket will be lost if someone doesn’t use it.
  • Alex calls Delta Airlines, and is credited $350 of the $640 ticket.
  • Alex applies the $350 credit to a new flight unrelated to Milani.
  • When Milani learns that the ticket has been cashed in for a credit they contact Alex and ask for the total $640.
  • Emails are exchanged with the CFO of Milani Cosmetics, but they (The CFO and Alex) couldn’t reach an agreement.
  • Alex calls the CFO to hammer it out.
  • Alex agrees to refund the $350 credit.
  • The Milani CFO wants the entire $640 and won’t take no for an answer.
  • According to Alex, the conversation takes a turn for the worse when the CFO begins to speak to her in a “dismissive and condescending manner.” “It took me by surprise,” Alex told us. “I’ve never spoken with the CFO before and I’ve been working with Milani for 5 years. She basically told me that I had to pay $640. She then brings up the fact that I am an engineer and that if I was as smart as they say, I’d do as she says.” Alex alleges that  they ended the call with the CFO stating, “Don’t have a good day. Have a bad life.”
  • Stunned and emotional, Alex takes to Instagram and Snapchat, tearfully recounting her side of the story.
  • Alex accuses the CFO of trying to bully her, a small business owner.
  • In solidarity, Alex’s supporters storm the Milani IG account with lipstick Emojis to show they stand with Alex and to call out the CFO for being unprofessional.
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 9.06.58 PM
  • Milani makes their IG private in an attempt to stop the flood of Alex supporters posting to their page
  • Eventually the owners of Milani Cosmetics catch wind of the story
  • They (the owners) call Alex and apologize on behalf of the CFO
  • The CFO emails Alex and likewise issues a formal apology
  • Milani and Alex are working on rebuilding their relationship

Bond who has been making YouTube videos since 2006 and has a longstanding relationship with Milani says it isn’t about the money.

I held it together on the call, but then I lost it. When I’m in my feelings I usually take it to snapchat…I really felt like they were some big company, and that they (The CFO) was thinking ‘you’re a little makeup artist and what you do compared to what we can do is nothing.’.… Never in a million years would I have thought so many people would have been involved. I was ready and willing to give back the money I spent. I just do not like or appreciate the way I was handled. It was the way she was like “this is what you better do or this is what you’re going to do.” I was shocked.

Folks have been weighing in with their verdict on who was right and who was wrong in this situation, however, the biggest thing to note here is that social media influence is real. Word about Bond’s video spread like wildfire throughout the black blogging and beauty communities, and sparked a much-needed conversation about the relationships smaller, personal brands, have with powerhouses like Milani Cosmetics. More and more brands are relying on social media influencers to help grow their businesses, but this is the first time we’re seeing how that power can potentially hurt larger corporations.

Bond issued the following statement via her rep:

Alexandra is a woman of integrity, and has worked hard to become a self-made success in the makeup industry. She will always be open, authentic, and honest about her experiences and that is why hundreds of thousands of supporters on social media relate to her and are passionate supporters of her endeavors.
Alexandra moves forward with dignity and in the spirit of forgiveness; she  wishes Milani Cosmetics all the best. Alexandra will continue to succeed, and is grateful for the outpouring of love and support during this most difficult time.

We reached out to Milani for a formal statement, but they declined.

Share your thoughts below!

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

Mary
Mary

All that drama over $640! Since I haven’t verified the facts, I won’t act like I know Ms. Bond’s version of the facts are absolutely accurate in fairness to Milani and its CFO. But, when you have a 5 year business relationship with someone who is supporting and advancing your brand, you do not want to take that for granted. So, hopefully this incident will serve as a wake up call for Milan, other large companies and their representatives to be more mindful and respectful of those in social media and the other supporters of their brand generally. There may… Read more »

Kay
Kay
Reply to  Mary

While I agree that the CFO should’ve been more respectful, Ms. Bond essentially stole from the company. Given that detail, it shouldn’t be on the Business to behave respectfully when dealing with a thief. Now I don’t believe Ms. Bond lacks integrity, I do however feel she lacks professionalism and maturity. If I owned a store and someone came in and stole an item or cash out of the register, is it on ME to treat that thief with respect or even be polite about demanding they return the item/cash immediately? No, and quite honestly I’d be livid. I understand… Read more »

Mary
Mary
Reply to  Kay

I said nothing to sign on to Ms. Bond’s version of the facts. I said nothing that in anyway condones theft. I DID say that unprofessional, discourteous behavior is not appropriate, even when things get heated. If you disagree with that, that is your right. But, please don’t misrepresent the things that I have said.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Mary

Bye girl. S. Williams got you all the way together lol Just let it go.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Kay

IF YOU DON’T GO AWWWFFFF!!!!!! YES!!!

S. Williams
S. Williams
Reply to  Kay

*slow claps with the stank face* YES!!!!!

Gina-Lee Cooper
Gina-Lee Cooper

DO NOT SPEND WHAT IS NOT YOURS. Period.
No company, big or small, will EVER respect you or your work when you have such terrible behaviour.
You came off as hungry and unprofessional. That was a tough spanking, but I hope you will learn the rich lesson behind it.

K. Maiza
K. Maiza

She had no right to use that money, credit, or whatever. She didn’t think they would notice since the event was cancelled. Since the ticket wasn’t paid for by her, she really does owe that company their money. Tears aside, the ticket was purchased for a specific reason, not for her to galavant and tootsie roll all over Miami. She lacks integrity. These ppl should be spamming her page instead.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  K. Maiza

I definitely agree with you and I love the galavant and tootsie roll portion.

Sharmee3647
Sharmee3647

Cut to the point the YouTuber had no right to any portion of a ticket she did not purchase.

Happywife Taylor
Happywife Taylor

I she should give Milani the money. They paid for the ticket. She didn’t. If the event was cancelled she should have let the ticket expire. She didn’t buy it.

darnray
darnray

#TeamNoOne She shouldn’t have cashed in any part of the ticket. That should have been handled by Milani, since they purchased the ticket. That said, the Milani CFO shouldn’t have reported to threats and personal attacks—they should have taken the $350 that Alex cashed in for personal use as reimbursement (just as they would have received from Delta).

Cheney Cherry
Cheney Cherry

Did Milani purchase the original ticket? If so, then why was Alex trying to use the ticket for something else after the event was cancelled? Either I’m missing something or something doesn’t sound right. If she tried to use the ticket for something unrelated to Milani then I would agree that she does owe them. A CFO is responsible for tracking all money spent. So when audited, she (the CFO) would have to explain the missing $640 for an event that was cancelled. Should the CFO have been professional in her attempt to recoup the money, absolutely. But I don’t… Read more »

K_
K_

While the aftermath is terrible..she should have never cashed in the ticket. It was hers to cash!!! Someone else bought the ticket in this case…the company and if they were going to lose the money then thats on them. It goes along with the rest of the losses for the quarter. Or perhaps THEY would have used the credit for something who knows. Let me repeat aftermath terrible but she was in no way justified in using that ticket to begin with

S
S
Reply to  K_

your contradicting what your saying.

liberianwoman
liberianwoman

Know your self worth and move on young lady. It sounds like CFO thinks the company made and/or owns you. Btw the ticket was not yours to cash in.

goodGOD!
goodGOD!

be careful with social media.…

Selena

Professionalism is extremely important but Alex was unprofessional as well, by trying to use the ticket for reasons unrelated to it’s purchase. I always try to look back and see what was the catalyst that caused a conflict and in this situation it was Alex. I’m not trying to take up for Milani or their CFO making belittling comments to someone you have a business relationship with is unprofessional. But all of this started with Alex and her choice to cash in on a refund for something she did not purchase, they call that fraud.

Interested
Interested

Let’s call it what it was, theft, and she’s seems dim enough not to have realised that. If that was my money I’d have been p*****d at the audacity, tho the CFO definitely could have handled it better.

Sandy
Sandy

Look I’m glad that they are reconciling there differences, but after all this, lets look at it for what it really is; she only apologized because of the retribution this would have caused. Black beauty bloggers and consumers all help put Milani cosmetics on the map and losing some if not all black consumers (may be a stretch but it’s possible) of Milani products because of this is too risky. Some ppl have already boycotted. For the CFO, It’s you “better apologize to this girl or lose your job”. They don’t want to lose there momentum because of this one… Read more »

Sandy
Sandy

and I agree with liberianwoman; you should have not cashed out that ticket. You do share some of the blame as to what happen here.

Tiff McGriff
Tiff McGriff

The ticket was not hers to cash in BUT she offered to give them what the airline credited her and they refused. So what the hell could she do after that. If she owes them anything, it would be the $340, not the whole amount since that’s not what she got credited.

Nila
Nila
Reply to  Tiff McGriff

Unfortunately, it’s not that simple as her just giving them back the money. Her cashing in that ticket was a problem for Milani. Companies are subject to yearly IRS audits when it comes to reporting any financial losses, such as an unused plane ticket. If the money does not follow the proper reporting trail, the company could face a huge fine from the IRS, even over something as minor as a $640 unused ticket. The CFO could have handled it lot better though.

Albt Fancy
Albt Fancy

Some of you fools below didnot read the full article .All of this could been avoided if the CFO took the $ 350 that was used as a credit instead they wanted her to pay the 640 that they spent. Get it? instead almost everyone below saying she should have given back the entire 640 for what? she was giving back what she used. People like the CFO are bullies when they are in certain authority- She was not wrong to use it because Milani would not get back the money as credit because once a ticket is purchase in your… Read more »

slayculture
Reply to  Albt Fancy

All she had to do was not use it! If you have $350 to pay back with no problem, why not just pay for your own ticket? None of that money, at that point, was hers to use.

Cosita
Cosita

So this vlogger does something shady as hell to this company then has the nerve to complain about being threatened with blackballed. I wouldn’t hire her. She had no business taking all or part of the proceeds from a ticket she didn’t pay for without at least discussing it with them to see if it was okay.That’s plain stealing. Or why didn’t she call and maybe offer the $350 in the beginning. I’m not saying the CFO should talk to her any kind of way but this is a grown woman. Using the ticket for her own use?? Nah She… Read more »

TWA4now
TWA4now

Unprofessional on both parties…especially Milian. It’s not what you say but how, it’s not what YOU do but how. Even if a person is wrong, no one deserves to be bullied or belittled.

Cindy
Cindy

That was trifling of her to take credit for something she didn’t pay for. They lost the whole 600+ because she took half credit that didn’t belong to her. THEN she wonders why they wanted it all back?!?! They should have dropped her behind from the start! This is just as bad as when she was begging for donations to go to a funeral and when people started talking about it, she snapped back with how rich she is and how she doesn’t need anyones money. Oh.…but she was asking for donations tho.…. Yeah social media is powerful and some people… Read more »

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

This Bond person seems shady and manipulative. Pay their money back. Such unprofessional behavior. Good luck booking future engagements. Bye girl.

Tea M
Tea M

wait I’m confused… so the ticket was in her name… the ticket and the money was going to expire and then she repurposed it for something else because she could and no one was claiming it. Milani wasn’t going to get their money at all, regardless of if she took it. If milani was going to take the $350 credit for another ticket then i could see their point but they wanted money back for something they were going to let expire anyway. So regardless of what she did the Milani books would still have shown 640 dollars wasted on… Read more »

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  Tea M

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. So what if it expired. I have purchased tickets I couldn’t use that expired. It happens. It’s their money regardless. They can put it in the trash and burn it if they want to. She had no right cashing in that plane ticket she didn’t pay for. And if she didn’t see anything wrong with it I feel like she would have called and talked to them about it BEFORE she did it. “Hi guys just letting you know that I found out the ticket you bought for me is… Read more »

newnew
newnew
Reply to  Tea M

But the difference is the company could have claimed that loss of $640 on their financial filings. When she cashed in on the ticket, she took that option away from them. Also, business to business transactions can be very different than business to consumer transactions given the volume of work they may do with a specific company (eg. this airline). We are not privy to what agreements they may have had in place with the airline (eg. insurance, credits, etc) and that’s not anything the Milani or the airline had to disclose to the MUA. Clearly the company had not… Read more »

Mka
Mka

The advantage of getting your story out first (not to mention the tears). She presents herself as the victim when she is the source of the problem.

SonyaPJ
SonyaPJ

This should be a non issue because, if we are to believe the article above, Ms. Bond basically took money that wasn’t hers. PERIOD. She took it upon HERSELF to decide what was to become of that plane ticket when it wasn’t even her place. When she got questioned about it, that’s when things turned ugly. I’m sure she got defensive in the process, but of course she’s not telling us the things she said that prompted the CFO to lose her composure. Either way the blame can be spread on both sides as far as the unprofessional behavior goes,… Read more »

Nicole
Nicole
Reply to  SonyaPJ

Exactly, outside of social media, this would never have been a case she could win. What concern is it of hers whether the ticket funds are lost if she fails to use it when she did not even pay for it. If she’s as astute a business women as we are supposed to believe, she would have contacted Milani and sought permission before doing what she did. How in her mind did she consider that the right and sensible thing to do?

C.bulluck
C.bulluck

Just because it was purchased in her name, doesn’t mean it’s ultimately hers for personal use. It was just a ticket with her name on it, not with her money. It would be different if they gave her the ticket as a gift, and then changed their minds and wanted the money back. Maybe I’m missing something. Social media does more harm than good most of the time.

Yogaladie
Yogaladie

Why on Earth would she cash in a ticket she did not pay for? Where is the debate? She stole from the company and when they called her out rather than called the police she thinks she has a grievance with them?! If she hadn’t cashed out the ticket the company may have been able to transfer that for a flight worth more than the cash out amount, but we don’t know because while this conversation that should’ve remained private was made public by an entitled woman who has had a very public lapse in self-awareness, the company has exhibited… Read more »

Theone
Theone

why did they work with her? She only has 25K subscribers her last video was done a month before and the one previous says a year before. She does have a instagram following of 92 K not sure if that happened before or after this “scandal” but she is posting about interviews and etc. Why use drama to get a name for yourself? The company has apologized let it end there. By the way is Milani black owned?

Lovely
Lovely

People do that with tickets all the time. Someone buys you a first class ticket you decide to switch to coach and get the credit for the remaining portion.i don’t think she was eight in getting the credit but a company arguing over $650 that they could easily write off on their taxes is petty and embarrassing. Sell some lipstick and charge the $650 to the game.

Nila
Nila
Reply to  Lovely

It’s not just a matter of writing that $650 off on their taxes. Because of past fraud companies have to report everything they do financially to the IRS or get punished and fined big $$. Her cashing in that check caused a huge headache for Milani, which is most likely why the CFO went off.

Terrell Coleman
Terrell Coleman

A friend of mine become a insider for a drugstore cosmetics brand. She got around 7 items from this brand. After she review the product she got a lovely email from the brand “Profusion” offering her a stack in a giveaway for her blog. Of course, she been blogging their product for a long time now.

Lisa a la Mode

An airplane ticket was purchased in Alex’s name.
Alex learns that the full value of $640 ticket will be lost if someone doesn’t use it.
Alex calls Delta Airlines, and is credited $350 of the $640 ticket.
Alex applies the $350 credit to a new flight unrelated to Milani.

i think i was pretty clear

Miss D
Miss D

Side eyeing anyone supporting this Bond character.…she’s a thief, period.

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  Miss D

True. Anyone who thinks this is okay is someone I would never ever want to do business with or have any kind of money transaction with.

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

“Tickets are not transferable unless otherwise stated on the ticket at the time it was issued.” Ticket was issued in her name not the company. The company no dought could not transfer it back without her doing so. A Company incompetency, she got a gift. This happens often when the company does not set up tickets correctly using a 3rd party many times. It’s like I said earlier (not sure if it was posted) someone buy you a house for $650,00 In your name, you on the deed, and months later decide not to give you the keys. So you go… Read more »

Lele215

I don’t have my glasses on but if I’m reading this correctly the two sides are arguing over a difference of $290. Listen if Milani is that pressed over $300, I would seriously look into the ingredients they are using and their manufacturing practices. I would question what they are doing with products that don’t sell. If things are that tight, I’m pretty sure they are cutting corners somewhere else.

forklift jones
forklift jones

So no one thinks it’s shady that she didn’t contact milani first before switching the ticket? Just so they were aware. Only reason for doing it behind their back was to be slick.

IVY95
IVY95
Reply to  forklift jones

you right!!!

nelle
nelle

I understand that Alex was upset that she was talked down to by the CFO, no one should be spoken too in that manner, but I do not understand why she would cash in for a credit or refund a ticket that she did not pay for, that is essentially stealing from that company. She clearly thought since Milani is such a big company that they wouldn’t notice what she did. If this was a small company or a person that she did this too people would be siding with the company or person and not Alex.

Alli
Alli

Alex is a dishonest, unprofessional individual. She is talented but her attitude is absolutely HORRIBLE. It is not mentioned if the foul things that Alex said to the CFO and that is wrong! I have experienced her and I can tell you, she lacks dignity. It sucks that Milani had to apologize to her as I am sure she needs to apologize to the CFO. People have on an undeserved pedestal and she needs a reality check. Running to social media after she was probably extremely disrespectful is so like her, she needs to grow up and deal with conflict… Read more »

Yurilyte
Yurilyte

BGLH you should specify that Milani bought the ticket in Alex’s name so that it’s clear that Alex cashed a ticket that wasn’t hers…I was briefly confused about that until I came to the comments.

Alex should’ve just left the ticket alone. It wasn’t hers to deal with. That way if Milani had a problem with the ticket going to waste due to the cancelled event it would’ve been on them, not her.

IVY95
IVY95

I’m sorry the Blogger should have not cashed in the ticket in the first place. If Delta called and told you all this, you should of directed them to the Milani Rep that booked it in the first place. And then you use the ticket credit for an event that wasn’t by Milani. I mean the CFO was wrong for being unprofessional but I can see why. Now unless there is more to the story that the author didn’t put down or that the blogger/ CFO isn’t tell us then ok…but the blogger was wrong in my eyes ..as in… Read more »