Woman Launches GoFundMe Campaign to Attend Prince’s Funeral

Avatar • Apr 23, 2016

Yes, you read that title correctly. While most of the world is mourning the passing of music legend, Prince, by sharing his pictures and music on social media, one fan has taken things a bit further. Meeka Late created a GoFundMe campaign with the hopes of securing $3,000 to cover the cost of attending Prince’s funeral. She writes:

Y’all know I love me some Prince… I just need y’all to help get me to his funeral. Lord I broke down in Sam’s Club… y’all I was on the floor SangN “Purple Rain”… This man was supposed to sang “Darling Nikki ” at my wedding.…. Lord help me make it through this!
Any donation will help.

So far, Late has secured $1,466 of her $3,000 goal most of which has come from someone named Johnathan Maravilla. Marvilla has been matching donations and has contributed over $700 to the cause. When asked to identify himself and his reason for backing this campaign, Marvilla wrote,

Someone asked who am I? I’m nobody, just a regular, degular, schmegular guy who lives in the NYC area. When random gofundmes pop up in my email, I donate to them. Some have been for good causes, some are ridiculous; like the PowerBall Reimbursement campaign I funded. There is no selection process, it’s just by chance.
While Marvilla is actively working to ensure this campaign is funded, many people have been leaving not-so-supportive comments on the campaign wall:
Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 12.12.18 PM Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 12.13.42 PM Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 12.12.51 PM Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 12.12.32 PM
Will you making a donation to Meeka’s campaign? Share your thoughts below!

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

Brad James?
Brad James?

Life must be tough where she’s from..?

Trisha Martin
Trisha Martin
Reply to  Brad James?

nope, not tough at all!!! she created it to see if anyone WOULD donate, they did, and although there wasn’t a funeral to attend, she’s still going to pay her respects, in his hometown, along with her mother and a few other family members. what a beautiful memory for them all. and all made possible by people who saw past judgment and wanted to see another person happy. end of story. 😉

Trisha Martin
Trisha Martin

hey there, i donated to this young lady, why…because i chose to. she didn’t scam anyone, people gave because they sincerely wanted to help her. i’m pretty sure, when she first started the fund me project, she was only seeing, IF, anyone would donate. to her surprise and a bunch of “bitter bettys and bens” people DID donate. so she didn’t make it to the funeral, oh well, now her and her family have an all expense paid, road trip ‚TO his birth place, where she can join others in celebrating his life. ain’t life grand, when you think outside… Read more »

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  Trisha Martin

Exactly, you either choose to donate or not and move on. It’s not that serious. I cannot fathom why some people are so concerned about what other adults choose to do with their money. Some of the comments on her gofund me page was so unnecessary. She asked and she received, no harm done. Live and let live.

Trisha Martin
Trisha Martin
Reply to  Victoria Owl

EXACTLY. it certainly brought out the ugly among the human race, for sure. i’m so thrilled to have been a part of making someone else happy, instead of sad.

tracena barnwell
tracena barnwell

I’m not gonna knock her cause I can relate to her being a true fan but now what cause there was no funeral just a memorial that stay under wraps until after it occurred. Maybe a trip to paisley park will ease her grief.

Trisha Martin
Trisha Martin

yes, she’s still going to his hometown, and creating a wonderful memory to boot. 😉

JMaravilla
JMaravilla

Ayyeeeee!!!! Very well written piece, btw.

Miss.
Miss.

I’m sorry but I’m choking on my food from laughing at those comments!! My people!! lawd…

Tamia
Tamia

If y’all can help her go see Prince, can you help send me to college?
And trust that its legit.

TWA4now
TWA4now

Yes, I hope she went and made a YouTube for us to.see.

TWA4now
TWA4now

I MUST admire her boldness. If a person never ask the answer is always no. I will NOT donate to her Prince funeral trip cause.

Trisha Martin
Trisha Martin
Reply to  TWA4now

yes, she’s to be admired, not put down, for her boldness. and everyone had a choice to either donate, or keep it moving, most chose to belittle and try to degrade. how helpful was that? anywho, i’m overjoyed for her, myself.