White-Owned T‑Shirt Company Creates ‘Becky with the Good Hair’ Tee

Avatar • Apr 27, 2016

Indie t‑shirt company Lattes & Selfies posted the following shirt prototype to their Instagram account.

becky with the good hair lemonade shirt

Now while we don’t know if the shirt is actually something the brand will eventually sell, the pettiness is very strong.

From the brand’s Instagram bio:

lattesandselfies

If you’re boring, lack a sense of humor or get offended easily byeeee. Thanks for trolling!”

Fair enough, but tangling with the Beyhive might not be the best idea. You see what happened to Rachel Roy!

Soundoff! What are your thoughts?

New Day
New Day

If you just have to have a “BECKY” T‑shirt at least contact a black owned clothing company and have them make it for you. You can find a bunch of the black owned clothing businesses here: http://blackownedclothingbrands.com/

caligal
caligal

To BGLH: Why don’t you all post more uplifting articles that can actually improve the black condition in this world? For example talk about the benefit of investing in black-owned businesses or even combating gentrification. I think you underestimate your audience. People who frequent your site are more “woke” than you all seem to credit us for. No more of the ratchet housewives garbage or dumb click bait like this (this article was clearly created for its shock value, am I right?).Just do something else. My point is your content sucks hard right now.

Cynthia Jackson
Cynthia Jackson
Reply to  caligal

Caligal. Thank you for that. I thought I was the only one who felt that way. As someone who enjoys BGLH I find myself depressed when I leave off this site. I don’t want to be reminded every time that black people or dark skinned women are undermined and unwanted. More positive posts.

Rose
Rose
Reply to  caligal

Right?? BGLH has the audience, but the content is generally thrown together within a day and awful.

ronke
ronke
Reply to  caligal

Amen Amen Amen. This blog is a far cry from what it used to be.

It feels like they’re trying to make the transition to sites like the shaderoom.

Xdbaam
Xdbaam
Reply to  ronke

This article is silly and Beyonce played the racist card by insulting someone on the only basis of her race no matter the bad feelings between them. Beyonce is a false feminist and uses pro black activism (which is extremely important for black communities all around the world. I am French myself and a proud black women ) to enhance herself.

Xdbaam
Xdbaam
Reply to  ronke

And may I add that if a white woman called me “hottentot with bad hair ” demonstrating her racist, as the proud black woman that I am I won’t mind wearing a t‑shirt with that insult on it just to shove it in her face cause this is called “reapropriation”. Just as Senghor and Cesaire took the word “Negre” in english (Nigger) to create the Négritude movement one of the most famous movement that participating in articulating black identity in Europe and Africa (with of course the Harlem Renaissance in the US) before the movements of the 60’s. So those… Read more »

Beatrice G.
Beatrice G.

Yawn.

Son of Spock
Son of Spock

Meh.

Son of Spock
Son of Spock

meh

Son of Spock
Son of Spock

meh meh meh

TWA4now
TWA4now

If Becky has good hair, does Lacreshia and the rest of us have bad hair?! By saying “good hair” even in a joking manner, implies there is something not measuring.up.to.the European standard of beautiful. Yes, they..Caucasus do have hair issues, but rarely are they getting fired over a high puff style or natural style. It’s silly, childish, petty, and small-minded…TO THE LEFT AND NEXT!