About That Time a “Pro” Makeup Artist Jacked My Face Up

Avatar • Apr 1, 2016
About That Time a "Pro" Makeup Artist Jacked My Face Up | KlassyKinks.com

I’ve now joined the ranks of really good looking black women (yes, I just said I’m really good looking, deal with it!) who end up looking cray cray with poorly matched makeup. My compadres include Uzo Aduba, Rihanna, pre-mogul Oprah, and our favorite sister girl Taraji P. Henson. How did I get here? I had the privilege of being invited by Au Naturale by Dark and Lovely to model in Texture on the Runway, a NYFW show to celebrate textured hair put together by Texture Media and Target. My hair was on fleek, but unfortunately, my makeup was NOT.

black women wrong foundation | KlassyKinks.com

Here’s what happened. I happily go luckedly arrived to prep on the day of the show with a fresh face and my hair in twists, as instructed. Once my hair was done, I was excited to see that Milani was providing makeup for all the models – I love their baked blushes and eyeshadows and generally think of them as a WOC friendly makeup brand. I sat in the chair and had a pleasant encounter with my makeup artist (who I believe was of East Asian descent), who proceeded to recreate Dark and Lovely’s pink inspired makeup look on my face. To be honest, by the time I left the chair I thought my face looked ok – I was so concerned with how pink eyeshadow looked on me that I didn’t fully scrutinize the foundation match (errr, mismatch). I should have had the intuition to more closely inspect my face because I did have to request that my eyebrows be done (have you seen my brows? they alwaysneed to be done) and eyeliner be added, but I wasn’t expecting a full beat in 15 minutes.

About That Time a "Pro" Makeup Artist Jacked My Face Up | KlassyKinks.com

My hair was styled by Derick Monroe, and fierce enough to land me in a post by PopSugar about natural hair beauties at NYFW!

Unfortunately, once pictures of the show came out, I became embarrassed to share them because MY MAKEUP LOOKS SO BAD. Whatever mix of cream foundations that my makeup artist chose to use on my face oxidized to a yellow/olive that starkly contrasted with my more neutral undertones.

About That Time a "Pro" Makeup Artist Jacked My Face Up | KlassyKinks.com

I LOVED my outfit by Samantha Black from Project Runway though!

Now the plight of a black women cursed with bad makeup isn’t new, not for celebrities or even forreal models. For some reason though, I associated makeup mishaps with darker skinned women, and thought that my medium skin tone would absolve me from makeup drama. I mean, I look GOOD when my makeup is done correctly.

Engagement Makeup by JuicyLooks by Abby | KlassyKinks.com

Makeup slayed two days later by Abby of Juicy Looks!

I blame makeup brands for not training artists on melanated skin, and for clearly not having artists demonstrate they can do makeup on people of color before getting hired – even when they themselves are people of color *rolls eyes*. If I do get invited back to an event like this, I’ll be sure to bring my own makeup bag so I can focus on not tripping down the runway, rather than stressing about whether or not my face will look crazy.

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A “PROFESSIONAL” MAKEUP ARTIST MESS UP YOUR MAKEUP?

About Klassy Kinks

KlassyKinks.com founder and editor, Ijeoma Eboh, is on a mission to change perceptions of kinky textured hair around the world. You can find her on social media @klassykinks.

Khala
Khala

Umm your makeup actually looks completely fine…

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn
Reply to  Khala

no its uneven and her face looks very oily

OXxo
OXxo
Reply to  Khala

When someone has foundation on it’s not suppose to be completely obvious that they are wearing it. When foundation colours don’t match darker skinned women it looks patchy.

kalexa1
kalexa1
Reply to  OXxo

Any colour skin mismatch looks patchy. I’ve seen white women with oompah loompah orange neck tide marks half way down their necks. Yikes!

kalexa1
kalexa1
Reply to  Khala

So the clearly visible yellow line around her hairline that looks mask-like, and the mismatch on her neck business are “completely fine” in your estimation?? Wow.

TWA4now
TWA4now

They need to ensure make up.artists know what they are DOING with ALL skin.types…especially women.of.color!!! I.usually experiment on.my own.when.i apply my make up. No.matter how many colors they add for black.women, I am usually in between colors. I rather do it MYSELF before I let a “professional” do.it…same thing goes for my natural hair…most DON’T know, experimenting, or will.charge me.an.arm.and.leg.for.their service.…I.rather do.it.myself!

kalexa1
kalexa1

lol

layla
layla

honestly she looks so beautiful. I havent seen many black people as I live in an asian country but this woman is just so beautiful even with bad foundation!

ss (short & sweet)
ss (short & sweet)

I see the makeup mismatch! Never saw the pictures of Oprah and Taraji before, they deserved much better. (But you still look fabulous tho’!)

dmthmpsn
dmthmpsn

I’m so done with this blog. What happened? This post is doing the most about silliness. It’s insulting. Find new topics, Nayilah Franklin, the Presidential election, long hair, anything but this foolishness…

No chill
No chill

Confused why she kept referencing how good she looked as if she was beautiful. Also, make up mishaps happen often not prone to just dark skinned women.

imnoteva
imnoteva
Reply to  No chill

and if she callled herself ugly, you’s be commenting about low self esteem, no one can believe they are beautiful anymore or what? “as if she was beautiful”. she is. mtchew!

kalexa1
kalexa1
Reply to  imnoteva

No, it’s simply a case of “Let another man praise thee”… Not needing to draw attention to it yourself. In these days of YouTube and Blogger narcissism it’s become the norm though.

Miss.
Miss.
Reply to  No chill

Lmao “as if she was beautiful” have several gd seats. How would it feel if you were feeling good about how you looked and someone said the same spiteful Shite to you. you’d be smiling, right?

God FORBID she think she looks fab and beautiful, how dare she?! She should feel horrible about herself all the time because you don’t think she looks good!

Cami
Cami

Always always always bring your own foundation. Sometimes lighting or even a lack of color range will result in any makeup artist mismatching you.

Also, Uzo and Rihanna’s make up were fine. Looks like Rihanna was going for a playful goth look and Uzo went dramatic.

Return the Stone
Return the Stone

There are some make up brands that cater specifically to black women like Black Radiance, but I’m pretty sure it’s not just black women that deal with bad makeup in general it’s a lot of women who are probably still testing out certain colors but can’t get it right

OXxo
OXxo

Oddly enough the worse people behind the make up counter in choosing foundation colours are East Indian women. They do not seem to have a clue about matching foundation to skin tone. (They are all suppose to be make uo artists as well.) It’s all the more shameful because not all of them are light skinned.

You can argue whether it’s due to the brand not training them, but if white camp men don’t have the problem I think it’s the assistant themselves who isn’t artistic enough and up to the job.

trackback

[…] Girl Long Hair (BGLH) was created in 2008 by Leila Noelliste as a hub for natural hair care. The site has grown tremendously since then with more than 2 […]