21 Naturals Rocking Undefined Fros for Formal Occasions

Avatar • Apr 12, 2016

Though natural hair has been making its way into formal environments, styles have generally been limited to stretched updos, defined curls, or braids.  While there is nothing wrong with any of these looks, some of us (me included) want the freedom of letting our hair “do what it do” with very little to no manipulation.  Enter the undefined afro, which has been gradually making its way into formal (and semi-formal) environments.  Here are twenty-one photos of naturals slaying this natural look at weddings, parties, and more.

Solange at her wedding. Source: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-style/pictures/solange-knowles-alan-ferguson-wedding-album-20141711/42186

Solange at her wedding. Source: http://www.usmagazine.com/

Are you confident enough to rock an undefined fro to a formal or semi-formal event?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Tammy Allen
Tammy Allen

I liked all of the looks, my only concern is, how do you take care of this hairstyle?

dwntomars
dwntomars
Reply to  Tammy Allen

That’s the thing about it, YOU DON’T! Its not really a hairstyle, its kind of just the way your hair grows out of your head.

Little product, no manipulation, all beauty.

Interested
Interested
Reply to  Tammy Allen

If you use the LOC system and a holey sponge (plus a little gum/wax/styling gel) you can do it fresh everyday in under 10 mins

EbonyinOjai
EbonyinOjai
Reply to  Tammy Allen

Um…

Tammy Allen
Tammy Allen
Reply to  Tammy Allen

I want to thank those who responded with positive answers and giving me constructive ideas on how I too can rock this look. I have been wearing my hair in it’s “Natural” state for a little over 5 years now and I just love the freedom of it. But I have NEVER been a woman who knew how to style my hair even when I had relaxers in my hair. I mostly wear my hair in the two strand twist outs but want to experiment with different “Natural hair styles” and I am even learning how to wear hair scarves… Read more »

mds29
mds29
Reply to  Tammy Allen

No problem Tammy Allen. I try not to worry about negative comments because I don’t want that negativity festering in my mind, that’s just too much over comments. Sometimes people tear each other down because that’s how they may feel about themselves. Some people don’t like when you feel good about yourself too.
I normally google “4C hairstyles or afro hairstyles” or check pinterest for ideas on how to style my hair. Lately a side puff/afro has been my go style.
Good luck with your hair journey and stay positive 🙂

Tammy Allen
Tammy Allen
Reply to  mds29

Thank you mds29 for your positive and informational answer. I am on You Tube a lot “TRYING” to learn new styles but as I mentioned before, I’ve never really learnt how to style my hair and I guess that comes from my not really being interested in this before. Now that I’ve become older and now enjoy the freedom of wearing my hair natural, I am wanting to learn new styles and I guess all it takes is “Practice, Practice, Practice”.

Interested
Interested
Reply to  Tammy Allen

Use the loc system — liquid, oil then cream, add some gum at the end, then use a sponge with the holes.

Guest
Guest
Reply to  Tammy Allen

With an afro pick.

Jack
Jack
Reply to  Tammy Allen

Moisturize and wash and you would normally. I sleep with a bonnet and/or scarf, moisturize and detangle in sections. If I’m in a hurry and rub product between my hands and scrunch in ‘fro and just shape it with my fingers.

mds29
mds29
Reply to  Tammy Allen

Hello Tammy Allen,
From my experience, you can do 4–8 chunky twist before your go to bed, then untwist and fluff or you can leave it as is under a bonnet when you sleep, then spray with a leave in or water to loosen shrinkage, stretch/pull gently on the ends of your hair and fluff. But if you sleep as is with a bonnet, think of tangles. Hope this helps 🙂

Atjs
Atjs
Reply to  Tammy Allen

Why are you concerned? You take care of it the same way you take care of natural hair.

cryssi
cryssi

Did for my 25th birthday party

Interested
Interested

Really positive to see a collection of images where the women with 4b/c type hair are the majority rather than a casual throw in.

EbonyinOjai
EbonyinOjai

Someday black women will stop asking permission and simply BE regardless of who likes it or not. Maybe next century.

Basically all this ‘article’ means is that black women who don’t have Tracee Ellis Ross hair also exist. DUH

alexwek
alexwek
Reply to  EbonyinOjai

yep, very true

Cosita
Cosita

These ladies are just gorgeous. I would have to manipulate my naturally coily hair to get it to look like an undefined fro like this. I did it one time and it was a lot of work using heat to get the coils stretched out. I don’t generally use heat. I took a picture because it was very pretty. Don’t want to do it again any time soon though.

Yemi
Yemi

So much fluffy, cottony goodness! These ladies all look so beautiful.

Yemi
Yemi

I know what you mean. When I get those looks, I remind myself that through no fault of our own, we were taught to hate our unique features and unfortunately, that hatred has been passed down for generations. I was once one of those people who loathed natural hair — completely hated it and thought it was ugly. And now, I absolutely adore my super kinky, type 4 hair and wouldn’t straighten it permanently for the world. So I know others are capable of experiencing the same mental transformation…it just takes time. Our hair is BEAUTIFUL and that you love… Read more »

mds29
mds29
Reply to  Yemi

Stay gorgeous too Yemi 🙂

Milos Mom
Milos Mom

Awesome post!

appassionata
appassionata

No bravery required–it’s MY hair, I rock it as I like. It’s everyone else’s job to get on board with it, or not.

tee
tee
Reply to  appassionata

Speak.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  appassionata

THIS. Thank you. If I’m not going to define my coils, I just pick my hair out with my fingers and fluff and pat it into some kind of basic but not-too-perfect shape. I try to avoid the “microphone ‘fro” look as much as possible. In my experience, though, to the uneducated eye the undefined ‘fro is my everyday style, regardless of whether I define my coils or not. Back before black folks got hip (again) to the idea that natural Afro-textured hair on women is okay as it is, I used to get asked if I would ever straighten… Read more »

Cosita
Cosita

They’re jealous haters. Ignore

Elle P.
Elle P.

Yassss!

Tammy Allen
Tammy Allen

I care because I too wear my hair natural and there are NUMEROUS ways to care for natural hair. I know that from wearing my hair in it’s natural hair texture for the past 5 years, it takes a lot of maintenance, if you want to avoid breakage. It takes more maintenance than getting a relaxer/perm/weave. I am concerned because as I would like to try different natural hairstyles, I wonder about the maintenance of this hairstyle. Let me ask you a question, WHY the hostile question and comment? This is the problem with our people. We attack instead of… Read more »

MrsMokM
MrsMokM

My man loves my afro. I think I’ll wear it ‘as is’ to our wedding. I’m feeling inspired!

NOW WHAT??
NOW WHAT??

I love to see our beautiful lambs wool embraced. & yes, I rock my fro everyday! I am 5yrs natural!

mds29
mds29

I love how I look with my natural fro but honestly I do not like the stares I get from some black people. It is kind of negative but I try not to let it get me down. An afro with pearl earrings/studs looks lovely on everyone IMO 🙂

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

I’ve been planning hairstyles for my niece’s wedding next September. This post has inspired me to consider rocking an undefined fro.

Dee
Dee

Loved this article. Refreshing.

Sharon Simmons
Sharon Simmons

Growing up in the 70’s, an afro was an afro. Why label it? We didn’t define it. When I was kid, I would wet it and then make bantu knots and in the morning comb it out with a pic. I would go to the White House with my mixed grey style.