White Howard University Student Who ‘Loves’ Black Women Has Questionable Views on Race

Avatar • Mar 26, 2016

Yesterday, BGLH posted about Russell Schiller, a white Howard University student who launched a #blackwomenarebeautiful photography campaign featuring black women from his historically black university. Many lauded his efforts to highlight black beauty in a society that is dominated by white assimilation and beauty norms. However, today some tweets of his came to light that made several question his sincerity or even his motives. I first saw the tweets posted by @brokeymcpoverty, criticizing Ebony Magazine for running the piece highlighting Schiller.
Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 11.46.05 AM
Now, there are several things wrong with these tweets and how they tie to Schiller’s connection to black women and our culture. For one, it seems that white people love to admire and emulate black culture, but don’t seem to respect it. Black people have expressed to other races ad nauseam that the use of the word “nigga” is unacceptable (I don’t care if it’s a song lyric or not), and yet, they refuse to stop saying it. The fact that Schiller thinks he can use this term (as early as a year ago, according to his tweets, which have now been deleted) shines a light on his white privilege that he clearly still exhibits and exploits.
The tweet describing his mother’s thoughts is especially problematic, as many white people inserting themselves into black culture often love to tell their black friends how racist or prejudiced their parents are against black people, then reassure us that they aren’t that way. We get it, you aren’t racist. Want a cookie?

Furthermore, after seeing these tweets, his campaign (which honestly, I wasn’t feeling from the beginning) shifts from “sweet” to remind me of the narrative of white men fetishizing black women. He may find black women beautiful, but does he respect us? Are we seen as equal, or should we be happy that a white guy is looking our way?

Schiller has since tweeted a statement of apology for his previous remarks:

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 7.21.51 PM
That’s nice and all, but honestly, I’m not really buying it, nor do I care. We have so many uplifting hashtags and campaigns for black women — Black Girls Rock, Black Girl Magic…that were created by US. To see a white man fawn over black women so publicly and boldly while sliding into our space and disrespecting us doesn’t sit right. I think that this situation proves that we should continue to support and uplift one another without validation from men, especially white men.
So Russell, thanks, but no thanks.

rat
rat

YESSSSS preach!

omg this blog has gotten so heavy

Emily
Emily

See this is why I don’t trust white people who say they want to help the black or Hispanic community.

Emily
Emily

I have to be real here. My first reaction to his work wasn’t because black women finally get validation from white men. My pride in his work was finally interracial dating is become normalize. I am engaged to a white man. And I think a black man dating an Asian or white woman is seen as total normal. But in my opinion white men dating a Hispanic or black girl is still seen as odd in our society, even demonized.

Beauty
Beauty

I often wondered why white men all of a sudden started approaching me.…Deep down inside it made me think he must think I’m some kind of experiment project…I insistently blocked and delete that conversation…White men are down right sneaky little snakes

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess
Reply to  Beauty

so true

Sweet Dolls
Sweet Dolls

I read the article. White men are never to be trusted. All they are for black women are mulatto baby makers. No Bueno.

Adia
Adia

This is what happens when, not just letting people into our culture but we don’t teach them to respect it. Be friends with people from a different race ‚however we let them get comfortable. We say because of the way they dress and act yr like a black guy/girl we in turn treat them like they are black people their not. No and they should no better to not act like that it basically says you can wear this culture whenever you choose to command respect. We confuse this romanisation of our culture of them liking us no. I’m for one… Read more »

TT
TT

Here we go with the N word debate again. It will never end. White people will continue to say the word whether or not black people say otherwise.. Hell they invented the word. 30 years from now we’ll be dealing with the same bs.

BeastOfNoNation
BeastOfNoNation

I get that you’re comfortable with your step daughter but allowing her to use that word really isn’t going to help her in the future. Not everyone’s gonna know her background nor will they take it lightly. If a little white girl walked up to me and casually threw out the word ‘nigga’, I would not take it lightly. For her own safety, please stop using that word around her. there’s no good to come from it.

Medusa
Medusa

I think the word “nigga” should be discontinued. All people should not say it anymore. I am black, I don’t use it when I speak and don’t understand why we as black people love to throw it around casually but have a problem when someone non-black says it. It should be offensive no matter who says it. Just stop.

La Bandita
La Bandita

I found one…

Danielle Middleton
Danielle Middleton

From the first time I saw this post I thought it was fetishism. I’m not surprised at all.

Ty Williams
Ty Williams

Great assessment! This is why I have no interest in white men who are influenced by black men

BlackJesus
BlackJesus

I’m alright with Russell. If I have to accept that not every person who appears to be male identifies as male then why is it farfetched for me to accept that not every person who appears white identifies as such? He seems harmless enough to me. I don’t mind compliments either lol

Worst to worst he’s a wannabe. But am I a wannabe for attending a PWI and wearing Minnetonka slippers? Maybe. Those shits are comfortable though…

SophieBeans
SophieBeans

I was suspicious as soon as I read the earlier piece… there was something very off-putting about his feeling of validating the beauty of black women, and how much people blushed under the compliments of a white guy. And this shows that he feels some ownership of black culture. His apology was nice, but he obviously has spent a long time feeling like he understands being black more than he should have.

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn

no thank u mr trump

dmthmpsn
dmthmpsn

I agree with you wholeheartedly…all except for the last sentence where your tone went to one of disdain. Not everyman, black or white is out to get us. There is a thin line between being aware and revealing all sides to a story and allowing every single infraction on the Internet to be isolated and reported if it doesn’t 100% agree or shed light or bring us to the center of the conversation. This is starting to make “us” sound bitter and angry. Lighten up. Your blog reaches black women who in the whole grand scheme of things have running water,… Read more »

zenny
zenny

Not Shocking. Plus any middle class brat can snap a decent picture, its 2016. All you need is a social media account and a high end camera, try harder. No shit black women are beautiful, I see yall/us everyday killing it so much other people trying to copy and they just get bitter and hate to see black beauty credited. Bye Timothy, go drink some milk.

Philae
Philae

The problem in America is that you care too much about the color, “him white”, “us black”, you perpetuate the seperation saying things like that. Okay Russel doesn’t seem really clean for me, but your claim (although legetime) sounds to me really narrow-minded.
I’m black and I don’t care about races, I don’t feel the need to differientate people by where they come from.

blueberry_martini
blueberry_martini

i’m glad you posted this! 🙂

Rachel
Rachel

Welp.

Jernella Chedick
Jernella Chedick

I think his thinking has matured and that’s what made him do that campaign, imo he’s not fetishizing because he grew up in a mostly black community. A white man doing this, is not really a problem because with white privilege and other advantages he has could aid in advancing our agenda. All help should be accepted.

clever_moniker

I want to say that I’m shocked, but…

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess

So he was talking the way his peers talked?

lis
lis
Reply to  CocoaGoddess

Exactly.…..This is what hiphop culture has wrought.…..and he got it from the Black males he was around.….Black women if a nonblack man, White or otherwise likes your features expecially your African features does not mean he is fetishisngyou.…How come only Black women are always worried about some non Black person ‘socalled fetishisingthem when other groups of women are complimented when their racial features are liked.…If you are with someone and love them you should be their fetish.…geez.…not everything is march or sista soldier worthy.….If non black men like your African features good…especially because so many of you are always crying… Read more »

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess
Reply to  lis

Did I say all of that though? No. And black males did not create the word, white people did.

Animated Moi
Animated Moi

Thank you for posting this follow up to the original post that was co-signing this fetishism…At first so many commentators were so excited that a white man validated our already known beauty. Now you see how he really feels. And that sorry excuse and apology is just that…sad!

Copyright101
Copyright101

To see a white man fawn over black women so publicly and boldly while
sliding into our space and disrespecting us doesn’t sit right.

Absolutely agree, this worthless cuck gets everything he deserves. And the tone of your comments makes it quite clear — separation is the way.

Deana Becker
Deana Becker

Some privileges come from birth, some are handed to you. Schiller’s skin is the privilege he was born with, but his use of “Nigga” and it’s context was GIVEN to him by other Black folks. Keep it 100%. We need to stop using this word and it’s derivatives as “terms of endearment”. Ugly roots will eventually bloom ugly flowers.

clever_moniker
Reply to  Deana Becker

We didn’t make up the word so it could be argued he has more cause to use it than we do. It’s a word with a hateful history that we took over. White people have never needed anyone’s permission to call someone a nigger.

Mike
Mike

Personally, I ALWAYS find it extremely creepy how these white men and women get on social and proclaim their “love” for black people like we are some charity case. And then they EXPECT so much praise from everybody because in their minds, they think are so liberal and forward thinking and that we should be happy that they talking to our black asses. But im not suprised when it comes out that a white person is racist because most of them are cut from the same cloth.

cryssi
cryssi

Thank you do the update.

Wow! The fact that it took someone calling him out on his foolishness, to realize it is foolishness, is just sad. He should have made amends and deleted the posts way before now, because it seems insincere now.

A.P. Millz-CT
A.P. Millz-CT

Man, I tell ya.… Fux this white boy.

Spirit
Spirit

Honestly it sounds like he was raised around black people and assimilated to the culture. I think people are getting too sensitive. And as far as him fetishistzing us hell black men have been doing it for for forever, I want to see the utter backlasha at your own doig it!!!

truenaturalhair
truenaturalhair

black women better get it together.…these are signs of the times when it comes to social media

KEMET
KEMET

Disgusted but not surprised, racists individuals have no problems having sexual (and purely sexual will no intention of getting emotionards.ally involved or committing) encounters with the race their hate is directed towThis white guys is just looking to get a nut in the first Black womean that falls prey to this utter nonsense.ar

Purple Sound
Purple Sound

I knew it! Whenever there’s a “White guy proclaims love and appreciation for Black women” story, I always give the side-eye because within 1–2 days, it comes out that he’s been using racial slurs on social media. The nerve of some people.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

Chile.…lemme grab my tea cup

Rosandra M. Davis
Rosandra M. Davis

I personally don’t like the N‑word regardless if it end in er or ga. I think it is an ugly word no matter whose lips they fall from. I tire of hearing the boys at work saying what’s up[ N. That’s my N. I recall one time in the break room they were using the N word and they looked around to see if any of the white people, where going to react. We are all in this world together, we should all love each other. I live my life like Dr. King’s message in his I have a Dream… Read more »

Luke the duke!
Luke the duke!

I’m so tired of people getting mad about this. Who cares. At least he says it in your gave and not like most of these cowers who do it behind your back. Plus if he was raised around blacks all his life so what you expect. My step Daughter is the whitest white and I say nigga around her all the time and she is 3. I dare someone, any race to judge her or pick their hands on her if she says it. I elm be serving a fucken prison sentence, believe it!

Staci Elle
Reply to  Luke the duke!

Well You’re going to stay fighting because if any little white girl yours or not came up tp me or mine sayin ni99a she’ll catch one real quick to the head and gut, know that… and you cant fight and win with everyone one so prepare your azz whoopin too, you deserve it!

Staci Elle
Reply to  Luke the duke!

You’re a disgrace and Im sure both of u will get plently of a$$ whoopins in the future. Enjoy!