Renowned Austrian Composer Credits His Creativity to His ‘Slave Play’ Marriage to Black Sexuality Author

Avatar • Mar 2, 2016

On February 23, the New York Times profiled Georg Friedrich Haas, a 62-year-old Austrian composer and Columbia University professor whose works have been commissioned by opera houses worldwide.

The article praises Haas’ recent spurt in creativity and prolificness, recognized and applauded by his peers in the contemporary classical music industry. Haas credits his artistic revival to being dominant in a slave play relationship with his wife, Mollena Williams-Haas, whom he met in 2013 and married in September 2015.

The New York Times

Haas and Williams-Haas, The New York Times

Haas, who has been married 3 times before, says that his music was previously limited because of his inability to explore his sexual desires. His work is better now that he can, he says.

Mr. Haas said that he felt liberated after what he described as a lifetime’s and three divorces’ worth of suppressing what he once considered “devilish” desires. The change has altered his music in ways both quantifiable and more ineffable. He said that his productivity had roughly doubled since meeting Ms. Williams-Haas, which will delight his fans…

His move to New York several years ago to take the position at Columbia seemed to open up new personal possibilities. “The most important step,” he said, “was to accept, yes, I want to be dominant. Yes, I love to play with pain.” These are matters he had long considered, even if unconsciously, in his music, he said. His exacting, virtuosic style gives a whiff of the dominant-submissive to the composer-performer relationship. The same can hold true for the composer-audience relationship, particularly in works like Mr. Haas’s third string quartet, “In iij. Noct,” 50 minutes performed entirely in the dark. The JACK Quartet will play it on Wednesday at the Austrian Cultural Forum.”

Williams-Haas does not say much in the profile, aside from briefly speaking on the racial dynamic of a black woman playing slave to a white, European man.

Ms. Williams-Haas, who described the situation as feminist because it is her choice, said, “I find intense fulfillment in being able to serve in this way.”

She conceded the discomfort many may feel with a black woman willingly submitting to a white man. “It’s a struggle to say, ‘This is genuinely who I am,’” she said. But she added, “To say I can’t play my personal psychodrama out just because I’m black, that’s racist.””

Williams-Haas is expected to make Haas’ life “as comfortable as possible.” Speaking at the Bawdy Storytelling event, Williams-Haas revealed that this includes serving as his muse, being sexually available to him at all times and having sex with other men that he selects for her, as he watches. She refers to him as “Herr Meister” which translates to “Lord and Master”. The collar Williams-Haas wears around her neck signifies that she is owned by Haas. This arrangement is not atypical of dominant-submissive sexual relationships, however the racial dynamic obviously raises eyebrows.

So who is Mollena Williams-Haas?

The 46-year-old has a long and prolific career exploring kink, BDSM and alternative sexual lifestyles, which she also discusses on her website, The Perverted Negress.

She is an author, performer, speaker, teacher and has been quoted in publications including Essence, Ebony, Huffington Post and the New York Times.

On her website Williams-Haas insists that she is able to separate her desires to be dominated from her history as the descendant of American slaves..

…we, as Black women, are often expected to carry the weight of history such that even expressing our sexuality must be an act scrubbed clean of anything that might resemble non-consensuality. Furthermore, the idea that we are aware of and deliberately choosing to express ourselves as sexually liberated is fraught because we can’t possibly escape the crushing jaws of institutionalised racism. Any Black Woman who would agree to submit, as fantasy or even for a few minutes in a music video, must be a self-hating Negro who needs to have her Mama sit her down right now and talk some damn sense into her…

I think it is rather a shame that we are proscribed from enjoying particular flavors of sexuality because of our racial heritage, ethnicity, skin color, what have you.

I understand why. I absolutely understand that people perceive this as a dangerous slippery slope. I cannot help but wonder at how much more slippery it is for us to step out of authenticity. Is it preferable that we deny our core sexual desires for the sole reason that it “looks bad?” How slippery is it when we, the casual observer, make assumptions about the self-esteem of the players involved in the exchanges we witness?

I have worked for many years to center myself and focus on creating a positive, grounded basis for my submission. This has not been easy. I struggled for years with the idea that my submission was an insult to my ancestors and an affront to other Black women in particular. I realised, though, that living my life in a way that is truly authentic to myself and doing so from a place of honesty, humility, and self-respect is more critical than covering my singular light under a bushel basket of fear. I absolutely believe it is a far worse fate to spend my life wondering “what if I’d just…?” than to wade in, heart and arms open, damn the torpedoes slings and arrows and experience the damn thing.”

However, in a recent blog post, Williams-Haas spoke honestly about the difficulty of playing slave to her husband.

It is easy to give lip service to submission. It is more difficult to actually bend one’s will to another when you’re rebelling against those things you are ordered to do. It is extremely difficult when you are struggling with feeling like you absolutely know what is best, and yet you are obligated to walk the path differently because of the will or whim of the person you serve. Trust needs to be built and maintained and, when damaged, given room to grow…

I have found myself having to choke-chain my own demon in order to protect my owner from the rage and teeth and fangs she’d undoubtedly use to deleterious effect if let her run rampant. I have a bad temper of my own, but that needs must be checked lest it further fuel his, and tip the balance away from the path of healing upon which he is so newly embarked. It can feel deeply frustrating to feel as though I have to be the one in control while he struggles to learn to trust me. And, most troublingly, it is difficult to maintain my own boundaries, to remain in integrity with The Prime Directive while I am, myself, questioning whether or not my obedience is Righteous And Right or Dangerous And Damaging. It can be tough to look within yourself, teetering on the edge of a maelstrom’s moiling murky maw, and wondering if you are embodying a good slave or a whipped jade.”

Listen to Williams-Haas discuss meeting Haas in a story titled Lucky.

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

Is this story for real? Am I dreaming I just read this? Lol
All I could think was, hope he don’t ask her to hang her self from a tree
While his white men friends look on.

This site sure has changed. I got to go read something uplifting now. Lol sad.

cryssi
cryssi
Reply to  Deedeemaha

I miss the Hair and Style icons, I loved those. I miss the mainly hair oriented approach of the site with a few news and pop culture lightly sprinkled in. Now it’s the reverse of that.

cryssi
cryssi

This is some sick creepy mess going on here. If you don’t want the world judging your disgusting and offensive home life, don’t tell us.

Nila
Nila

No words…

wakakaja
wakakaja

Some days I say, “If you’re into race play, you don’t love yourself.” Other days I say, “It’s none of my business what you do in your bedroom, yet I think you should be free to do whatever as long as you don’t hurt anybody.” So this makes me torn. I hope people just get the, “I do what makes me happy and that’s feminism too,” part of this story and not the, “race play makes you awful and dumb” part.

Elle P.
Elle P.

Ummmm.…. *looks confused **

Redseouls
Redseouls

Da fuq

Mka
Mka

????

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly

What is this mess, and why does anyone need to have knowledge of it???

Having read this, I feel like I’ve been contaminated. Let’s stop spreading pollution for the sake of attention. This entire story should have been left in the dark recesses of their plantation bedroom where it belongs.

goodGOD!
goodGOD!

T…M…I

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

what the fudge did I just read? I cannot…Bye!

MalikaiDragonSlayer
MalikaiDragonSlayer

Umm…This the typa ish you keep to your self.

lis
lis

Oh lord.….This is too much even for me.…. Can we talk about hair? .…..I’ve found some great new hair on youtube.…at least new to me. For instance.…Cynthiarf.….her hair is amazing. ..and she only uses one product.…no butters or oils.…The product is called Sprangz. …it’s actually a leave in and hair tools…and I will be purchasing when I get these braids out. There’s also Tritchaann Ruddock.….Her hair is also amazing and she’s so casual about it.. no protective styling, wears it out most of the time, dyes and blow it out whenever and still grew her hair out amazingly.…Love her and her I love… Read more »

SheridaDaily
Reply to  lis

Oh I remember Cynthiarf from way back—The original 4C youtuber, I love her!
Thanks for this list 🙂

lis
lis
Reply to  SheridaDaily

You’re welcome.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  lis

I’ve been a cynthiarf fan for years…mainly because I was so skeptical about her methods in the beginning. I even said as much in a comment on a video…and then I tried them for myself. I keep my Sprangz on my bathroom counter and I use them every time I do my kinda-sorta WNG. I’ve also tried her detangling glaze and it works really well. TKWonder and her twin Cipriana Quann are blowing up! Every time I visit Urban Bush Babes I’m reading about a new photoshoot. Love them! 22nd Century Woman seems interesting but I rarely have the time to… Read more »

lis
lis
Reply to  LBell

Ooohh thank you LBell.…I’m definitely going to order the Sprangz and glaze.

Rose
Rose

BGLH, this is irrelevant and offensive.

Kevin Bacon
Kevin Bacon

Jesus take the wheel ??

Guest
Guest

This was bad move BGLH. Not every story needs to see the light. Stuff like does what exactly for your readers!?

Not a good look at all. Sorry.

Rose
Rose
Reply to  Guest

Exactly. Not every story with a black woman needs to be seen

Jc Jc
Jc Jc

My mind is a palace and I have to safeguard its treasures. I got to around one third of this piece and decided not to read on, this lifestyle and viewpoint are just so far from my reality and ideals that it is just not worth the mind cleansing that I would need to do if I had indeed continued. This is not to say that the article is not worth reading, it may be for some.

Choco Syrup
Choco Syrup
Reply to  Jc Jc

Same. I couldn’t finish the article.

rachel
rachel

BGLH why the hell would you publish this!? How this this uplifting to our community, how is this educational to black women, or really, any woman of color? Why do we need to read about the strange and depraved sex lives of two private individuals? This isn’t newsworthy, or interesting, it doesn’t add to anyone’s life, it doesn’t enrich the online experience of this website in any way shape or form. This man is disgusting and weird, this woman is quite frankly, eccentric and odd, and while they are probably perfectly fine individuals, their slave-play sex life is horrendous and atrocious,… Read more »

Mandii
Mandii

lol I don’t think this is the right audience for this type of article.

keepit100
keepit100
Reply to  Mandii

agree, BGLH readers want to read about 4C hair…retain length.…ACV rinses…coconut oil.…that is it

India Holland
India Holland
Reply to  keepit100

yall dont speak for all of us. I like that you all are venturing out. How many conversations can you really have about coconut oil? I’m 4c’d OUT! lol

Lady Bird
Lady Bird

I disagree with all of the commenters here. The Black woman is NOT monolithic. This article explores a woman’s sexuality, identity, and the intersectionality of the two. She’s brave and she’s honest. Why is this offensive? How does this tear down the image of the Black woman?

It doesn’t. It expands it. You all desperately need to expand your horizons. It’s a different reality than yours, but it doesn’t make it insulting or distasteful. Go back to reading your mainstream mag then.
Thank you BGLH for this most interesting and titillating interview.

Dee
Dee
Reply to  Lady Bird

Exactly!!! All black women are not the same! Im so tired of people trying to label black women as X,Y, or Z. Although I can’t relate to her perspective doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate her story.

Camille
Camille
Reply to  Lady Bird

Me too. I actually like the randomness of the articles. It’s a newspaper for women with natural hair- whatever that story may be lol. She’s comfortable with herself and that’s what she likes.

Madge
Madge

Thank you for Going There and publishing this story. It’s good to face…challenging material. This was quite a read. Very…layered. Wow.

LBell
LBell

I wish I could say this was the first time I’d heard of this particular flavor of BDSM…I first read about it several years ago. I like to think that as I’ve gotten older I’m harder to shock, but I remember thinking at the time, “Now I’ve seen everything.” Turned out that wasn’t true but I’ll spare y’all, lol… Ultimately I’m always going to be on Team Consenting Adults but I’ve got to be 100 here: I find it very difficult to imagine any conscious self-loving black person, male or female, putting themselves in this kind of relationship. I mean,… Read more »

kaydenpat
kaydenpat

Not cute at all. She needs to get away from him and stop demeaning herself.

Yurilyte
Yurilyte

I’m usually for the freedom to post as you please, it is your site, but I do question the rationale behind this one? Please explain, seems a lot of readers are curious…

rainbow
rainbow

I guess she broke up with the other guy.

Atjs
Atjs

The content of this article is a unique one. Every editor in chief must diligently build her brand and protect it for the sake of the target audience. Every editor in chief will tell you that not every article their writers write gets published. It is scrutinized, always with with the brand and audience in mind. I’m not against this piece, but im not for it either. I’m more concerned with whether the editor truly understands her audience and the demographic she appeals to. This article is so out of place.

Hyp
Hyp

Thanks for sharing, I actually don’t find this post to be offensive. This site expanded beyond natural hair content a while ago, so i am not so sure why some readers feel taken aback. I think it’s important for black women to be able to discuss all areas of ourselves, which includes sexuality. From my reading of the NYT’s article, I did not get the sense that this “race play” for either of them. Not once did the reporter use the word “slave,” so I am going to concede this headline was click bait. Although I do think the master/slave… Read more »

yoda
yoda

There’s nothing wrong with BDSM and role play. But race play is just not cute. As a black woman who dates interracially, I can say that if I were ever in this kind of relationship, I wouldn’t be called a slave and have no damn master. I think that this story is being blown out of proportion because if his wife were not black, it wouldn’t be noteworthy.

Tess
Reply to  yoda

That’s because you can’t separate your people’s history from your present life. I get what you mean, but in saying such, you are giving more power to slavery without realizing it.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter

I’m glad that you all published this article and I hope you continue to push the envelope. Please don’t allow the complainers to silence you.

Absolutely not
Absolutely not

Umm it’s called ‘race play’ in which this woman plays a slave not just a submissive. There is NO way to detach that from “history” and it’s perverse.

Bkmews
Bkmews
Reply to  Absolutely not

All kink is perverse. That’s the point.

Tess
Reply to  Absolutely not

We are saying the exact same thing

ticha st.fleur
ticha st.fleur

i tried to read this mess but i couldnt.… no words

Cosita
Cosita

I couldn’t even make it half way through the article. TMI

ConfusedOne
ConfusedOne

Why is this couple talking about their sex life in the NYT? I’m not an expert, but what they’re doing sounds like run-of-the-mill dominant-submissive lifestyle stuff. It’s not necessarily racial but, of course, history affects how others will judge them. I don’t know how many of y’all watch TWD but my first thought reading this was this is backlash against Rick and Michonne’s healthy relationship presentation. I’m probably being paranoid since this article was likely already written when TWD aired.

Candy
Candy

I’m not a regular BGLH reader. I appreciated a different type of article. Different strokes for different folks…