Mara Brock Akil Recalls Being Swung On as a Teen by Girls Jealous of Her Curls

Avatar • Mar 10, 2016

mara brock akil hair tales

Goddess of black woman television Mara Brock Akil was recently featured in Michaela Angela Davis’ online series Hair Tales. The creator of hit shows Girlfriends , The Game and Being Mary Jane, reflected on her hair journey and what her hair means to her. In the two-minute video, Akil recalls being “swung on” by teen girls who envied her curls.

I loved going to the skating rink. I remember being in the bathroom and attacked by these girls who were like ‘There she go! Thinking she cute with her hair.’ ..It was a clear indicator that I was mixed. I think it was like ‘Oh, she thinks she’s better than.’

marabrockakilhairtales

But the incident only made Akil more determined to embrace her hair.

marabrockakil standout

Watch the full video below!

Share your thoughts! Have you had a similar experience?

and?
and?

I believe her..

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon
Reply to  and?

So do I. I remember light & curly girls getting that treatment as well as us type 4s with long hair. SAD

Kevin Bacon
Kevin Bacon

Beautiful woman + curls. Sucks she had to go through that dealing with hateful trolls

Shandaleia Shephard
Shandaleia Shephard

To say that the girls were jealous is a strong statement. Mara did not imply that the girls were jealous… I don’t think they necessarily were. I believe that it is equally as likely that the girls unfairly synonymed a looser hair texture with an inflated sense of self worth. They may have expected Mara to act and believe that she was better than them and once they got to know her could have embraced her and her natural curls. But to immediately assume jealously is as much a fallacy as the girls thinking that Mara was pompous just because… Read more »

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon

I believe that it IS jealousy. I’m your basic brown girl with 4a/b/ & a little 3c hair that grew thick & long down my back because mom took good care of it. Being a kinky haired girl with long hair could get you in real trouble,too. Some girls got mad at me in school because it’s like a betrayal of what they think you’re supposed to have; it’s like “How dare you have long hair! You’re not high yallah & your hair is kinky !!” If you’re not snooty about your hair,that makes them mad, too, because if THEY… Read more »

J.Nicole
J.Nicole

That’s unfortunate- kids/teens do very stupid & hateful things. Some grow into hateful adults…we see them in the comment section all of the time. But, I also feel bad for young girls who want to hurt someone because of their looks. You just know they were probably teased at one point or even made to feel less attractive because they didn’t have that same look. That’s why I check people- family members, young and old who make ridiculous remarks about someones complexion, hair type etc. We really have to be in each others corner.

A.P. Millz-CT
A.P. Millz-CT

Yup 🙁 I’m sure this happened. I remember in 5th grade when my parents moved us to Columbus, GA back in ’91 a girl tried to cut my pony tail off.. I was traumatized for a while after that.. We need to do better. Teach our children more self love.

V.M
V.M

It’s a shame that 4C girls didn’t like their hair back then. And still don’t now. To the point where they beat up someone with a looser texture.

exotikink
exotikink
Reply to  V.M

This comment made me laugh. Not because it was funny, but the memories it called up. I am 4ZYX/WWJD with this lovely hair type. Never felt any shame about it. I love it like it’s my 2nd child. What’s funny is when I tell people I have that “real Africa” on my head, they fall over themselves trying to convince me that I don’t have “real napps.” “Nappy hair can’t do what your hair does,” “can’t grow that long,” “isn’t that soft,” “doesn’t look like ‘that kind’ of hair,” “is that ALL your hair,” all kinds of things. I get… Read more »

KnottyNatural

Let’s not pretend that black women, hell women in general, don’t give one another a hard time. I saw it growing up happening to other women, and I have my own experiences of the happening to me. I realize that this is rooted in low self-esteem however a lot of grown women do not seem to have grown out of it.

Mia
Mia

I had long hair growing up and would wear it straight prior to being a full time natural as I am now. My grandmother (out of fear) would demand that I wear my hair up in a bun every day so the girls at school wouldn’t get jealous and cut it off.

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess

This is a shame. I see it all the time. “Ooh, I wish I had your hair.” “You got that good hair.” “You probably mixed, that’s why it’s curly.” That’s what gives some of these bi-racial girls big egos

OXxo
OXxo
Reply to  CocoaGoddess

Boys do it was well as teenagers. Once they get older they try and take their sh*t out on women. One of my nephews’ who isn’t light has 3b/3c hair like his mum. One of his classmates as a teenager took to sniping about this hair because he couldn’t believe black people with no known mixed heritage could have that hair type. It got to the point that the school had to take action and he only stopped after my nephew went into hospital with a sickle cell crisis. My nephew grew up being proud of being black and the hair… Read more »