MAC Cosmetics’ New Future Forward Collection is Inspired By Four Black Women in Music

Avatar • Mar 9, 2016

The popular makeup brand, MAC Cosmetics announced they will be debuting their Future Forward collection on March 17, and it will be inspired a diverse group of black women in music — R&B singer Tinashe, electropo singer Halsey, rapper Dej Loaf and neo soul singer Lion Babe. The collection is described as “the first of an ongoing series of collaborations and campaigns that spotlight newer talent who are making waves within the music industry.”

The products will drop on the following dates;

March 17- Tinashe eye shadow palette
March 31- Halsey gunmetal matte lipstick
April 14- Dej Loaf rosy-nude lipglass
April 28- Lion Babe metallic gold Liquidlast Liner

MAC-Cosmetics-Future-Forward-Collection-Tinashe

MAC-Cosmetics-Future-Forward-Collection-Tinashe (1)

MAC-Cosmetics-Future-Forward-Collection

05-MAC-2016-billboard-620

MAC-Cosmetics-Future-Forward-Collection-Dej-Loaf

MAC-Cosmetics-Future-Forward-Collection-Dej-Loaf (1)

MAC-Cosmetics-Future-Forward-Collection-Lion-Babe

MAC-Cosmetics-Future-Forward-Collection-Lion-Babe (1)

Ladies what are your thoughts?

Jaydee
Jaydee

Halsey is black? Interesting…

Catherine L. Hooper
Reply to  Jaydee

Yes, Her father is Black.

Brianna Nicolas

and her mother is white.

Dr.Rue
Dr.Rue
Reply to  Jaydee

Lol she’s half Black.

cryssi
cryssi
Reply to  Jaydee

Through her father.

Reply to  cryssi

You cant be black through your father, you are black through your your parents. She is biracial.

cryssi
cryssi

Quick question, no shade, but have you done a DNA test to trace you roots to see what percentage of black you are?

For all we know you could be 45% Scottish.

I’m just confused by your need to “correct” me.

Is Zoe Kravitz black “black”? I mean both of her parents are half jewish.

Reply to  cryssi

Yes Ive done several DNA tests. And I am black. But Nice try.

Have you people deluded yourselves into thinking youre of Biracial.

Of course Zoe kravitz is not black, her parents arent black.

cryssi
cryssi

Lol, I’m done.

All of these people are black. African DNA is just too strong to be white washed.

People get mad when mixed blacks say that they’re not just black, and now people get up in arms when they claim their heritage. Ridiculous.

Paige
Paige

Halsey ain’t black. she’s whiter than white.

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess
Reply to  Paige

She’s mixed

cryssi
cryssi
Reply to  Paige

Well she has stated before that she is of African American heritage through her father, but due to her complexion she is often mistaken for being non-black.

uhoh-ohno
uhoh-ohno
Reply to  Paige

For the sake of this article, you’re just supposed to play along. Though Halsey is by all accounts, white passing … technically, Halsey is bi-racial and she acknowledges her black father.

annabanana2013
annabanana2013
Reply to  Paige

She a Black father and white mother

Reply to  annabanana2013

exactly! She is biracial not black.

Denise
Denise
Reply to  Paige

Her father actually is black. She acknowledges that she’s white-passing but identifies as a POC.

kalexa1
kalexa1
Reply to  Denise

…and Bruce Jenner identifies as a woman, Rachel Dolezal as black (much to the grief of her poor white parents that raised her).

Marcia
Marcia

Beautiful! Esp the Dej Loaf nude lip color

Elle P.
Elle P.

This is really cool! I’m glad this will be an ongoing thing! It would be cool to see a collaboration with SZA (http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/tips/g8613/sza-easy-eye-lip-look/?slide=7), Shingai Shoniwa of the Noisettes (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/arts/music/27goldman.html?_r=0)

Nicole
Nicole

Halsey’s dad is black, just because she is fairer skinned which she didn’t choose doesn’t make her any less black

Reply to  Nicole

Yeah her mother is white so that means she is not black. She is biracial. Black babies do not come out of white women.

Jernella Chedick
Jernella Chedick

So , if you’re mixed, you’re not black? So I guess, I am not black :l cause I’m mixed. My mother is mixed, my father is mixed. what you are trying to say is if the mother is white or any other race, the child is not black? To understand more: I am from the Caribbean.

Maryslittlelamb
Maryslittlelamb

I think what Brianna is trying to say: If a white woman has a baby with a black man, her child will not be black nor white but both. That’s like saying a black woman who births a white man’s baby pops out a white child. Not possible. The child is mixed. Two white parents= a white baby. Two black parents= a black baby. 1 white and 1 black parent = a mixed baby. 1 Asian and 1 black parent = mixed baby 1 Arab and 1 black parent = mixed baby. ONLY a BLACK MAN and a BLACK woman can produce a BLACK child.… Read more »

Athena
Athena

Halsey is indeed black: black dad, white mom. And she’s very vocal about black issues and what it means being a white-passing black girl. Google it and stop with the ignorance!

Reply to  Athena

You literally just said her mother is white, and you called her black. Holey contradiction batman.

Yoan
Yoan

Halsey’s mother is white and her father is African American.

dedesantos
dedesantos

Lol this should have titled 4 women of African descent (or woc) b/c of including Halsey. I have no clue why black Americans cling so badly to the one drop rule which was put in place by racist evil white Americans. Halsey is part black but not black. She could walk in a store and not get followed, she can find makeup her shade anywhere she probably doesn’t get pulled over like Sandra bland. I’m not bashing her or people like her at all lol so don’t come for me but she’s mixed race. Maybe because I’m Panamanian I see… Read more »

Cosita
Cosita

Great another biracial vs black debate and a story about jealous black girls beating up mixed girl over her hair. Smh Speaking of hair. Remember when when Black Girl Long HAIR has putting out articles to give tips and guidance on natural hair care. You know way back in the good ole days. Now barely any new posts are hair care content. I like other discussions being includedbut I thought that was the main point of the site. I think this has gone a new direction. Maybe need new name.

Reply to  Cosita

Yep this is basically mediatakeout now lol

Chel
Chel
Reply to  Cosita

Thats why I haven’t come to this site in months, cus they never post “hair stuff” anymore. shame.

BlackGirlShortHair
BlackGirlShortHair
Reply to  Cosita

I tot it was just me… whatever happened to “10 ways to style your 4c hair this spring break”

Brianna Nicolas

That awkward moment when only one of them is a black woman.….

Cosita
Cosita

Well I guess black women who are really into makeup can get something useful from this article. Of all of them my complexion is most like Lion Babe and both my parents are black.

kalexa1
kalexa1

lol.

Jernella Chedick
Jernella Chedick

They are all black, considering they have black in them but hardly any concentration of melanin. In my opinion, this is MAC trying to get their black customers back after the big scene, with the girl’s beautiful lips. MAC is very shallow.

Guest