Gabifresh Responds to Critic Who Called Her “Hypocritical” For Covering Ebony Mag While Identifying as Bi-Racial

Avatar • Mar 7, 2016

On Friday, Ebony Magazine revealed their groundbreaking March 2016 cover, featuring four full-figured black women; designer and style blogger Gabi Gregg, known professionally as Gabifresh, Orange is the New Black actress Danielle Brooks and R&B singers Jazmine Sullivan and Chrisette Michele.

Ebony-Magazine

The cover drew praise for celebrating full-figured women, but some felt that Gregg’s presence was problematic because she identifies as both black and bi-racial.

Source

Gregg faced the criticism head on, publishing the following statement to her Twitter account;

I haven’t been able to get a copy of Ebony yet, I’m really excited to read it! BUT I had someone on snapchat yesterday say they read it and were disappointed to see that I don’t identify as black and that I sounded hypocritical like Stacey Dash 🙁 This actually broke my heart and made me sick to my stomach. I LOVE MY BLACKNESS–LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And could NOT be prouder of it. I’m not exactly sure what I said or how it was written, but I do know that in general I’ve tried to make clear that while I ID as black, it’s important to acknowledge being mixed and talking about the privilege I get from having a white mother, as well as light skin/a certain texture hair etc. I am still learning, but I feel that talking about being mixed allows for a more nuanced conversation about white privilege and colorism. The last thing I want is to sound like Stacey Dash or Tiger Woods, like I am rejecting my blackness and doing the “I’M MIXED NOT BLACK!” thing. I sincerely apologize if it came off that way. I’m also very open to having more conversation about this and hearing what you guys think.”

Here is a screengrab of Gregg’s statement;

Cc9PzVOUEAAzsIP

Gregg’s bi-raciality is part of who she is and she has never used it to ‘cancel’ her blackness. In that context, the criticism feels out of line.

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

People need to stop. I cannot with this nonsense. I am so sick of this black biracial topic. I cannot.

why?

Nicole
Nicole

I’m biracial and I couldn’t agree more. To some people we aren’t black enough, to others they want to make us identify as one race. I love being black but I also love being Asian and white and I should be able to be proud of that without someone putting me down. Don’t get me wrong this isn’t all people who make me feel like this but there are people who do. We need to start accepting ALL people

Mango
Mango
Reply to  Nicole

Hi Nicole, your comment jumped out at me because I have a daughter with your mixture. I am full black and my husband is half German half Asian. I often wonder if black people will accuse her of not loving her blackness if she chooses to embrace all of who she is. I am a Caribbean black which adds another layer of complexity because we don’t lump mixed people in with full black people. This does not mean they are not black, it means they are black AND something else. I would welcome the opportunity to talk to you in… Read more »

Reply to  Mango

it means they are not black but a small portion of it.

Brenda Williams
Brenda Williams

Why are we so critical of one another? There seems to be a standard of what is “Black Enough”. Everyone has a mixture of something and it is okay to celebrate what we are. My skin tone or mixture does not define who I am as a woman. Let’s celebrate that and not continue the “Black Enough” rhetoric.

Brianna Nicolas

this isnt an issue of who is black enough its an issue of who is black period.

Albt Fancy
Albt Fancy

you can not say the critisim is out of line if you have not read her statment in the magazine .. She even said that she have not gotten a copy of it. so she made this statement just incase it was printed to sound that she cancelled her blackness…

alexwek
alexwek

this is getting old.…yet bi-racial or mixed profit from blackness when $$$ is concerned…

Atjs
Atjs
Reply to  alexwek

You’re the reason people such as this women have to apologize for who she is. You’re the reason my daughter will receive the same backlash from her own people. It’s people like you who writhe in exclusive personal self hatred and jealousy for such women that you use your exclusionist ideologies to regulate blackdom. Unfortunately for you, blackness comes in all forms, shapes, beauties, and sizes. Loving yourself begins when you learn to stop hating on others.

merry
merry
Reply to  Atjs

oh please. black people have every right to say who the believe is black. white people make it clear who they believe is white. asians also define who is asian. weird that black people are expected to accept anyone as black.

historically, mixed people were forced on black people, esp. the black woman. nobody has to accept them, including your daughter, as one of us because in many ways, they are not.

alewek
alewek
Reply to  Atjs

wait, I am the reason…people like me…I have self hatred, LOL…regulate blackdom??? hug your daughter

laila
laila

i think the people who are offended are just bored. the girl is biracial. she has every right to identify as biracial. it is called ‘biracial’ for a reason, 2 races. it’s rude to force her to identify as just black thereby ignoring an entire half of her family.i hate when people demand that biracial people only claim one side of their family or ‘choose’ a side.

Skyler Jung
Skyler Jung
Reply to  laila

Exactly omg. I’m a mixed race person and will have to deal with people like that all the time, basically anyone i’ve met who is mixed with ANYTHING has the same issue, it doesn’t matter if they’re black&white, asian&white, 3 or more races, latino&asian, etc… people will act like you can only count as one thing and usually that one thing is whatever they personally perceive you as. Appearance doesn’t even always equal what your percentages are of different races.

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  Skyler Jung

You must not visit this site much because the debate here is the total opposite from your issue. A great many people who comment on this site say you are not black and would be pissed if you called yourself black. Basically they say you are not one of us. You should not portray us movies or tv, not grace the covers of our magazines, and your personal experiences are not valid in discussions on black struggles. The constant discussion is whether biracial i.e. half black people should be able to identify as black if they chose to. I know… Read more »

Reply to  Cosita

they are correct

christinanolanXD
christinanolanXD
Reply to  Cosita

oh shut up. You’re not black. You’re biracial, full stop.

Cosita
Cosita

I’m not biracial. I’m black. My parents are black. My grandparents are black. And we love being black. If anyone needs to shut up it’s you.

Yemi
Yemi

What is with people policing how others choose to identify themselves?!! I don’t see any black people coming for POTUS for identifying as black man when he is biracial — not that there’s anything wrong with that at all. I wonder if it’s some sort of insecurity people have about their Blackness that causes them to get all riled up when biracial folks claim both sides of their heritage, as is their right. Bless Gabi’s heart for responding so sweetly to the criticism but if I was her, I would not have even bothered to dignify that foolishness with a response,… Read more »

TokenMixedGirl
TokenMixedGirl
Reply to  Yemi

Actually, many people did come for Obama early on, before he got the Democratic nomination, and then the Presidency, to the point where there was actual discussion of “Is he ‘Black’ Enough?”. Then the same people swept it under the rug as if it didn’t happen, and jumped the “My President is Black!” bandwagon.

Reply to  Yemi

She is not black, she is biracial and so is obama.

Shaniqua Leach

What would you consider Sasha and Malia to be?

MyTake305
MyTake305

Bravo. I love how she responded. Some people are ridiculous. She has every right to claim what she is. She never said she wasn’t black.

Reply to  MyTake305

Even if she did she not.

Kitkat
Kitkat

This is exactly how I identify. It’s nice to see other people see themselves this way too.

Chevanne

I’m sticking with brown. Sometimes I don’t even know what makes me or anyone else black. I have a pale daughter, is she black enough? She should also do as Gabi and acknowledge where she comes from. He father is a central part of her life. Outcry of who’s black enough screams One Drop Rule to me. We can discuss colorism and it’s effects but don’t need to internalize that racism. Respect her enough to let her self-identify. Remember that we’re not “black” because we ever wanted to be; it was a designation given to us. We’ve had many names… Read more »

Reply to  Chevanne

your parents

Return the Stone
Return the Stone

Wasn’t the rock on ebony magazine and Halle berry now it’s a problem?

Camilla Hudson
Camilla Hudson

First and foremost, I think it’s important to distinguish between someone who identifies as biracial AND Black vs someone who identifies as biracial INSTEAD OF Black (seemingly from a desire to distance themselves from a Black identity). Simultaneously, it is inappropriate to tell other people how they should identify and/or to judge them based upon how they identify. Gabi is clearly a woman of color and, more specifically, a woman with roots in the Black community. Even if she identified as biracial instead of Black, she’s not out of place on the cover of Ebony magazine. I have no idea… Read more »

Dr.Rue
Dr.Rue
Reply to  Camilla Hudson

I so agree with you. I also identify as Black, even though I’m biracial.

Skyler Jung
Skyler Jung
Reply to  Camilla Hudson

This kind of issue seems to come up for a basically anyone who is mixed race, personally i’m mixed with like 4 different races and within those a lot of different ethnic groups, basically i’m a total mutt.. and i’ll have people who will complain constantly about what they think I am and what they think I should identify myself as. If you’re mixed you’re not just one thing, people shouldn’t treat you like you have to choose one.

Reply to  Camilla Hudson

You cant identify as black, Its either you are or youre not.

merry
merry

it’s too bad black people don’t have the courage or consciousness to draw a line in the sand when it comes to blackness. this woman is not black. and nobody has to accept her as such. she is black when it’s convenient for her. i’m sure she’ll go back to saying she’s biracial when that’s convenient for her too.

alexwek
alexwek
Reply to  merry

could not agree more

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess
Reply to  merry

When you’re black, you got two black parents, or even one mixed and one black. I can’t stand when people want to act as if the other side doesn’t exist. At least gabi isn’t doing so

Lolalao
Lolalao

Bi-ethnic. Idk, I think it sounds better. I look at ppl as all one race- Human.

Reply to  Lolalao

And this is why science literacy is so important. It changes your perspective on so many things.

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

This topic is tired. Biracial is NOT black. Therefore if a biracial person doesn’t claim themselves as such there should be no issue. People just need to stop with this foolishness.

Cosita
Cosita

Again??? Is it me or do “the are biracial people allowed to ID as black” and colorism stories seem to over dominate content? Don’t we have other things to discuss? Plus why are the other beautiful black women in the photo and their accomplishments not discussed? Or did I miss another article perhaps. Not just talking this article but I swear a handful of people complain on Twitter and it’s a “controversy”. Always wanting to stir the pot is getting old. I’m not saying there are never legitimate complaints but there a lot of people who love to hate and… Read more »

Reply to  Cosita

its not about complexion, its about race.

Cosita
Cosita

This particular article is race. However my opinion is overall that it’s both based on many articles and comments. I’m just being honest when I say I feel lighter skin people are repeatedly vilified on this site. I don’t know that is the intention but at times it comes across to me that way.

Shaniqua Leach

Just out of curiosity, how do you define “race?”

Shaniqua Leach

Race is a cultural thing, not biological. I fully identify as black, but I don’t delude myself into thinking my body is made up of special “black” genes. DNA tests have proven that just because a person’s phenotype (physical appearance) is one way, it is in no way a solid indicator of their genotype (genetic makeup). Someone can have a “black” parent and a “white” parent and have a higher percentage of African ancestry in their DNA than someone with two “black” parents. Race is mostly about the culture you grow up in and how you identify. So, to everyone… Read more »

Rachel Takyi-Mensah
Rachel Takyi-Mensah
Reply to  Shaniqua Leach

Everything I have been thinking.

Shaniqua Leach

This is why I feel scientific literacy is the most important thing for the next generation moving forward. If your views and opinions are based purely on emotion while ignoring or having no understanding of the actual facts, any policies you affect will reflect it. And I personally don’t want to live in a society like that. It’s like the people who deny climate change and site a god as their reason.

Reply to  Shaniqua Leach

That doesnt make any sense. You cannot have a black and white parent and have a higher percent of blackness as an actual black person. If youre biracial youre not black.

Shaniqua Leach

Actually it does. Because African DNA is not only found in those who identify as Black. The combination of percentages can lead to a “mixed” person having a higher concentration of African ancestry than another person who identifies as black. Again, race is not biological. I would recommend doing some research into genetics.

TokenMixedGirl
TokenMixedGirl

I think that many of those critics seriously need to realize and recognize the concept “lack of inclusion does not mean exclusion”. I’ve had people balk at me because of my personal choice of identifying as “Biracial” as if I’ve done some kind of damage to the universe that’s beyond repair. My identification isn’t a way to separate myself from the pack, but an acknowledgement that I happen to come from both sides. And I’m well aware that for the general US populace specifically, I’ll be put down as black, and I have no issue with that. But at the… Read more »

Brianna Nicolas

Well.…..she is biracial so.……

sad

Getoverit
Getoverit

Imagine having this discussion during the slavery days. Black people are so diverse that you cannot look at someone and say they are not black because they don’t look black. And a word to the Americans who claim to be black and tell others they aren’t black; remember this, you are not either. You’re mixed with black and something else, doesn’t matter. Not even if you come from African you’re 100% black. Black people in America are having an identity crisis. Let me explain, if you got afro-kinky hair, you black. Black people are the only race of people on this planet… Read more »

Barasha
Barasha
Reply to  Getoverit

Actually Polynesians and some Native tribes have afro kinky hair. I gotta work Hella hard to keep my hair from frizzing out and sticking up every which a way. I sat between my mom’s legs every night on the floor being combed and braided to death as a child, and her oiling my scalp so my hair wouldn’t be bigger than I was. Hair may not be a deciding factor in heritage. I am half white and half Cherokee.

Betty Poo
Betty Poo

How shameful for jack-tard who felt the need to put this young woman in a position to have to defend her right to acknowledge her mixed heritage. Some of the most prolific black figures in history and modern times are bi-racial. President Obama for one. It’s unfortunate Gabi even felt compelled to respond to someone else’s inferiority complex issues.

Ivie9ja
Ivie9ja

So she should deny her mother’s roots? OK people just get more idiotic and self righteous by the day. I cant…

Indigo
Indigo

Being a biracial female myself I don’t understand why I can’t identify myself as black. I was brought up by my African American mother. I’ve lived in African American culture most my life and at the end of the day no matter if I’m biracial or not, non African American races see me and automatically think she’s black. I feel it’s extremely illogical to think that because a person is biracial that means that can’t call themselves African American. I don’t care if I’m mixed or not; I bet if the slavery times were still in affect I would be… Read more »

Erin Scott
Erin Scott
Reply to  Indigo

Curious, why can’t you just identify as bi- racial or bi- ethnic? You can still be culturally black And be bi-ethnic. Black people aren’t shunning bi-ethnic people but you have to understand as black people we do no face the same issues as bi-ethnic people and neither do bi-ethnic people face all the same problems that black people do. Not to mention in America bi-ethnic people have always be favored instead of black people. With that being said you indentifying as just black when you aren’t isn’t helpping the black community it actually hurts it by erasing us. We are… Read more »

christinanolanXD
christinanolanXD

I wish all of you could take a slice out of the UK, or at least come live here. The only time I began calling biracial people “black” was when I went to the USA and called a mixed girl “mixed”. She got so uneasy and was like “no I’m black.” You guys have succumbed under the one-drop rule that creates damaging effects in your OWN community. In the UK, a mixed girl is a MIXED girl. Nothing else. She is black and she is white. Should she abandon her mother’s white side???!!! Biracial people are not the same as black… Read more »

maralondon
maralondon

What’s wrong with her acknowledging the fact that her mother is white? the negative reactions are just ridiculous. We need to stop perpetuating the legacy of mixed people automatically having privileges over the rest of us. My niece whose mother is white identifies as black and being born a Spanish national the Spanish are quick to remind her that she is indeed black. It’s only when she came to stay with me in England that Black people were making all kinds of assumptions about her based on her racial mix. Thank god she had the thick skin to not let… Read more »

liberianwoman
liberianwoman

Just because I don’t think it’s cool doesn’t mean shyt. Every person should identify as whomever they please. Live and let live. If a guy/girl wants to wear makeup he/she should, if a guy/girl wants to be identify as purple he/she should, if mom/dad want to weave their baby’s hair they should. I said all that to say we should mind our business and let people be. Amen!

HeavnsGirl
HeavnsGirl

Oh, god…

fiona
fiona

That is sooo unbelievably petty of people. If she is of mixed heritage why should she say she is black? People need to stop having a complex about every little thing. Even Tiger Woods was not wrong. Who are you to tell someone who to identify with, what is it to you? That is just another form of hatred, racism and inferiority complex. I don’t care what someone is, we are all just people. Being black is not some special clique you need to stay loyal too. It is just race like any other, and if we say we reject… Read more »