[Pics] Model Leomie Anderson Was Given a Shockingly Bad Weave and Mismatched Foundation at NYFW

Avatar • Feb 22, 2016

What part of the game is this??

Model Leomie Anderson tweeted this picture of a weave she was given for a New York Fashion Week show and, wow, it is pretty bad. She included the caption;

Lord. Jesus. Thank you. This show is the sole reason I was given weave I don’t even like. Look at this hair.

CbbHnk7WIAMKBhu

She followed up with this picture and the caption;

It gets worse :/???

CbbJZ9AXEAAnBYl

As though this wasn’t terrible enough, Anderson also tweeted a photo of the foundations the show’s makeup artist planned to use on her.

@DPatronne here are her foundations yet she confidentially [sic] put her hand up to take me in her chair

CbbZDBzWAAAYLAp

Anderson used the images to start a dialogue on the fashion industry’s ignorance when it comes to makeup and hair for black models.

leomie1

leomie2

leomie3

leomie4

Although black models are increasingly represented in the fashion industry, styling remains a big issue. Some models opt to go bald to avoid stylists who don’t have a clue about black hair. Others become accustomed to doing their own hair and makeup or installing their own weaves before shows.

Black women have made outsized contributions to both fashion and beauty, continually setting trends that are adapted by women of other cultures. Given this, it is particularly troubling that the fashion industry does not, by and large, bother to educate itself on black hair and skin.

For the record, this is a picture of Leomie (styled properly). She is an absolute doll.

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

She went the f**k off for 40 days and 40 nights LOL Drag ha!!

Guest
Guest

I love her!!! She gives no f*cks. But yeah, once again, build our own.

Janet Holmes
Janet Holmes

never let a non black person put their hands in your hair…never

Reply to  Janet Holmes

Some of my best hair cuts came from white stylists. They could cut layers better than any black sylist I have ever been to. Now the time I was broke and went to the school to get a retouch they gave me a white girl and that was a disaster. She was working too slow so another white girl stepped in to help.When I started burning they poured Coke in my hair saying that would ease the burning. Lord Lord.

kalexa1
kalexa1
Reply to  Cosita

Wait…What???! …

Hair cut yes (and then I bet only on straightened black hair…so it ‘makes sense’ to white stylists!)
Hair otherwise — No, no, no!

Reply to  kalexa1

Yes my hair was relaxed at the time. Now I don’t go to salons period. I have heard of white Deva stylists doing great cuts on black naturals.

onyemma
onyemma
Reply to  kalexa1

Exactly. I got, got by a white stylist who raved about her excellent results with styling and coloring natural hair. Lies! After my highlights ended up with primary colors (like literally from naturally black hair to yellow and red streaks), she finally admitted that she didn’t have the exposure to my type of hair that she had initially claimed to have. As they were attempting to correct the color, one guy told me (snarkily– because I suppose i should be okay with having clown hair) that perhaps this wasn’t the right salon for my needs. Within a few months my… Read more »

Reply to  onyemma

Well to be honest these black stylist will f up hair color too. I went to hang out with my white friend at JCPenney while she was getting her hair colored and cut. She had appointment with same white lady who used to do my cuts and other friends cuts. she has skills. For some reason that stylist wasn’t there and black lady did it. So now my friend now has very blonde ends, reddish stawberry blonde middle and a touch of dark roots. Being a friend I told her it look like crap. Clownish. She already knew. If she… Read more »

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Cosita

Coke in YOUR hair, OMG! Did it work? I only had one white stylist do a good job on my relaxed hair years ago. On my natural hair, black or white, did an awful job! The models deserve some who KNOWS what they are DOING black or white!

Reply to  TWA4now

Hell no it didn’t work. Burned like a mutha! Lol . I never went back. I did have an Indian lady give me a rollerset once and it was lovely. .

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Cosita

SMH! Coke! That’s just wrong! Glad you didn’t go.back. I remember getting a relaxer and she overprocessed my hair! My head felt like it was on fire…like a thousand needle in my scalp! My hair was dull and limp and I developed a few scabs too! I’m glad I’m natural now…good or bad, I do.my own hair now!

Reply to  TWA4now

Me too. Been there with the scabs even when I went to salons and did everything I was supposed to beforehand. I know now that I’m better educated that my hair is low porosity and resistant to chemicals like relaxers and dyes. Stylists would want to let it sit longer to take. I will never relax my hair again. I hate the process. Just smelling it in the beauty supply store makes me feel sick. Even on the worst of my bad hair days I have never been tempted.

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Cosita

You should write an article on your hair mishap.

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Janet Holmes

Don’t let the smooth taste fool you! It’s black or white, many do not know how to style black natural hair. Sometimes, the models don’t have a choice if the only black hair stylist or make-up artist is BUSY with another model. Hire people that know what they are doing with ALL skin tones and hair types. Can you say rare? *deep sigh*

Jamie Ambrose
Reply to  Janet Holmes

I had my big chop done by a dominican, my hair was on point. The shape and style was exactly how I wanted it and she did it w/o straightening my hair. Almost every time I get my hair done by a black person, its a problem. They think my hair is too nappy, they want to straighten to style, try to convince me to relax, cut off too much, etc etc. I have had some good ones but I actually prefer spanish people in my hair. I dont trust white people in my hair but I did have it… Read more »

Shanta @ BuryMeInRedLipstick

I swear this has been a complaint for DECADES the only difference is there are more brands out there with larger shade ranges. I want to know why this is still a thing when there’s Nars, Make Up For Ever, Black Up, Cover F/X, Becca the list goes on. This is a mess.

britti the dub
britti the dub

This is why we need our own. If we invested in our black-owned runway designers like those shown on Harlem Row every season our models wouldn’t be dependent on non-AA designers, who hire non-AA makeup artists that don’t find it ‘beneficial’ to carry our shades, to get jobs.

It is insulting and disrespectful for a “professional makeup artist” to carry ONE shade of brown. But they are subjected to this disrespect because we do not support our own.

Annabella G

Models make money. Can’t they come out with their own skin and hair products? Tell the world they know what’s up.

Leash
Leash
Reply to  Annabella G

Why would you want to come out of pocket for a job youre doing? If white women dot have to, why should black women?

NaturallyMe
NaturallyMe
Reply to  Leash

Actually Anabelle G is right. The logic of “if white women don’t have to why should i” is exactly why no progress in this area has been made. Lots of models, black and white Other, have used modeling careers to parlay other interests. Clearly, quality, highly pigmented makeup that is representative of all ethnicities, specifically those with darker skin (black, Indian, natives, aborigines) is a true need. In the society we have built, identifying true needs and opportunity gaps are a rarity. So why can’t a black model take jet earnings and invest in a sustainable business (as Iman) that… Read more »

knkytht
Reply to  Annabella G

What are y’all reading? She’s not complaining that there *isn’t* makeup for black skin, she’s talking about the stylists and makeup artists not having it and/or knowing how to use it properly.

Reply to  knkytht

When you make money based on how you look, and you are a woman of color, then you might need to either work those details out ahead of time or be prepared to have your own makeup handy just in case. Not for any other reason other than you don’t want anyone messing up your looks and making you look bad. She couldn’t have been too shocked. I was in that industry a long time ago and it was that way. Not much has changed.

Nakia Beverly-Brown
Nakia Beverly-Brown

What was the finished result of whatever they thought they were doing with her hair?!?! ? ? ?

Jasmine Brown
Jasmine Brown

Congrats to her speaking up! It’s funny to me how some make up artists and hair stylists have to know how to work on ALL types of hair and skin but others get certified without that knowledge. The standard needs to change.

Alexthelion
Alexthelion

Freaking Mac goes all the way to my dark blue purple girls too !!if you can’t do all make up then why become a makeup artist

PonyPonyPony
PonyPonyPony

I can’t comment on the makeup but ALL the girls had their hair done like that. It was crimped, curled, teased, crazy extensions added, and pinned. They all had huge hair that looked like a hot mess until it was done — and even when it was on the runway, it still looked like a hot mess but in an awesome way. The inspiration was Gustav Klimt. Too bad to hear about the makeup though, that’s not professional.

TWA4now
TWA4now

Hire and train more make-up artists that are thoroughly diverse in applying make-up to ALL skin types, colors, and shades.

Diamenrose

Sad and somehow annoying…HOpefully this will change. This is something what i have noticed too. We have much more information when it comes to for example makeup for white women . But vice versa it is unfortunately rarely the case. I even notice this when I am with my friends. Whenever we are out somewhere where they sell makeup (especially at drugstores) they say to me: Well actually for you this trip to the drugstore is absolutely boring because for your skin tone yuo won’t find anything . This makes me soo angry (although I know sometimes they mean it not… Read more »

Kendall Williams
Kendall Williams
Reply to  Diamenrose

Please support my indiegogo campaign for a makeup line designed by a woman of color for women of color

Tanaquil
Tanaquil

Lol she went in on those “makeup artists” and I am here for every word. Her tweets were on point! How are gonna call yourself a makeup artist, yet you only know how to do White girls’ makeup? Girl, bye.

NaturallyMe
NaturallyMe

Don’t just complain about the problem. Be a part of the solution. We as black women need to mobilize ourselves and support each others endeavors and not bring each other down. Let’s be about solutions. Our dollars say far more than our mouths. Yes it’s annoying that you have to teach a black make up artist about black make up, but honestly, who is that artist’s bread and butter? There is truly a needs gap here. Why wait for the major white-owned companies to acknowledge you and capitalize on your needs? Fill the void. Raise the capital. Invest your earnings.… Read more »

Kendall Williams
Kendall Williams
Reply to  NaturallyMe

I agree. if you could please check out my indiegogo campaign for a makeup line developed by a woman of color for women of color. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-nfatuated-cosmetics-launch#/

knkytht
Reply to  NaturallyMe

What are you talking about? She’s not talking about makeup products. There exist appropriate shades of makeup for brown skin and appropriate products for black hair. She’s pointing out/complaining that fashion shows do not hire makeup and hair artists who are equipped to use and apply those products. This has nothing to do with a product line. She is a model. Her job, her focus, her aim, is to model. Her job/focus/aim isn’t to open up a makeup training institute. The solution to a problem isn’t always “put up or shut up” and if you have a complaint do it… Read more »

Cosita

I’m not a model but having dealt with makeup artists who want do that “mixing” that really looks crappy I learned to always bring my own foundation. I would rather look good than fight that battle.

knkytht

that. is. what. she. is. complaining. about. That as a MODEL, she is expected to provide her own makeup. Like… lmao never mind. There are some people of the belief that the world is the way the world is, so any level of critique or complaint is fruitless… because that’s the way the world is. Circular, no? It’s the literal opposite of progression.

But thankfully there will always be people who want, strive and aim for equanimity and respect. The rest of y’all can benefit off the advances later, I guess.

Reply to  knkytht

If my job is to look good, and I know that I am in an industry that has limited resources to accomplish this, then I am going to take steps to make sure I look good without relying on other people. I did video and print back in the 90s and I doubt anything has changed. As a woman of color, I made sure I had a stash of my own makeup handy on every job. Not doing this AND complaining about the ignorance of others makes you look like an idiot. If you are a model, then you know… Read more »

Reply to  knkytht

When you are a professional you may have to do this — especially in an industry that is dominated with Caucasians. You can’t be caught up in what’s fair and what’s not. She showed up for a job and the makeup artist didn’t have her colors. So, instead of coming prepared (doubt this is the first time this happened) she whined about it. That does not get the respect she needs to make a change and made her appear childish. She needs to create her own makeup line and sell it to the unprepared makeup artists for a profit. That… Read more »

knkytht

lmao girl, okay. You’re reiterating the same… lmao okay. Because the makeup lines THAT ALREADY EXIST can be sold to the “unprepared” artists already… and they aren’t buying it… so… her (magically funded and developed, redundant) makeup line will magically get bought because… Amazingly successful Iman, who actually started a makup line for darker tones… did so like twenty years ago… yet… it’s still not “a little better for the next generation” so… oh. hmm. Okay. THE POINT IS a black model should not have to come to work with her own makeup simply because she is a black model. You seem to… Read more »

Reply to  knkytht

Ok because tweeting about it effects change. It’s very one-dimensional thinking, but ok. LMAO!!!

examplesample
examplesample

you are so slow, wow

Reply to  examplesample

You are responding to my comments from TWO months ago tryna call me slow! LMAO! Ok, well,uh, whatever you say.

Melilew
Melilew

I can’t comment on the hair, because both pics look like what I’ve seen on the runway before. And designers are usually the ones (in conjunction with stylists) to develop the look and feel. We all know that the runway isn’t always about a slayed glamour. The make-up, however, is another story. It is unfortunate and frustrating, especially when as an artist, you should be readily available for anything at a show of this magnitude.

Aisha
Aisha

This is so bad it’s hilarious. Lol @ “shockingly bad weave,” fingers develop a stutter” and “shit kit.” LMAO!

failingupward

its beyond ridiculous that model’s still have to go through that, especially since the makeup she’s showing is maybelline which carries her shades (because i’m that shade) in fact, the only reason i use maybelline (and cover girl) over other drug store brands is because they manage to have models of color in their ads.