[Pics] Genius or Too Much? Folks Are Tattooing in Their Lost Edges

Avatar • Feb 5, 2016

Edges are important in haircare. They’ve now come to stand as a sign that you have your ish together and haven’t let your haircare regime fall by the wayside. The loss of edges can occur from ailments like alopecia areata or mechanical damage from improperly wearing a protective style like ponytails, braids, weaves and in Countess Vaughn’s case, lace-front wigs.

But what do you do when you want your edges and you’ve tried the castor oil and massage technique but need them in a hurry? Tattoo them on… at your own risk of course.

One Los Angeles tattoo artist has carved a niche for himself in the world of tattoo artistry.

The tattoo artist known as Dowork West of Flaming Tattoo tattooed the edges on his client above to fill in the gaps.

What do you think? If you’re missing edges, would you try this?

Milos Mom
Milos Mom

I would rather just sport a mohawk all my life that go through the pain and have something that looks like a giant birthmark rather than hair. Sorry but that is a true fail.

Reece Wynter
Reece Wynter

If the hairline looked realistic.. which it does NOT it could be a brilliant way to enhance the hairline. However I think theses particular results look terrible. The technique needs development!

Lucie

Personally, I would spend the money on hair plugs like Destiny Godley as opposed to tattoos. But if the situation is irreversible and this has been confirmed by a doctor, people should do what they need to feel better.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

I
Am
Dead

Lolalao
Lolalao

When women see that hair pieces are damaging their hairline, why don’t they stop? Just stop!

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  Lolalao

That is the million dollar question. It’s not like most people don’t know about traction alopecia so I don’t get why it’s still such a huge problem. When I was wearing wigs often I noticed the start of a problem at my temples and I stopped wearing them as much to give my hairline a break.. But if we know better then why can’t we do better.

Lolalao
Lolalao
Reply to  Cosita

It’s because ppl continue to shame blk women because of our hair. I refuse to let another person make me feel bad about my person.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Lolalao

You would think that with alllll the information that’s out here today folks would figure this out. However, the power of nappy hair hate and baby hair love is still very strong.… What kills me is that permanent traction alopecia takes TIME to create…it’s not like heat damage where a single too-hot flat iron can take away your hair texture. Years ago I lost my edges, grew them back, and then lost them AGAIN doing too much. I learned my lesson the second time: I’d rather have nappy edges than no edges. Since then, there’s only been one time I… Read more »

Lolalao
Lolalao
Reply to  LBell

I hate that baby hair thing. I will not smooth down my edges to save my life! Lol I don’t like the real meaning behind it. I had a problem with my crown area always being dry and not growing. I started the water only hair wash method and stopped with the commercial products..my crowns growing! 🙂

Ken-Terika Zellner
Ken-Terika Zellner
Reply to  Lolalao

My edges are like this because of what was done to my hair when I was a child. By the time I was able to make decisions about my hair, my edges were already gone. :/

Aisha
Aisha

I think this is what Jermaine Jackson has.

Deandra Scott
Deandra Scott

Genius or Too Much?” Nope. It’s too little. A literal cosmetic solution for a bigger problem.

Alex
Alex

I’m sorry but it looks like a big blotch of black ink on your edges. I’m certain it will never grow hair there ever again as she’s know injection tattoo ink into the hair follicle. I guess that’s the point. But really it just doesn’t look natural at all. *shrug*

Kevin Bacon
Kevin Bacon

Damn what part of the game is this?? ??

Rose
Rose

That probably hurt so bad. Why do we go through so much b.s. before deciding on going natural?

dwntomars
dwntomars

but it don’t look like edges tho 🙁

LBell
LBell

Welp…if you’ve tried everything else and you’ve seen a medical doctor who has told you that your traction alopecia is permanent…why the hell not get your edges tattooed? It’s a better solution than others but I imagine over time it would need touching up (pun unintended) since ink tends to fade.

I have a tattoo on my shoulder blade. That sucker HURT. I can’t imagine how much it hurts to tattoo the side of your head…

Zenith
Zenith

This looks a bit desperate and ridiculous.

Kegz

LMAO he can’t tattoo though