Black Woman Speaks Out After Being Racially Taunted By Black Internet Commenters

Avatar • Feb 24, 2016

This is Danielle ‘Jazz’ Noel, a pre-med Columbia student and photographer whose work focuses on capturing hip-hop culture.

Youtube.com/EliteDaily

Youtube.com/EliteDaily

On February 16, Elite Daily uploaded a lighthearted video Noel participated in, where exes go through each other’s phones. Noel’s ex-boyfriend Chris was initially cast in the video and asked her to come along.

YouTube.com/EliteDaily

YouTube.com/EliteDaily

It wasn’t long before Noel faced horrific taunts from black commenters, including “ape” “gorilla”, “bitch”, “ugly” and the “dirt under my fingernails”

AfroPunk.com

AfroPunk.com

AfroPunk.com

AfroPunk.com

AfroPunk.com

AfroPunk.com

AfroPunk.com

AfroPunk.com

In a feature on AfroPunk.com, Noel spoke about the bullying she faced;

Many of those attacking me for being born this way are really dealing with their own inferiority complexes unbeknownst to them, and gain a false sense of superiority by trying to make me feel like less of a person…With lack of accountability, they’re less likely to reflect on what caused them to be so cruel, which prevents them from ever looking on the inside to get to know themselves and understand their own hurt. Essentially, social media cyberbullying has ushered in a dangerous evolution of self-hate.”

Noel says she is confident in herself, thanks to her family.

I am eternally appreciative for growing up with such a strong family unit that nurtured my proper development and ensured my self-love, despite what anyone had to say. I’m someone who is very comfortable in my skin, and prefer my nose, lips and any other feature that makes me, me. I truly due pity anyone who feels the need to try to make me feel inferior.”

She also quoted Erykah Badu, ““Hate for anything stems from a fear of something.”

Noel, who is of Grenadian descent, was featured on natural hair blog Global Couture in 2014 where she discussed her decision to go natural.

Natural isn’t a “trend” or a new “lifestyle;” it’s how you’re born. Don’t forget that. I actually have way more confidence wearing my natural hair. I hadn’t realize how severe my lack of confidence was back when I was straightening my hair daily.”

Read Noel’s full comments on AfroPunk.com.

Tanaquil
Tanaquil

Sad. I like how Black people are so quick to call out White people for racism, but won’t check themselves smh the intra-racism and self-hate is real. This reminds of the article I read where the women who was crown Carnival Queen in Brazil had her crown and title taken away from her because there were complaints from both sides of the fence that she was too dark.

abbiethrills
abbiethrills
Reply to  Tanaquil

It’s self hatred, pure and simple, and they don’t realise they’re projecting that onto her. It’s sad when black people still haven’t decolonised their minds.

Purple Sound
Purple Sound
Reply to  abbiethrills

Exactly. I find that other non-American Blacks are the only ones who see the hypocrisy..

cryssi
cryssi

Wish my complexion was as even as hers and would kill for full lips.

People really never learned if you have nothing nice to day, be quiet.

Internet courage is just real life cowardice.

Rose
Rose

I do feel sorry that she had to experience that. It is totally disgusting that pretty much all of the hate was coming from black Americans, especially men. We really need to stop giving trolls power and attention, especially men who wish to sexually objectify and dehumanize us. Her response was poised, *educated*, and unbothered. Those trolls wish they had her self-confidence. As a side note, I am starting to have distrust and no hope for the male gender as it stands today. I know very few men (I can count them on one hand) who are not into misogyny… Read more »

MalikaiDragonSlayer
MalikaiDragonSlayer

People are really assholes.

GirlrillaVintage
GirlrillaVintage

Sis, thank you. You’re such a beautiful human-spirit. We be so magnificent in all of our Afrikaness! We autochthonous to the planet and most folks can’t accept that. One <3

Leana-Kaye Smith
Leana-Kaye Smith

She’s a lady. Good for her that she doesn’t let other’s opinions bring her down. All the best Noel!

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

I love her?? The only one defending her was Kari and one is good enough for me. The Columbian student’s comment was on point. She’s the truth. Her skin color is a badge of honor. They don’t know what they are talking about.

Mya Cowley
Mya Cowley
Reply to  Sabrina black

Kari also was the first comment saying she hated Dark skin girls. She was being completely two faced in her posts.

Pamela A
Pamela A
Reply to  Mya Cowley

She didn’t say she hates dark skinned girls but accused the other commenters of hating dark skinned girls.

Aria Whitaker
Aria Whitaker
Reply to  Mya Cowley

I really think you misread the post, Mya.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Mya Cowley

How many posts did you write stating this mis-information? Talk about embarrassing!

Elle P.
Elle P.

Wow! Smh

BeautyIAm
BeautyIAm

Hmmmm, but I thought this is what a lot of black people root for. Ya know, like BLACK LOVE. Minus his cheating ways, what was so wrong with them being together? I really hope that black women are really paying attention to how other black people clearly feel like love and relationship is only meant for a certain type of black person. Heaven forbid you don’t look like Halle Berry or Beyonce if you are a black woman. According to certain black people, those of us with darker skin and facial features deserve no love or protection. Yet, as black… Read more »

CaribbeanGlow
CaribbeanGlow
Reply to  BeautyIAm

I like that she knows she deserves better. Lol, when he was saying there’s a chance, she was like “there’s no way”.

That’s a deep point you make and I do think black women are paying attention. Love for black women is conditional in the black ocmmunity. One of the main conditions is having lighter complexions and European features.

kekwanu?
kekwanu?
Reply to  BeautyIAm

Exactly, those who are admitting that Noel “IS unattractive, though” should look deep within their souls and minds to better understand why she (or anyone for that matter) is “unattractive”. Despite what some believe there is not litmus test for beauty. It’s not like pH. It is a subjective assessment based on a socially-constructed standard. The notion that she is not beautiful because her nose is prominent relative to her other features, is itself rooted in bias… This “symmetry” rationale is itself socially-constructed. Few people’s features are perfectly evenly sized, so “symmetry” is often used as a basis to deem… Read more »

Donnella Collison
Donnella Collison

Damm… This just breaks my heart so much, man. When did it become ok to be so nasty to someone you dont know and has done nothing to you! Unmannerly little cretins. But thank god spaces like this exist for us to come uplift and heal among ourselves. I just wanted to come and send some love to this young woman’s way. You are beautiful with your beautiful skin, beautiful nose, beautiful lips And allll that hair!! I bet you’re smart and dope as hell too! I pray that the Creator continues to bless you with all the good things… Read more »

Guest
Guest

I bet you’re smart and dope as hell too! “–She’s a med student, plays the piano and violin, runs an organic cupcake bakery and freelances as a photographer–her subjects includes, Jay‑Z, Nas, Erika Badu and so on. She really has a wonderful life.

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Guest

ikr!

Mya Cowley
Mya Cowley

That Kari M person, was so two faced. She had the nerve to go on someone else’s post and say “The self hate is real” When she made a post about her hating Dark skin girls smdh wtf?

Donald Freeman Jr.
Donald Freeman Jr.
Reply to  Mya Cowley

Mya, you may want to read that post again. She seems to be referring to how the other posters are negatively commenting about Noel’s appearance.

Pamela A
Pamela A
Reply to  Mya Cowley

She was accusing the other commenters of hating dark skinned girls, not saying that she herself hates them.

Akaia J. Dizadare
Akaia J. Dizadare
Reply to  Mya Cowley

I think you might want to re-read Kari’s first message. She was not being two faced at all. She was asking why people hate dark skin.

Roro
Roro
Reply to  Mya Cowley

Kari was stating that the other commenters hate dark skinned girls. Re-read the status.

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn
Reply to  Roro

re read she saying that self hate is prevalent when she uses the term real its slang

Aria Whitaker
Aria Whitaker
Reply to  Mya Cowley

Huh?? Her initial comment said “YA’LL hate dark skinned women so much” …nothing about HER hating them.

strawberriecoils
strawberriecoils
Reply to  Mya Cowley

she said “y’all hate darkskinned women so much” referring to the other people she commenting on saying their self-hate is real.

lis
lis

I hate people.….….….….sometimes.

Lucy Barnard
Lucy Barnard

this is another scam the western media plays. all the other participants were average looking but they choose a black girl who doesn’t have typically pretty features. i dont think this is because she was dark, if they put lupita n’yongo up there with her ex no one would be saying anything. this is because they deliberately chose the black female contestant to be less attractive so people would notice and link dark skin to unattractiveness. god bless her tho she got a buff man! so this is BS

kekwanu?
kekwanu?
Reply to  Lucy Barnard

I think you missed the point entirely.

Holmes
Holmes
Reply to  Lucy Barnard

exactly this is featurism not colorism but folks are too embarrassed to admit that black folks also have *self-hate* issues with features as not just skin color

NaturallyMe
NaturallyMe

I see nothing wrong with this woman. She’s beautiful and her lips are to die for! She is ethnic and exotic, and simply not common enough for the narrow-minded (mentally enslaved) who must always go around comparing themselves to others while using whiteness as a measuring rod so they can feel better about their insecure little selves.

Christina J

She’s a lady. I absolutely love what she conveyed. People and their social media smh wow

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

The bullying and racial insults are uncalled for and show how pathetic people are. With that being said, to be black and to find another black person unattractive doesn’t automatically equate to self hate or hatred of black features.

Shelley Stallworth
Shelley Stallworth

This is just plain sad. She didn’t deserve that. I am so happy that her family raised her to love herself despite what people say.

maralondon
maralondon

Thank god she is able to handle all the hate that was directed at her. This slave mentality which a lot of our people have is so disgusting it frustrates me. The Willie Lynch legacy needs to be dead and buried, it’s about time we fully appreciate what we have in all it’s glory and stop allowing those that don’t resemble us to define our beauty standards. Learn that beauty comes from within first of all and if someone can’t project real beauty from inside then what chance do they have on the outside?

Truth Hurts
Truth Hurts

Why are you guys feeding this hate by reposting this B.S? Sometimes reporting internet comments onl adds fuel to the fire.

Bernadette Jackson
Bernadette Jackson

I understand why people think she’s unattractive, but if you really look at her she isn’t unattractive at all. She has classic African features, but unfortunately Black folks’ eyes and minds have been trained to see strong African features as ugly it is different from Eurocentric standards of beauty. I’m sure it is hard for her to deal with the hate despite having an intellectual understanding of the source of it. I pray for her heart to be stronger than any pain she might feel because she sounds like one of our best.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

Whether you or others consider her unattractive is absolutely IRRELEVANT. This video has nothing to do with looks or beauty. This video is not about a modeling competition or crowning a beauty queen. I do not care what people think about how she looks because that IS NOT the purpose of the video.

stephanie Scott
stephanie Scott

i absolutely agree, but i think its a little reckless to paint this a machination of black culture. I think she has strong sort of hominid features that are not necessarily anti european, but perhaps on the other end of the spectrum from infantile. For example Ron Perlman is a white male with similar features. She shouldnt have to suffer through people’s opinion on her looks, but i think its irresponsible to conflate vapid preferences with internalized racism

Holmes
Holmes

not true, Ron Perlman just has very pronounced prognatism a negriod skullshape but other than that he is classically Caucasian featured.

Elsy Valerio
Elsy Valerio

Thank you, Because she is Beautiful as an artist I would love to draw her.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

Black social media does way too much. This is why I do not use social media. Messy messy messy.

Mka
Mka

We’ve created this world where you apparently must be extremely good-looking to show your face on a public forum and people are vigorously affronted if you dare to do so without fitting that standard. We don’t all look like Naomi Campbell. Should we lock ourselves up?

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Mka

Thank you. Whether people consider her beautiful or ugly, they have no right to disrespect her online like this. The message seems to be that because she does not fit their standard of beautiful, she should lock herself up in a basement and deny her right to exist. Very disappointing, especially when this behavior is coming from black people. But then again, when you see how quick black folks on social media are quick to “clown” and demean people of their own race, this is hardly surprising. A lot of the people making these comments would be labeled “ugly” by… Read more »

TWA4now
TWA4now

True…a lot of us cry BLACK LIVES MATTER but put each other down (some) and say hateful things about each other. “WE” get mad or upset when others do this to “us” outside of our race! When will it stop? #self-love

OXxo
OXxo
Reply to  Mka

One of my friends’, male, commented that Naomi Campbell is ugly. Why? Her character. It seems that some other men need to grow up.

TWA4now
TWA4now

It all boils down to self-love, self-acceptance. and celebrate ourselves…as is!

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl

Sadly I see this a lot, especially on youtube. Some black people are so hypocritical. They cry “Black lives matter” and racism all the time. Always forcing their opinions on others and so quick to call themselves activist, yet some of these same people are the ones who are coming at this young lady with such hurtful and unnecessary comments. No we don’t have to find everyone attractive, such is life. But how does expressing those thoughts on the world wide web add to the discussion? How is it helping anyone? You people have no consideration for others and it… Read more »

ss (short & sweet)
ss (short & sweet)

She’s such a sweet young lady. She will be all right! The amount of cruelty going around these days is appalling. It seems the more we acknowledge the beauty of our complexion, the artistry of our lips and cheekbones, and the glory of our tresses — it calls more trolls out to hunt. The backlash Mrs. Obama got was horrendous. And still she stands. There is no reason to be this evil towards another soul. They can push all they want — but we will stand.

Cosita
Cosita

SMH Her ex boyfriend is really cute. Too bad he’s a cheating POS. You are better off girl.

marie
marie

She is beautiful; I don’t see the other women in that video any more beautiful than Noel. I know you have beautiful hair, stop covering your face with all that hair; hiding your striking beauty.

Miss.
Miss.

Look I’ll be honest, I give extra love to my fellow brothers and sisters who are dark skinned AND have broader features because I know people almost always treat them negatively even when they know nothing about them. I’ve witnessed it too many times from blacks and non-blacks and I just want to protect them in an anti-black world. I apologize if it sounds patronizing but I know how it feels when you’re out and someone gives you a genuine smile or is just very nice during interactions. I’m not extreme about it, just a smile or something if I… Read more »

rusurprised
rusurprised

smdh.…black people

Ali
Ali

In all honesty, as soon as I saw this womans picture I recognized that she is not cute or pretty but it has nothing to do with her hair of skin color becuase i am darkskinned with afro features. Its just noticeable how certain features stanned out/ overshadow her face because they are very large.

X
X
Reply to  Ali

go away. You are part of the problem

kekwanu?
kekwanu?
Reply to  Ali

Your comment is a good example of the problem itself. You yourself (based on the way you’ve described yourself) would fall outside of the standard of what’s beautiful (and for clarity, I would, too). However, instead of calling BS regarding the standard itself, you feel comfortable isolating this women and using the standard to oppress HER. We have to do better.

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn

Ppl online would always commey nose saying I look like a monkey etc so I changed my profile pic. I know I’m not ugly I know my nose isn’t as big as some but it gets to you. And it always from other AA’s. Like I can control what feat. my father passed along to me.If you don’t look like kim Kardashian ur considered ugly in this world now. I feel like black ppl are the most critical of our own ppl.

Christina Guillot
Christina Guillot

Smh those comments had nothing to do with the video. They should’ve kept the negative comments to themselves.

disqus_Jwz6tzxH5A
disqus_Jwz6tzxH5A

That is so ridiculous to pick on her. She is pretty and has a very nice smile. Her eyes light up when she smiles. I am only looking at her photo, I don’t know her but I would wager she is also a very nice person.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

I knew instantly it had to do with her skin shade. While she’s not necessarily drop dead gorgeous(which I know is subjective), she’s far from ugly, and I truly believe she wouldn’t get this level of hatred with those features on lighter skin. What a shame, her channel is probably worthwhile, but all people want to focus on is her looks.

Cassie
Cassie

Wonder what her dna ancestry looks like?

nubian queen528
nubian queen528

Is shameful all this hatred come from black people!
The black communities comes to the rescue only when police and white society brutalizing black men but not black women!
This lady she will be forever young thanks to its beautiful full melanin!
Shameful as they carry as trophies people with fair skin and light skinned! People should educate themselves!

Optimus
Optimus

Stuff like this makes me so sad.
It always seems like the more African one looks, the uglier one is considered. This white standard of beauty has to die. Not every black woman looks like a white girl dipped in chocolate.
Also, how can people on the internet be this cruel? It’s disgusting, honestly.

Thandiwe
Thandiwe
Reply to  Optimus

There is nothing like “more african”. The African genetic pool is very diverse. She is a black woman and does not deserve this kind of evil.

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Thandiwe

I AGREE!

Holmes
Holmes
Reply to  Thandiwe

Ok lets not be dumb here yes indeed Africa has diverse gene pool but we all know that is the Negriod phenotype and genotype (which this lady clearly has) that gets the hate this beautiful lady is getting hate because she does not resemble Queen Nefertiti, Iman or Kola Boof.

k.h.
k.h.

Ok it is disgusting for people to say what they said, but in all honesty, she is not physically beautiful by any beauty standards I’ve heard off. There’s a reason not everyone is a supermodel. It has nothing to do with her skin. Lupita is GORGEOUS. This lady is not. I’m sure she has a lovely personality but if someone doesn’t find her remotely attractive that doesn’t mean they dislike afro-features or that they have an inferiority complex lol. I’ve had strangers compliment on how “pretty/beautiful” I look, but I’ve also had people call me “ugly”. In all honesty I’m… Read more »

Colby
Colby
Reply to  k.h.

Her physical attractiveness or lack there of has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the video. So people commenting on how she looks, their comments are out of place. This was not a beauty related video.

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  k.h.

Ok, I’ll give you that. We ALL can’t look like Miss USA. For me, it’s not that she’s this or that, it’s the “ugly” responses to her. She is pre-med! She has an “ex-boyfriend” so there is a lid for every pot. A lot of “us” called Olympian Gabby out not for winning the gold but her hair?! There was nothing wrong with her hair! True beauty is an inside job and it’s not what “we” call her but what she calls herself that matters.

Tanaquil
Tanaquil
Reply to  k.h.

You need to look at some of the comments posted a couple more times. It’s one thing if someone doesn’t find here attractive, but neither her or anyone deserves to be called a monkey, gorilla, dirt under my fingernails, etc. Just like how you said there are people who have called you beautiful, and others who have called you ugly, that is the case for everyone. Beauty is the most subjective thing in the world. This woman is talented, intelligent, well-spoken, and loves herself and is proud of her dark skin and features. She’s not the first dark-skinned women to… Read more »

k.h.
k.h.
Reply to  Tanaquil

.…..I’m sorry but I don’t see the point in your response. I said the comments were disgusting, so no, I do not need to read them again. Did I say she deserved to be called a monkey? Honey, YOU need to read my comment again. I said beauty is subjective, you restated that. I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So have a seat please» _ my comment was in response to all the comments saying that if I or anyone else doesn’t find her attractive we have deeply rooted self hate and don’t appreciate black beauty.… Read more »

Purple Sound
Purple Sound
Reply to  k.h.

Girl, bye. I’m entitled to my opinion just like you’re entitled to yours. Don’t agree? That’s all you had to say. Leave out the “honey” and “have a seat” because they’re both overused phrases and are indicative that you probably spend too much time on the Internet and need to go outside somewhere and get some sun.. People on the Internet are a trip sometimes. Always bitter and ready to argue or put someone in their place if they have a differing opinion. It’s fine to see someone as un-attractive, but why escalate it to “manly”, “gorilla” or “monkey”? It’s… Read more »

k.h.
k.h.
Reply to  Purple Sound

???people on the Internet ARE a trip. Is you mad? Or nah? ?. Honey, please go back to 5th grade and practice your reading comprehension. I said I didn’t agree with calling her an animal or anything like that. Please HAVE A SEAT because you are just repeating everything I already said. Smh. I swear some people are so slow sometimes. ?And I get plenty of sun honey, don’t worry about me??. Now the fact that you assume I don’t get out enough because I use common vernacular is truly scary. That’s such an oxymoron it’s unbelievable. But anyways.… I… Read more »

k.h.
k.h.
Reply to  Tanaquil

You’re the one that needs to be re-reading. I said it was disgusting what they were saying. I never excused their behavior or said she deserve it. And I said it has nothing to do with her skin. Honey, please read before commenting because it seems like you didn’t pay attention to to what I said. And yes, I CAN say Grace Jones is unattractive to me. Because that’s the thing, BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER, like I said PREVIOUSLY. AND we have this thing here in America.…..it’s called free speech. I can say Grace looks like… Read more »

Dr.Rue
Dr.Rue

Regardless if you think she’s attractive or not, there’s no need to attack her skin color or features. Black people please travel, explore the world, get to know Black beauty outside of eurocentric standards for Black beauty.

Carmyne Revolver
Carmyne Revolver

I honestly don’t think she looks bad. I think the initial interview made her look terrible. Lighting, shadows where they shouldn’t be etc. Also, the hair in the first video, completely takes over her face. I do think she looks prettier with her natural hair. But the lighting in that first video severely distorted what I was looking at vs. what seems to be her natural features.

parkwood1920
parkwood1920

Black people spewing Klan-worthy insults at a Black woman for the crime of being visibly African-descended. Jesus, some folks have no shame about unleashing their self-loathing out into the world.

Marya
Marya

I saw her instagram she’s not that ugly.…

Maryy
Maryy
Reply to  Marya

Correction — Shes not ugly at all. Stop hating.

R. Walker
R. Walker

Well the real problem is that they should have put some makeup on her for that video and they should have done her hair. Anyone who works in film and video knows that hair and makeup are essential. There is a reason why they are on hand for every shoot. She isn’t attractive enough to carry video. Very few people are. This is why hair and makeup are used. I could have hooked up her face and made her look beautiful for this shoot. The comments are always going to come from the black male misogyny crew and this behavior at… Read more »

kaydenpat
kaydenpat

Sad. Why taunt someone for how he or she looks? So immature.

Marya
Marya

I’m not hating shut up. I never said she’s ugly bye Felicia!

worlds oldest rapper

gosh who needs the KKK

carrie00987
carrie00987

If people think she’s ugly — it’s not a crime. Calling her ugly online or offline is not a crime either. Get a life!

Tut
Tut

Only a story because she’s darkskinned. If it was about Tiny being called ugly no one here would care. People and their hypocrisy bore me. I don’t care if they think she’s ugly. That’s life.

Tut
Tut

Only a story because she’s darkskinned. If it was about Tiny being called ug?y no one here would care. People and their hypocrisy bore me. I don’t care if they think she’s ug?y. That’s life.

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess

She would probably get the same treatment if she was light skin or brown.…let’s be real. It’s not her shade, it’s her features. She isn’t a “drop dead gorgeous model”, but she is still pretty and she definitely has feelings. I know she doesn’t care, but still, people shouldn’t be treating her like this.