[Pics] Men Vow to Wrap Their Hair at Night with the #BonnetBoyz Movement

Avatar • Jan 3, 2016

Early on New Year’s Day, Twitter was going AWF with the #BonnetBoyz hashtag. Twitter users @Gladvillain and @YouUglyOnSkype set everything in motion with just a couple of tweets of their bonnets.

Not long after that, things really took off.

Apparently, everyone caught on to the secret to decades of Snoop Dogg’s flawless tresses

Now this isn’t even a fair trade! We need our bonnets ya’ll!

All we can say is please don’t steal your girl’s/mom’s/sister’s/cousin’s/aunt’s bonnet. Just head to the nearest beauty supply store and get your own. It cost the same price as a du-rag.

Share your thoughts on the #BonnetBoyz movement below!

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

More effeminate behavior…

Lolalao
Lolalao
Reply to  Ms. Vee

I can understand a satin pillowcase because it’s good for the face and hair. ..I can’t get with this bonnet stuff.

bOr
bOr
Reply to  Ms. Vee

What? Black men have been wearing do-rags for literally decades, what’s the difference between that and a bonnet or a scarf? They’re both pieces of cloth that you put on your head to protect your hair(style), but somehow a do-rag is masculine and a scarf is effeminate? What. Ever.

kandiekj100
kandiekj100
Reply to  bOr

The durag is only good for certain things (cornrowns, low fade with waves, etc.) However, guys are wearing more hair now and a durag will smush (sp?) a high top or mini fro, or anything that doesn’t involve keeping the hair flattened.

bOr
bOr
Reply to  kandiekj100

I know that, but thank you for the answer. My main question still remains, a do-rag and a scarf/bonnet are essentially the same thing functionally, so why are some people getting all up in arms about men wearing a scarf/bonnet, like it’s some kind of horrible aberration from the natural order?

KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Because only Black women should care about their hair? Lol you all need to get off all this homophobic thinking. Why do you feminize things like haircare and skincare but then want to call a guy undesirable if their skin or hair looks a mess?

hassia
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Oh I guess unkept hair and ashy skin is oh so manly!

cryssi
cryssi

Umm okay

Justice S
Justice S

I support you my brothas.Find a good sista and wear it together.Ain’t no shame in my game.

Chevanne

This is hilarious and I’m all for it. They care just as much as we do about hair.

Leila
Leila

I’m all for it! Men need to protect their natural curls too

Queen Ekuba
Queen Ekuba

I love it! Go guys!!!!

SheridaDaily

bwahahaha i love this!!!

Elle P.
Elle P.

Interesting and hilarious! The hair grooming habits of black men isn’t really new. I read in Hair Story that the guys would wrap their hair at night to lay their waves dating back as far as the 1920s… Here is a link to the book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250046572/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe‑1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0312283229&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y3BKM95R75SGQ0HZPE8

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn

Bonnet Movement? a do rag was the first head wrap for men but this isn’t nothing new and not a movement

dwntomars
dwntomars

I love this on soooo many levels.

Guest
Guest

This is hilarious! I don’t know what I would do if my husband walk in with a matching a hair bonnet–I’d probably die. So hilarous!!!

kalexa1
kalexa1

Er…why??

Mia-and-Lillie.com

Lol funny!

NaturallyMe
NaturallyMe

Well…we’re all black, so I guess in this case, what’s good for the gander is good for the goose. I mean, we have the same hair, black women and men, so why should the hair care principles we have learned and applied be exclusive?

My husband will never swipe my bonnets since he’s white (that’ll be the day lol! ) but MY natural products, especially my raw Shea Butter, had somehow now become OURS. It’s not “hey where’s YOUR aloe? “, it’s now “where’s THE aloe???” I don’t know when my personal stash became universal. Giving some real side eye here.…

Dana Brown
Dana Brown
Reply to  NaturallyMe

I know that shea butter battle! My White husband swears it’s the best pomade he’s ever used. I ended up having to buy him his own tub, because I’m not fond of running out in the middle of a loose twist installation.

hassia
Reply to  Dana Brown

running out in the middle of a loose twist installation.” , please stop I have visuals. LOL.

Lakitha Goss
Lakitha Goss
Reply to  NaturallyMe

I can relate. My ex fell in love with all of the butters such as Raw African Shea butter, Raw African cocoa butter, cupuacu, kokum, and aloe butter. He also loved my jojoba, avocado, apricot, coconut and monoi oils. Everything he said was ours also along with my turmeric and Raw African black soaps.

MyFluffyPuffs

I love this hashtag on Twitter! Yes men have the same hair care issues as us and it’s good to see them support that #SilkPillow #Bonnet wave.

beesh
beesh

This is just not right…

hassia
Reply to  beesh

Why, should it only be women with long hair? Very not 2016!

Cosita
Cosita

I don’t see any difference between this and do rag. I can’t keep a bonnet on. I sleep too wild. I do scarf and pillowcase. I have been watching black men curly hair tutorials on youtube. They are doing cowashes, wash and go, twists. Some are really good at styling. Even my little cousin ( well he’s 20) does his own twists.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Cosita

Yep. This is nothing new and it kills me how some folks need to find something wrong with it.

I can’t keep bonnets on either and honestly I don’t even have much luck with scarves, which is why I usually just use the satin pillowcase.

What I hate seeing is people (regardless of gender) wearing bonnets in public. What’s wrong with wearing a proper hat over it?

Lakitha Goss
Lakitha Goss

I love this. I am sitting here laughing myself crazy. Todd Trucker from RHOA and Snoop are to blame for this. I was checking out the picture with the brotha with the a Got 2b pomade. ladies, we are soon going to man our stations in the beauty supply and ethnic hair sections of Walmart, Target, Kmart, and Walgreen’s. The men are taking over our products. I am preparing to fight for my Raw Shea butter and Vatika Like! A sista is not going out like. Next it will be our defining mousse and creams. The white women and other… Read more »

LaurenT
LaurenT

Men just use a satin/silk pillowcase…

kia
kia

I can’t believe Colee dumb ass done made it to BGLH