[Pic] This Surprising Ad Reveals that in 1982 ‘Waves’ Were Marketed to the Entire Black Family

Avatar • Jan 24, 2016

Black folk have grappled with their natural hair texture for a long time. Told by forces within and outside of our culture that our coils are just too tight and need to be loosened we’ve come up with quite a few creative solutions — from jheri curls to conks to today’s texture management systems. Back in the 80s a company called ‘Fulla Waves’ was trying to make wave caps a thing — for the entire black family.

fullawaves vintage ad

All we can say is we are happy this did not catch on.

December86
December86

WAVES on spin cycle! So glad this didn’t catch on like that Jheri Curl!

Dee
Dee

Looks a mess.

Interested
Interested

Style is a no no but how many decidedly black families like that do you see in advertisements today.

lis
lis

How about protective styling?…why does Black hair need protective styling?…

LBell
LBell
Reply to  lis

Well, you know…it’s that L in BGLH…folks still believe that long hair is the Holy Grail that will redeem any other perceived physical fault, such as dark skin, large nose, large lips, etc.… 😉 I believe protective styling is an OPTION, not a NECESSITY. But for real…if I were still stuck on the length-by-any-means-necessary train I’d be protective-styling 24/7/365. If someone offered me $1K today for every inch I could grow I’d be one braided-up wig-wearing sister. I know from experience that retention-wise my hair does best when I leave it the hell alone. Since I can’t leave it alone, I don’t… Read more »

silly little thumb
silly little thumb

that’s terrifying.

Cosita
Cosita

Why does some form of the word “manageable” seem to come up when it comes to our hair. Really starting to hate that word and how people act like our hair is so unmanageable. Also I don’t believe in using chemicals like this on little kids. Just my opnion. although my mom (who went to school) used dye and other chemicals on me.

Camille
Camille
Reply to  Cosita

Most white people literally HAVE TO wash and redo their hair every day because it gets oily and starts to dread at the scalp. I am curious what people’s definition of “manageable” and why black hair doesn’t make the cut. It will never be easy to make one hair type try and look like another. There isn’t much that can be done for unrealistic expectations.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Cosita

Manageable”, “tame”, and “train”. All of these are trigger words that bring out my inner Black Panther. 😉

Also, BGLH: Thank you for using a word like “surprising” to remind me just how old I really am. 😉

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn

this caught on hence finger waves men wearing du rags etc

MyFluffyPuffs

Ahahaaa oh man oh wow! The whole family wears stocking caps at night. ? Goodnight, mommy and daddy — going to bed looking like a bank robber!

Kevin Bacon
Kevin Bacon

The mom looks creepy

Tonia682
Tonia682

I remember this ad and thought it was hideous then.… Still is!

CocoaGoddess