I Tried the Ethiopian Practice of Putting Clarified Butter (Ghee) in My Natural Hair

Avatar • Jan 13, 2016

One of the coolest things about hair is that a lot of kitchen ingredients work well for treatments. Coconut milk, honey, and olive oil are all ingredients that my hair loves, and I love that I can pick them up from the grocery store while doing my weekly shopping. After reading about the benefits of ghee, I decided to use it on my hair. What’s ghee, you ask?

Ghee is clarified butter, and is often used in Middle Eastern and Asian cooking. It’s also used in Ethiopia as a hair treatment.

An Ethiopian man with ghee in his hair

An Ethiopian man with ghee in his hair

Why put butter on one’s hair? Because there is a difference between regular butter and clarified butter. Basically, clarified butter is the fat only, and is like a solid oil.

ghee

I have read that according to Ayurvedic principles, ghee promotes hair growth. Now…whether that is true is neither here nor there (I’m not sure if it does), but it is a great “oil” for the hair. My experience with ghee has been great.

Consistency: Like a thin pomade…turns to oil quickly and absorbs easily into hair and skin.

Smell: I think it smells a bit like sweet cream, but I can see how some people would interpret a twinge of funk. At first, I thought it smelled like the fake butter that they use in microwave popcorn, but it started to smell like cream. Someone also told me it smells like havarti cheese?

Uses: As a prepoo, ghee is awesome. I’ve prepooed with it overnight, and 20 minutes before washing, and my hair was soft each time. Also, it’s not so thick that it leaves an annoying residue. I’ve also used ghee as my oil under a gel, and had great results! It’s not greasy, and I got softened, non-crunchy hair. For my skin, it’s not heavy (like shea) and absorbs quickly, softens skin, and gives a “dewy” appearance. I even used it on flat ironed hair to smooth it before I put my scarf on for the night, and my hair was so soft in the morning! I didn’t even care that I got called “cheesehead” for a couple of days (if this would bother you, please rinse it out!).

I’ve also been cooking with my ghee and using it with toast. I spread it on gluten free bread and add a dash of garlic salt and pepper. Regarding internal benefits, ghee is said to lower the risk of heart disease and contains vitamins A, D, E, K in addition to fatty acids CLA and butyric acid. And it’s so tasty! Just don’t use too much. You can either order ghee online or purchase it from your local health food market (I don’t think I’ve seen it at the mass chain grocery stores) or Indian market.

Have you ever used ghee for cooking or your beauty routine?

cryssi
cryssi

Hmmm, I’ll look into the stuff.…I’ve heard of it before, but I wanted someone else to try it first

Caroline Akwi
Caroline Akwi
Reply to  cryssi

LOL! My Eritrean neighbour uses it and has encouraged me to use it on a day when I will not have to go to work. Will update you, cryssi 🙂

Jo
Jo

Good post! I plan to try this!

rumo
rumo

In what country is it called ghee, because that is not what it is called in Ethiopia? Is this in English?

Dana Brown
Dana Brown
Reply to  rumo

It’s called ghee in India and goes by many different names.

rumo
rumo
Reply to  Dana Brown

Ah, thank you!

dr ali syed
dr ali syed
Reply to  rumo

Ghee comes from Pakistan and India. It is generally made from scratch by fermenting milk to curd (yogurt). The curd is churned to get butter from the top, leaving butter milk. The butter is then cured with flour and processed to convert it into Ghee. I will try to get research the whole process of making Ghee soon for your information.

Caroline Akwi
Caroline Akwi
Reply to  dr ali syed

Ghee is the commonest butter used in the cattle keeping tribes in the world. I think we differ in the methods of producing it and wonder whether all peoples use gourds for churning the milk. What I have noticed is that most or all the cattle keeping tribes have gourds which are specially used for the sour milk because of their light weight and shape. They are easily tied to their luggage as the herdsmen graze their cattle for long distances. Gourds are beautiful too 🙂 In Ateso, its called akinyet in some parts while in areas towards Karamoja its… Read more »

eton
eton
Reply to  rumo

In Ethiopia, it’s known as k’ibe (kih-bay)

Jojo
Jojo

I’ve read that you can also make your own ghee. It involves cooking the butter (from cows that are grass fed) and then straining it. I saw the recipe on the website for Wellness Mama. Too lazy to do it myself but I’ve thought about a lot

Habibty
Habibty
Reply to  Jojo

Yeah it is pretty easy to boil and strain yourself. We use it a lot in Ethiopian cooking and add pepper and spices. In Ethiopia its used as a prepoo or deep conditioner, so I find it strange that she used it as a leave in.

Lolalao
Lolalao
Reply to  Jojo

You read wellness mama too? 😀 I just read about black Seed oil on her blog..awesome!

Likewaterforchoc
Likewaterforchoc
Reply to  Jojo

What is it called in Ethiopia? I’ve seen it in the Arab stores around here but there are some Ethiopian stores that I would rather throw some support to as well if I can.

Genet Bogart

This is not the Ethiopian hair butter. the butter we use in Ethiopia is not processed and is pure. that’s why it works. you can only find it here http://www.Shuruba.com

Caroline Akwi
Caroline Akwi
Reply to  Jojo

Raw ghee is got from churning raw milk that has been got from a cow, and put in a gourd, or bottle. After every milking, some milk is poured in to the container (gourd or bottle) and after some time, it should be shaken (churned) in such a way that the milk is separated from the fat/ ghee. This process lasts as long as you want to accumulate the ghee and as a result, one gets two products: sour milk which one keeps on pouring out for cooking stews, or drinking, and ghee which is later boiled or also consumed… Read more »

Habibty
Habibty

You can just ask for clarified butter. In my language Tigrinya we call it tesme.

lecia p
lecia p

Just a thought. Would adding an essential oil help the smell? Lemon, orange or something aromatic? I’d like to try it but not if im going to smell like stinky cheese! lol!

Caroline Akwi
Caroline Akwi
Reply to  lecia p

lol! suggested using ghee to my daughter and she was like ” I am not ready to smell like milk”

Sandy
Sandy

Its also used in the Caribbean alot for cooking purposes. My mother use to use Ghee for making roti which is mostly used for that purpose. She cut down the usage of Ghee for health reasons. I don’t know if I would use it for my hair though. Maybe

Caroline Akwi
Caroline Akwi
Reply to  Sandy

Traditional ghee is best because comes from cows which have not been fed on artificial medicines and feeds. Ghee from natural milk is healthy but rare, I think. I pray i never get to a point of avoiding ghee because it makes food delicious… Ghee has been part and parcel of the cattle keeping tribes and never did it ever have side effects. I remember whenever the ghee was cooked it was always and exciting moment where some of it would be mixed in ground nut paste (pea nut butter) and some without and we would eat it with millet… Read more »

mangomadness
mangomadness

I will try clarified butter (a.k.a. tesme, k’ibe , etc.) as a pre-poo soon. It’s not too different than my beloved coconut oil pre-poo. As a woman of African descent, I like the fact that it’s an Ethiopian haircare practice.

am
am

I’m Ethiopian and have been doing this since I was a kid, so I’m happy to see it featured!

One tip: In order to get rid of the smell, Ethiopians often mix in some coffee grounds with the butter, or do a coffee rinse after rinsing it out the butter (we love our coffee) and I find that helps a lot!

Wivine
Wivine

In Rwanda we also have that, I considered using it too but I somehow was waiting for someone to first try it. Thank you for featuring it.
Here it’s even cheaper that any other butter so I am definitely trying it ?
I have type 4c, do you think it’s gonna work??

Genet Bogart

Dear Elle, if you want the best results, as Ethiopians do it,cooking the butter isn’t a good idea. we never do that. there is a product that is just coming out and its the real thing with amazing natural blends. i can give you the information if you like to try it.let me know. Genet.bogart@gmail.com

Tobi I
Tobi I

I’ve seen Ghee at the Giant food stores in my area (DMV) So I think that means that TJs, Whole Foods and Wegmans probably have it

Reply to  Tobi I

Hi Tobi l, if you are talking about an Ethiopian ghee, nobody have it. except one online store. shuruba.com try that.

BonPourMoi
BonPourMoi

I was actually using ghee in body butters and found it to be super moisturizing but still light. I decided to add it to a hair mask a couple of months ago, and my curls looked amazing! The only problem (huge problem) my hair was funky, the scent set with me even after I re-washed my perfect curls the next night. My hair looked great once again, but that smell still lingered, like spoiled milk, or old cheese. Now I’m leery, but I think I have to melt the butter better, like a melted coconut oil substance, and then maybe… Read more »

Priya
Priya
Reply to  BonPourMoi

Someone mentioned mixing some coffee grounds to get rid of the smell.…the guy 3 comments above you

Reply to  BonPourMoi

Try this real Ethiopian butter. No funk lol http://www.shuruba.com

Sarah Brooke

Wow I must try this! I’ve always wondered if it would be good to put in hair.

Reply to  Sarah Brooke
hanan
hanan

Hi u all butter for hair has been used in Ethiopia for a long time most Ethiopians swear by that is highly beneficial not only for hair but also for the brain and eyes.and ladies use unsalted butter not ghee.

Karla
Karla

Thank you for sharing this! I use a lot of Ayurvedic living tools in our family life. My youngest two daughters were born in Ethiopia and we became family through adoption. Ghee is amazing! I let them eat as much as they want because it is so healing for the gut and works from the inside out to moisturize. It’s great in nighttime milk with spices to nourish and calm the nervous system and promote great sleep. I cook with it and we use it on hair. We even lube up the nostrils in the winter to moisturize and protect… Read more »

Reply to  Karla

you can now buy it here. http://www.shuruba.com

Liiii
Liiii

Hi. So basically unsalted butter works too Ethiopians use that I hav3 no idea about ghee which I’ve I’m not mistaken is the Indian version of pure butter ? Anyways when you wash your hair we put shampoo in our hair firstly before any water touches the hair. And like massage IG and start trying to get the butter out then use COLD water to rinse. Using warm/hot water is what causes the smell(that’s what Ethiopians say). Hope this was helpful to someone 🙂

Naomi
Naomi

I mean I’ve tried this as an Ethiopian and it does work well, but I’m not a fan of the smell of this butter so I don’t do it often.

Reply to  Naomi

No smell, try this one http://www.shuruba.com

Genet Bogart

Hello everyone, this ghee you are using and talking about is not what we Ethiopians use at all. the real ghee is now available here in the u.s. it also got many great oils that compliment the ghee and good for hair. check it out . http://www.Shuruba.com

Tmd
Tmd

This blog has it all wrong. You can see how it’s made on youtube, like here:

All you need in heavy whipping cream and a blender.