How One Black Woman Went from Looking Down on Africans to Relocating to Accra, Ghana

Avatar • Jan 27, 2016

Africa consists of 47 nations, is the most natural-resources-rich continent in the world and produces the most highly-educated immigrants to America. But sample the latest Western media portrayals of Africa and you won’t hear any of that.

This is part of the reason Native New Yorker Imahkus Okofu grew up looking down at Africans.

I didn’t want to be no African. The pictures that the media painted of Africa, the only Africa I saw was Tarzan and Jane… Would you want to come to Africa? I didn’t want to come to Africa at all, because there was nothing good that was told to us about Africa.”

In an interview with BBC, Okofu explains how her view of Africa drastically changed after visiting Ghana and experiencing the Elmina Castle in Cape Coast, where slaves were held before their transatlantic voyage.

“As I stood there… I remember being terrified. Gradually, I could feel people touching me, soothing me, saying, ‘It’s alright. You’re home. You’re safe. Welcome back…’ I knew then that Ghana was going to be my home.””

Okofu sold or gave away almost all of her possessions and moved to Ghana in 1990. She says that she does not hate America, but feels that blacks have to fight hard for every cultural stride they’ve made. Africa involves less struggle, she says, although the continent is not perfect.

Watch the 5 minute video here.

Ladies what are your thoughts?

TWA4now
TWA4now

Wow! She definitely has a story to tell! The.media rarely puts out.ANYTHING positive when it.comes.to.Africa or.blacks. I’m happy she.took.time to.embace.her roots AGAIN! I am looking forward to part two.already!

Rosa
Rosa

Great article I think it’s great that she changed her views about Africa as a continent, but there are 54 countries in Africa currently, not 47.

Chiamaka Madu
Chiamaka Madu
Reply to  Rosa

Yes! Please update this, my continent has 54 beautiful nations, don’t limit us!

LBell
LBell

I’d like to think that, thanks to the Internet, these days we’re doing a little (a lot?) better when it comes to diverse representations of Africa. I’m going to defer to the African readers of this site on that… This woman is from my mother’s generation and yes, back then you almost never saw anything good about Africa that didn’t involve white folks (usually going on safari). As a child I remember watching Tarzan movies on TV (behind my father’s back because he didn’t want us watching them)…but I didn’t have the same reaction she had because I was lucky enough… Read more »

MJ
MJ
Reply to  LBell

In terms of Ghana, definitely try and get out to the Cape Coast and visit the slave castles. There’s Cape and Elmina Castles, you actually stand inside the dungeons where the slaves died/waited and it’s a unique experience. My parents are from East and Central Africa and so my connection to the slave trade is not as strong as maybe West Africans, Caribbeans and North Americans of African descent but there was this feeling of connection to what the African diaspora went through, and still goes through. You’ll love Ghana, it is a country whose people genuinely embrace all sorts… Read more »

Dr.Rue
Dr.Rue

I travel a lot due to work and just came back from Kenya and omg it is so beautiful there, I could see myself living there.

Yayra
Yayra

Nice article but accuracy is the key to credibility. There are 54 countries in Africa. Easy to check. Google.https://www.reference.com/geography/many-countries-africa-6d064c6831667ac9