Fitness Shouldn’t Trigger Depression’: Fitness Guru HeyFranHey Proudly Shows Off 25 Pound Weight Gain

Avatar • Jan 25, 2016

Just this morning we posted about the backlash Tia Mowry has received for an uptick in her weight. It got us thinking about a post natural hair and fitness guru HeyFranHey shared back in July explaining why focusing on a weight goal is unhealthy and reductive. The gorgeous guru shared the following photo to her Facebook page with a powerful caption;

On the left: 125 lbs. I was running all of Central Park (6 miles around) 4–5 times a week. HIIT workouts (high intensity interval training) every morning. My focus was on staying small, hard and lean, so I went beast mode on the cardio and plyometrics.

On the right (currently): 150 lbs. 10–15 minutes of daily cardio (running outside, riding my bike, jumping rope to full songs without stopping). I started lifting heavy weights in the gym. As well as body-weight exercises at home. Less of a focus on cardio (still doing it daily just not as hard) and being small. More of a focus on being consistent, happy and active.

This isn’t to say one lifestyle is better than the other. It’s to show that you have to switch up your routine until you find one you can commit to knocking out daily. Now I’m at more of a natural weight that I can sustain without any injuries or physical and mental stress.

Fitness should challenge you but it shouldn’t trigger binging, always falling off, sadness or depression. If it does, you’re going about it the wrong way. You should feel clear-headed, motivated and alive! Don’t use scales to obsessively weigh yourself all day long, either. That’s not what this is all about. Focus on your naked body in the mirror until you see what you like. And please don’t create diets/workouts/lifestyles based on your IG favs. Base it on what makes you feel like you’re reaching your full, most beautiful and highest potential.

Stay healthy! And happy!

You already KNOW we have to salute this queen!

e1e99afe34689486a1ee3ed280fd48ae

This is a seamless integration of body positivity and fitness inspiration and we LOVE it!

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

PrimmestPlum
PrimmestPlum

I don’t think that Tia Mowry’s weight gain and Fran’s weight gain should be equated to each other. Even though Fran has gained 25 lbs, she, has gained mostly 25 lbs of muscle–not fat. Muscle weighs more than fat and also burn more energy than fat alone. She’s still very much into her fitness regime and just seems to have added weight lifting to it. Tia seems to have just gained more fat than muscle. Happy weight, so to speak. Although, I agree that Tia shouldn’t be thrown under the bus for her change in size, I don’t think it’s fair… Read more »

disqus_4hPJPnvDv7
disqus_4hPJPnvDv7
Reply to  PrimmestPlum

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. These are different things. I think the point of this article is that no one should be singularly committed to a size/lifestyle if they find it unsustainable for where they are in life currently. Whether it’s muscle or fat gain.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter

I’m happy to see this. I think Fran looks great either way. However, I think her current choices in fitness are better. I know firsthand that it’s hard to keep up with something that feels burdensome.

Tashi Pinkney
Tashi Pinkney

I’m obsessed with my body. I want it to be perfect but freak out when I skip the gym or if I’m not eating well enough. i need to find a balance and still meet my goals

Rose
Rose

Exactly it is sad that women are so criticized for their bodies that her physique change would be considered offensive or even unattractive to some. Women are always expected to have the strangest body types, every single one under the sun, all at once, and all sexually desirable by men (no matter the fashion of the time). Women must have a thigh gap, a big butt, a tiny waste, no muffin top, huge breasts, no cellulite, and be perky, and an ageless 21 year-old all the time. Women are so beautiful and we make ourselves feel so ugly by living up… Read more »

Alwina Oyewoleturner
Alwina Oyewoleturner

Beautiful!!! I couldn’t tell the difference at first. Thanks for sharing! I also believe you have to do works for you and have fun doing it. I used to do a lot of running and HIIT workouts. Then I went did physical therapy for my knees because I wasn’t stretching/foam rolling. Now the goal is build my strength and start running again but taking it easy and having fun. Just signed up for the Brooklyn Half Marathon here in NYC. Looking forward to it and having fun!

kia
kia

I went from 105 to 155 in a matter of 4 months. I had always been 105–110 since 7th grade and I have two children. The weight gain came 2.5 years after the birth of my last child. It’s not the end of the world & I’ve embraced my weight gain. Weight & looks aren’t everything.

PrimmestPlum
PrimmestPlum

My mistake about muscles weighing more than fat. I was only half right. Muscle burns more energy than fat but it doesn’t necessarily weigh more. However it still holds true that Tia Mowry’s weight gain and Fran’s weight gain are NOT equivalent to each other. I still find this article just a tad bit misleading. My concern is that the article’s intent, however, good will give people a “pass” for weight gain under the guise of “if it makes you happy”. I think that that is a very slippery slope to navigate. I know weight is a sensitive subject so I’m… Read more »

Mr logical guy
Mr logical guy

Eat healthy, exercise and whatever weight you end up with be content.

Dana Brown
Dana Brown

I love this! And she looks so much happier and healthier in the picture on the right 🙂

S. Williams
S. Williams

had this very conversation with my troop. she expressed to me that she felt happiest when she was malnourished/underweight. her words “is it so bad to want to look like the girls in the magazine even if its photoshop?!” through tears. I was training her for her fitness assessment and had to work hard to get through both her physical (she started off super weak) and mental barriers. mind you, her body weight was 110 but she was just lacking muscular strength. we struggled through her issues together. she is currently around 112 but you can see more tone and… Read more »

TWA4now
TWA4now

She looks GREAT now! IT’S ALL a mindset!

veronica
veronica

This speaks to me on so many levels! I went from a fit and supple to obese and flabby over the course of a year. Even though I am happier than I’ve ever been I struggled with the naked woman in the mirror. Now, getting back into the swing of being healthy; its a slow process but I’m happier than I was before while doing it. I’m not stressing and depressing over a missed workout or downing a carton of fig newtons. Day by day- no- CHOICE BY CHOICE, I’m getting healthy and in shape again. This is the most… Read more »

dwntomars
dwntomars

Bruh, if 25 extra pounds looked like this on me I would wear it proudly too!

Lola
Lola

She’s hot either way. And any one who is criticizing her is not okay. I mean come on!