#Actually: Ingrid Littré — not Sanneta Myrie — Was the First to Wear Locs in the Miss World Pageant in 2009

Avatar • Dec 23, 2015

A few days ago, we erroneously reported that Sanneta Myrie was the first woman to bring locs into the Miss World pageant. In actuality, there was another reigning queen who came first. Meet Ingrid!

ingridmissworldlocs

Source

Ingrid Littré of Martinique was a contestant in the 2009 Miss World pageant held in Johannesburg. Littré placed 8th in the pageant. At the time, she was the only Caribbean to place in the pageant’s top 16. She was also the 2nd runner up in the Miss World Top Model category.

Also we’re totally geeking over her instagram.

Instagram @ing_be

Instagram @ing_be

Instagram @ing_be

Instagram @ing_be

Instagram @ing_be

Instagram @ing_be

Instagram @ing_be

Instagram @ing_be

Thanks to our readers who pointed out the fabulous Littré to us in the comments. Her locs are #GOALS.

Share your thoughts below!

ShawnaD
ShawnaD

I am going to correct you again, this woman from Martinique is not the first woman wearing dreadlocks in a pageant. It was actually another Jamaican by the name of Zahara Redwood who was Rastafarian in 2007, 2 years before that one that you have listed before. Here is an official article about her — http://www.reuters.com/article/us-missjamaica-idUSN2028940620070520. Nothing from Wiki.

BGLHRinny
BGLHRinny
Reply to  ShawnaD

We’re only highlighting the Miss World Pageant and not pageants as a whole in this instance.

Caribbean Girl
Caribbean Girl

As a woman from the Caribbean, it aggravates me to see the mishandling of the word. First: it is spelt C A R I B B E A N The root word is Carib. So 2 b’s, & just 1 r. Second: when referring to some one from the Caribbean, it is correct to say a Caribbean woman or man. Here, Caribbean is the adjective. It is only used as a noun (on its own) when referring to the region or the sea. Therefore, “… she was the only Carribean to place in the pageant’s…” should properly read “… she was the only Caribbean… Read more »

Elodie Careme
Elodie Careme

Thank you BGLH! You rock! I am so happy to see someone from my island featured on your website!

Phoenix Starr
Phoenix Starr

Her locs were fake. so there’s no “natural” beauty there.

Cindy
Cindy

BARBADOS 2005

Aldene911
Aldene911

I guess the Jamaican was more memorable? Made more of an impact to have placed in the top 5?!?! IDK the others surely didn’t create the splash the Jamaican did. I can’t see how I cannot remember this one..I always remember the standouts.

Gillian Scott
Gillian Scott

BGLH, please do some research on Marielle Onyeche Miss Barbados 2005. I think you are wrong on this count. Miss Jamaica 2015 is the highest placed dreadlocked contestant with Miss Littre also among the first dreadlocked contestants. The official Miss Barbados website has a note on Ms Onyecehe that should be enlightening, but even with this claim, you may need to do some further research because I hear claims of a Miss St Kitts.