Black Principal Removes 8th Grader From Class for Having “Poofy”, “Unprofessional” Natural Hair

Avatar • Nov 11, 2015

A 13-year-old girl was removed from her Toronto middle school class for wearing her natural hair out instead of pulled back. The child says she was sitting in her 8th grade class at Amesbury Middle School doing her work when the principal pulled her out of the class, telling her that if she didn’t pull her hair up she’d have to spend the rest of class time in the office. She also referred to the girl’s hair as “too poofy” and “unprofessional.” The girl’s family has chosen to keep her anonymous to prevent backlash. According to the Toronto District School Board, hair is not covered under school policy.

I didn’t see what the big deal was about my hair because it wasn’t bothering anybody. I was just doing my work, so I didn’t see why I had to be pulled out of the class,” says the the girl. The principal in question is black woman, and upon learning this information the little girl’s aunt had this to say:

We grow up all this time feeling as though we’re not beautiful.…To think she’ll never get a position or she won’t be accepted in society feel like it was drilled in her when she was younger or when she was growing up and now she’s projecting that onto little black girls that may remind her of herself

Check out the story below.

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

Camille
Camille

One of the biggest ironies is that natural hair is the style of choice for so many prominent academic/intellectual black women. Not everyone likes it, but not everyone needs to like your hair for you to be a success in your profession. Even if you take the natural hair issue out, so many things just boil down to straight up hostility and disrespect of black female bodies. She is a child learning to do her hair, not an unprofessional distraction.

Kay
Kay

This is ridiculous. There was never a probelm with her hair.

Guest
Guest

So is the family going to take this lying down or nah?

Marmaduke
Marmaduke
Reply to  Guest

Neither the family or those who are against this should take it lying down. This poor girl’s aunt put up a fb post about it and the superintendent of the school’s contact info is there. If we’ve learned anything from Mizzou, unity and solidarity are the only way we’re going to make a difference. A woman picking on a child for her God-given hair (crochet braids but still) can not be in charge of the future of the students at that school. She’s a bully and doesn’t have the capabilities to make professional decisions herself. To anyone who found this… Read more »

Cathy0001
Cathy0001

Not professional? In elementary school?

Good-digger
Good-digger
Reply to  Cathy0001

She’s brainwashed. Her “professional” comment made that very clear.

good2bfree
good2bfree

Unfortunately, as Black women, we can sometimes be our own worse enemy. It’s bad enough that a system of white supremacy has already wreaked havoc on the self-esteem of too many of us, but can’t nobody hurt you worse than your own. I wonder what her upbringing was like?

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  good2bfree

What is this comment? Chile…

Tonia682
Tonia682

I’m a teacher and I guess I would’ve been kicked out too because my hair stays on poof!

Cosita
Cosita

If the school doesn’t even have a hair policy then what authority does this principal have to pull her out of class? Hell what is she even doing in the class. Does a school administrator with many responsibilites have nothing better to do with her time than worry about this child’s hair? Not someone I want in charge of my kid’s education. The reporter keeps asking people if they are surprised the woman is black. I’m not. Self-hating Black people are the main nemises to natural hair.

candytripn
candytripn

This is fucking retarded; how is this even a thing? There’s so much wrong with the “standards” at school.. This (while it seems) probably isn’t a racist thing, (black principle) as much as a “retard in charge” thing. I was suspended from highschool many times.., blue hair, trench coat.. even a santa hat! Point is, fuck the “you need to conform” shit. Be who you are. That fluffy curly pile of hair on you is beautiful… (I know this is about a 13 year old.. I’m talking 18+ ;p) I for one love the natural look of black women, there’s nothing… Read more »

Good-digger
Good-digger
Reply to  candytripn

Calling her hair “puffy” and “unprofessional” is something that the principal learned from boring and racist white people. Just trust me on this one.

Dying your hair blue VS being born with kinky hair

Your comparisons aren’t even close, but it is nice of you to pay an honest compliment to this girl.
Thanks for stopping by! 😉

RBCA07
RBCA07

This woman has internalised racist and white supremacist attitudes and now oppresses the younger generation with them. We need to get these schakles off our minds, we are firing shots into our own homes. Eeesh. Very disappointing. I hope the family check this woman and take her back to elementary school.

Ms. A

Is this principal related to Wendy Williams by any chance? I swear this is how it begins — kids are taught racial divide at a young age by insecure fools like this grown woman. Was the girl being disrespectful in class? Some self-hating woman embarrasses a young girl and segregates her to belittle the way she looks.

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

I am not on the principal’s side. I actually agree with the 8th grader. I want her to wear her hair out and up. If I were her principal, I would compliment her hair. If the girl doesn’t have a problem with her hair, Why should the principal? I’m glad that her parents and Aunt accept how her hair grows out of her head. The principal at this point does not surprise me.

Marmaduke
Marmaduke

So is there going to be any repercussion for this discrimination? a young student was literally embarrassed and disrupted from her learning. Not only that but these are the types of negative influences that will stick with her the next time she looks in a mirror at her beautiful self, especially during such formative years. I don’t think it’s extreme for this woman to lose her job. That’s the type of mentality and lack of foresight that leads to a cop being called into a classroom to beat up a child.

Marmaduke
Marmaduke

Janice Williams
Janice Williams

Our hair has power and the ‘System’ knows it!

hidaya
hidaya

The school is teaching intolerance and bullying. Protest that school!

blackgirlblackwoman
blackgirlblackwoman

black people are our own worse enemy

DLB
DLB

Why aren’t schools banning children with lice-infected hair? If these lice-infected children were banned from school, then other children wouldn’t catch lice in their hair. I say this because there is nothing wrong with the girl’s hair. She hasn’t caused a health hazard with bug infested hair.

Ogami Zulu
Ogami Zulu

The Principal’s name is Tracey Barnes. schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/amesbury/ 416–395-2000

Her boss, the Superintendent, is Glenford Duffus. Both of them are Black. He can be contacted at glenford.duffus@tdsb.on.ca.

Good-digger
Good-digger
Reply to  Ogami Zulu

Thank you. This happened in the city where I am from and I was shocked and disgusted.…

The_Sus
The_Sus

Let’s look at this with a reasoning head — The principal was out of order removing the child for such a petty reason — even “unprofessional”; if she thought the child’s hair unkempt, a more professional approach would have been to make a suggestion in a less public manner. I do not think that it is outside of her remit to promote neatness in appearance in the interest of the students (all), but in a positive way.However, the manner in which it was done, and the singling out of the child seems to suggest other motives for the removal, none… Read more »

Good-digger
Good-digger

I don’t understand how one’s hair can be unprofessional in an elementary school setting, so I’m gonna have to assume this principal is a brainwashed fool, and leave it at that. It’s probably her Uncle Tom attitude that got her that position in the first place, and I guess in her mind, this is her way of keeping it (pleasing her real/imaginary slave masters).

Observer

The principal is a black woman, so it is difficult to understand why she would take this position. Certainly, it would have made that little girl feel humiliated without reason. Hopefully, the principal will understand why black and white people cannot understand why this child was subjected to this treatment and apologize.