Black Beauty Vloggers Tout Chemical Peels as the Answer to Hyperpigmentation

Avatar • Nov 21, 2015

Chemical peels aren’t a new practice but as more black women vlog about it on Youtube, it’s catching fire as a trend to eliminate hyperpigmentation and scars. From scar fading gels and creams to laser treatments, women have been on a quest to restore their blemish-free radiant skin. Laser treatments are often expensive and scar fading gels typically take months to show any results. However, chemical peels are being touted as a way to quickly bring blemished skin back to square one.

Chemical peels do exactly what the name infers: a strong medical-grade chemical is applied to the skin by dermatologist or DIY at home which induces a controlled burn and the skin…peels. The newly revealed layer often decreases if not eliminates the appearance of scars and hyperpigmentation.

While the process is quicker than any of the other options, there is a horrifyingly awkward stage: your skin is literally peeling off your face and no, you can not remove it!

See the results from a few Youtubers below.

Have you tried a chemical peel? Do you think it’s something you would try in the future?

Editor’s Note: Please note we are not endorsing any treatments and suggest you consult with your primary care physician or dermatologist before applying any controlled substance to your skin.

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

scribe drizz
scribe drizz

I might. I have scars that I’ve worked on removing for years.

cryssi
cryssi

I’m afraid it would take away my freckles

mangomadness
mangomadness

I do at-home chemical peels. My favorites are Makeup Artist Choice 25% Mandelic Acid Peel and 15% Mandelic Acid / Salicylic Acid Peel. Both are great for my oily, acne-prone, hyperpigmentation-prone brown skin (West African descent).

Check out MUAC’s blog for Before-and-After pictures of customers (Black, etc.): https://makeupartistschoice.wordpress.com/

bOr
bOr
Reply to  mangomadness

I use the MUAC peels as well, I’ve moved from the 25% Mandelic to the 40%, which I alternate with the Fade Peel. They have really done wonders for my skin, removing the dark spots and replacing the overall dullness with a healthy glow. I’m hesitant to try any of their stronger peels, because (1) I can’t afford the downtime while my entire face peels off and (2) I’m scared of a chemical burn.

Just a correction to your post, their testimonials page (which is what convinced me to try their products) is actually http://makeupartistschoice.blogspot.com

Maggie A

Youtube now has promoted so many forms of cosmetic vanity, it is hard to say when something is needed for vanity versus necessity.

TWA4now
TWA4now

I have some hyperpigmentation. I would LOVE to use it but I have about 30% molds on my face. How would it affect me? Has ANYONE used it with mokds on their face?

Shaks
Shaks
Reply to  TWA4now

Please consider seeing a dermatologist. Do not try to apply any type of chemical peel by yourself especially if you have moles!

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Shaks

Thank you!

Shun May
Shun May

It is important to go to an esthetician or dermatologist. As a skin therapist, I believe you should see a professional first before dong peels at home. Chemical peels are wonderful;however, you need to know what you are dong. Also, it is important to start with a low percentage and increase the percentage overtime. Please understand that before doing peels at home. Finally, you need to understand the right peel for your skin type.

Camille
Camille
Reply to  Shun May

I agree. There are some services you should pay a professional to do. It’s irresponsible to promote a caustic chemical service and then supposedly give a disclaimer.

Shun May
Shun May
Reply to  Camille

very true!!!

Mary
Mary

I would consider this. My hyperpigmentation lasts forever and I get it for every pimple, whether I pick at the pimple or not. I hate it. My skin is descent, otherwise.
I would want to go to a professional, though.

separationcs
separationcs

Only use CosmelanMD through a doctor. It is $750 but you get many treatments out of it. Never use lasers, Jessner, or any DIY!

chigrl
chigrl

Wow! I have tried chemical peels (TCA to be exact) in a dermatologist’s office and had peeling but nothing like what’s being shown in these videos! This is like a 2nd-degree burn; seems really excessive by way of how many layers their doctors used on them. My doctor specifically indicated you can’t go fast with peels go slow and limit your peel layers to not cause severe damage or issues.

Maicurls

I have uber sensitive skin and everything leaves a scar (touched or untouched) however, this scares me lol. It just looks as if it should be painful. I just…I couldn’t…peeling skin just makes me think pain.