West African Inspired Tribal Mask Contour Make-up Method

Avatar • Oct 18, 2015

Contouring and highlighting is nothing new. However, now the trend of contour art is just taking off. From clown contouring and sugar skulls to even a henna contour, the art of extreme contouring is one that commands creativity to apply and yields mystifying results. No stranger to the make-up game, YouTuber Destiny Godley took a crack at creative contouring trend with her own method which she calls the “African Mask Method.”

Shortly thereafter, a few more YouTubers such as JaMexicanBeauty incorporated their own spin on the method.

YouTuber Desiree Gneco also has a version of the method. This one’s in spanish!

Do you contour? Would you try out the tribal mask contour method?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

Sammie
Sammie

LOL this is too damn much. I’ll take my concealer, brow pencil & tinted balm all day over this. … but not gonna knock their hustle. ..

Saran
Saran

I think this isn’t for me for I really can’t draw, talk less of drawing an african mask.

Sithé Annette Ncube
Sithé Annette Ncube

No thank you

Mackenzie Irick Milks
Mackenzie Irick Milks

The results are amazing. But, I just can’t now, or ever, imagine painting an entire new face on top of my old one. The layers upon layers…upon layers. By the time you are finished…ugh! Now, I really do want to learn how to do my own makeup, but there has to be much less going on during the process for me to be interested. Creating “natural” looks by applying 18 layers of makeup seems counterintuitive. Either way, the end result is beautiful.

krystlejosea

I absolutely love how creative Destiny is! Yes, it’s a lot of makeup but it’s just another unique way of doing a full face look, especially if you are bored of the normal routine.

C Bishop
C Bishop

We just need to be careful that we aren’t offending our African sisters. After all (at least in this video) we’re wearing these markings just to wipe it away with a blender while those who respect and understand the meaning of every tribal mark, wear it for a completely different reason.

maji
maji
Reply to  C Bishop

Its about it being a mask not tribal markings themselves. Masks are temporary as a rule

C Bishop
C Bishop
Reply to  maji

That’s the point. It never was supposed to be a mask.

eljjai
eljjai
Reply to  C Bishop

At least someone sees the potential for offense here. Why not just call it tribal. Attaching a very real place (Africa) to your make believe play-time is a little…
ugh I’m too tired to do this.

maji
maji

Destiny Godley is the truth! I wish I had a tenth of her talent. I would try the African mask.

Jenny
Jenny

Can’t believe black people are still using the term tribal.….

Phoxxie
Phoxxie
Reply to  Jenny

Huh? You do know that tribal doesn’t just pertain to African people right? A tribe consists of indigenous people…natives. There are tribes in almost every continent on the planet. Why does this bother you? I’m really curious to understand your logic.

Nei
Nei

I can’t even begin to imagine slapping that much synthetic junk on my delicate brown skin. I really don’t feel that all of this is necessary to show off or subbing beauty. But to each her own.

Ellen
Ellen

Destiny Godley is hands-down one of the best youtubers doing make up for dark skin. She’s just a blessing. I’ve learned to appreciate all my features watching her tutorials. Yes. She piles on a lot of make up. But she even talks about that sometimes. You dont have to use all the products, but it gives you ideas on how to bring out whatever you want to highlight. Check out her reviews for lipstick for dark skin. Just excellent.