From The Ironing Board to Space: #ItWasABlackWoman Spotlights Black Woman Inventors and Innovators

Avatar • Sep 23, 2015

itwasablackwomanimage

A couple of days ago, the internet was ablaze for the quarterly #blackout day dedicated to celebrating black beauty. Shortly thereafter, the #itwasablackwoman hashtag appeared. Twitter user @WhoisSizzle stated he wanted to create the hashtage to celebrate the accomplishments of black women.  Not long after, twitter was flooded with black history facts on phenomenal women.

Some twitter users also used the #itwasablackwoman hashtag to share personal accounts that attribute black women for the positive impact made in their lives.

We want to hear who you’d include in #ItWasABlackWoman! Share in the comments below.

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

Yoli
Yoli

Thank you for posting a positive, uplifting article

lis
lis

#ItWasABlackWomanwho made me see that I wasn’t crazy for feeling what I felt, seeing what I knew I saw and having the courage to speak on it.#BlackWomensEmpowerment.

Chevanne

I wish these facts were incorporated into school curricula to not only recognize black people as essential contributors to this nation but normalize their prominence. The black American story is not just one of oppression but extraordinary innovation in ALL areas.

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

This gave me an emotional moment. The emotional feeling didn’t hit me until I got to the ones using the hash tags to talk about personal matters. All of this positivity you guys are giving out is touching. I didn’t hear this in grade school but I’m newly 20 so I’m not late. You might call me “strange” but I didn’t know black women were inventors except for the flat ironing invention. Now I know. #Itwasablackwoman who taught me when to clean myself, how to dress, and how to act. She taught me that my skin was a badge of national… Read more »

eljjai
eljjai

This is great! We need more articles like this. I’m loving the positive vibe this site has going on lately. There’s so much good to focus on. Keep it up!

asha
asha

#it wasablackwoman that was the first black woman in existence that started it all. She was the beginning on this earth of this beautiful race of people, to you I am grateful.