Did Christian Louboutin Miss the Mark with This Queen Nefertiti Ad?

Avatar • Sep 10, 2015

Did Christian Louboutin whitewash history or are people being petty? Many were here for Christian Louboutin’s announcement of their Fall 2015 lipstick collection last week. What folks weren’t here for was the advertisement that came with it. The ads featured Algerian model Farida Khelfa as Egyptian Queen Nefertiti.

Many weren’t impressed with the designer’s attempt to pay homage to Queen Nefertiti. Some folks were asking why the luxury brand chose to whitewash an African queen by featuring a model that almost looks white, instead of choosing a model with a darker complexion. Others argued that Khelfa is indeed African and Egyptians come in all complexions.

Check out the images and social media reaction below.

An ad from Christian Louboutin's Fall 2015 lipstick collection.

An ad from Christian Louboutin's Fall 2015 lipstick collection.

An ad from Christian Louboutin's Fall 2015 lipstick collection.

Here are the responses left by some on the Christian Louboutin instagram account.

FullSizeRender (11)

FullSizeRender (13)FullSizeRender (7)FullSizeRender (12)FullSizeRender (8)

What do you think? Should Christian Louboutin have used a darker model or is the ad fine as is?

KnottyNatural

He was probably thinking of Cleopatra…

Reply to  KnottyNatural

Who was Macedonian, not even African 😐

Dee
Dee

I’m not sure here. The bust of Nerfertiti looks exactly the image of the model. If that was inspiration for Nefertiti’s looks, then that’s what the modern world has always known.

cryssi
cryssi

I’m just not here for the “not black enough” comments. Even if you would have appreciated a more brown model, don’t insult her with your complaints. I’m honey mixed with cinnamon and if I were more of a peach sorbet color I would still identify as a woman of African heritage.

Don’t deminish the model over your preferences. Never tell someone they are too black or not black enough.

Reply to  cryssi

She’s not Black though and that’s ok. Most Egyptians aren’t Black they are Arabic.

cryssi
cryssi

In my mind to all 3 replies is this seems to me to be semantics. She’s not a descendant of white African colonists.…

So she is African. Light? Yes. Born in Africa? Yes. Does her Algerian Berber ancestry trace directly to the location of her birth? Yes.

So in my mind she is black. Point. Blank. Period.

On an irrelevant note, do you consider French Montana black?

Reply to  cryssi

No, I don’t consider him Black and I don’t consider any Arabic person Black because they are classified as white. Also, Arabic people were the first to colonize Africa. That’s why so many Africans are Muslim.

lis
lis

No, the Greeks were the first.…Arabs came in the 7th century.

devany
devany

wait arabs are classified as white?!? from my understanding i had always believed them to be classified as “middle eastern”. but then i guess there are so many ethnic groups in that part of the world so who really knows lol

Reply to  devany

Middle Eastern people are classified as white. There are various ethic groups, but only three races Black, white, and Asian.

Myllee
Myllee
Reply to  devany

Ethnically people from the caucus region are Caucasian technically many Persians, Armenians, Syrians etc.… Are White

Myllee
Myllee
Reply to  cryssi

I prefer to think this comment was sarcastic if not Arab people are not Black sure some of them are mixed with African due to Slavery and natural mixing that happened between ethnic groups being around each other but please go tell an Arab is Black and see the reaction you will get. what’s next Italians are Black.

cryssi
cryssi
Reply to  Myllee

Did I say all Arabs are black? No, I think not lol I’m saying I believe she is black and that even Northern Africans have what we define as black in them. Can I offer you concrete proof? No, but I can offer that DNA testing had shown that most people of Berber ethnicity trace back directly to the continent of Africa. Now for your sarcastic Italian remark.…Yes, some southern Italians could be considered black due to the Moors migrating to southern Italy and merging with the people hundreds of years ago. That’s why the Southern Italians are more olive in… Read more »

lis
lis

These modern Egyptians are Arabs…descendants of the Arabic invaders and eventual conquerors of ancient Egypt in its decline.…Ancient Egyptians were Blacks…descended from the Ethiopian…Their Egyptian territory stretched all the way to the Sudan…Sudan also known as land of the Blacks.…If I’m not mistaken.

Tiffany Williams
Tiffany Williams
Reply to  cryssi

When that someone is showcasing a historical black person then yes you can tell someone they are not black enough.

Myllee
Myllee
Reply to  cryssi

She’s Arab not Black at all.

idris
idris
Reply to  cryssi

It’s not about not “being black enough” she IS ALGERIAN not Black at all. North African people does not identify themselves as “African”

Happy
Happy

The models’ features matches the bust of Nefertiti statue so people need to chill. Also, it seems like many black people have a false perception of what Egyptians look like. I went to school with quite a few Egyptians and there is definitely more than one phenotype.

Reply to  Happy

This is so right and Black Americans for whatever reason believe that we were in Egypt, although most of the Black people kidnapped from Africa came from West Africa.

secret87
secret87

I took my dna test and have zero west African dna. I have Black American, South African,Arab, and some small random white dna through out Europe. So all blacks are not from the west and Africans themselves think Im Ethiopian or Somali , or mistaken for Brazilian which I have a very tiny percent. With all this said its very possible for blacks to have Nile river dna. Plus they were dark to dark brown before mix racing. Black Americans due to sorry black men are becoming the next Egypt. I already meeting blacks with blue eyes or light brown,… Read more »

lis
lis
Reply to  secret87

Really?.…how interesting.…are you Black American or Caribbean because I’ve never heard anyone from either group say they don’t have West African ancestry.real question

lis
lis
Reply to  secret87

No.…..There were/are, have always been Black people with light eyes and hair…I have some in my family…and all the parents and grands we know are Black.

JasmineRose
JasmineRose
Reply to  lis

Tiffany Williams
Tiffany Williams

They need to stop with the “But she’s African” crap. They always do that. Whenever it’s a black legend they want to showcase they always choose a person that’s 1/15th black. So she’s black but not too too black, just a little black. T

asha
asha

They know exactly what they’re doing. Original Africans and the color of Earths soil… the same thing.

CC
CC

I don’t hate it. I think he knew better than to make her white. But people not of color tend to still think that all Egyptians had/have light complexions. But their own artwork says otherwise. I even had to educate my White/Korean and very smart fiance that Egyptians come in every color and had to remind him that Egypt is in Africa. I must say I do like the styling though.

JasmineW
JasmineW

now its petty because this is a black woman. sorry she isn’t “brown enough” for them we don’t all come in pretty cocoa brown.

Reply to  JasmineW

Modern aren’t Egyptians aren’t Black, they’re Arabic.

EllieLo

Nefertiti wasn’t a modern Egyptian, so.…..?

Reply to  EllieLo

The comment I replied to said people are complaining about the model being light skinned, when in reality the woman isn’t Black at all. Reading is fundamental.

EllieLo

I can read just fine. Your rudeness was unnecessary and childish. Your point about the model was entirely irrelevant because the concept behind this picture wasn’t about modern Egyptians. It was about Nefertiti, who was not modern and was Nubian and had darker skin.

While this model is certainly beautiful and has facial features that bring to mind Nefertiti’s well known bust (not the only depiction of her, but certainly the most famous), she’s not dark like her. I can see where Louboutin was going with her, but to many he missed the mark entirely.

Reply to  EllieLo

You’ve tried to twist this, but you’re still wrong. You tried to be rude in the beginning and I swiftly corrected you. People aren’t complaining about facial features, but race.

Slut-ocracy
Slut-ocracy

Only in the north, and then only some. I’ve met an Egyptian and he was black.

YourBelovedPandora .
YourBelovedPandora .
Reply to  JasmineW

What’s petty is when scientist have admitted what she looked like and we choose to dishonor her by making her what she was not. As a queen, she was proud of her complexion, and no one should change it to make a dollar.

Slut-ocracy
Slut-ocracy
Reply to  JasmineW

It’s possible the model’s complexion was lightened as well as airbrushed. This is common especially in India, where magazine models are made up to be much paler, then made paler again using editing software. Her features aren’t European so unless she is mixed, it’s unlikely that her skin tone is as pale as it appears in the ad.

Myllee
Myllee
Reply to  JasmineW

She’s not Black/African at all ( She’s Arab), it’s like saying Charlize Theron is the right representation of Africa because she’s South African lol.

Justice S
Justice S

Well the new Spiderman in the comic is hispanic.I didn’t see a problem with it.My ex did which why he is my ex.Some people were mad because Nick Fury was black,and I was like he is black in alternate universe and I love me some Samuel L. Jackson.Stop hating white people.

CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore
Reply to  Justice S

Um yeah you do know that Spider-Man is fictional character from a comic book while Nefertiti was a real person who lead an empire?

Justice S
Justice S
Reply to  CurlsGalore

Yes I know that just like Nick Fury is a fictional character but everyone was mad that Samuel L. Jackson played him because he is black.When Nick Fury is white except in alternate universe.I also know we need to fight all battles of racism.Like how black actors don’t get leading roles because of their skin.Especially black women the only roles they are in are ones with other black people.Or when they really fight for it and they change the character to black just for the actor.I have a really good one Idris Elba as Heimball in Thor.Now that actor should… Read more »

Summer
Summer

I most cultures the higher up and rich stay inside. So even though thats the color she MIGHT have been when getting some sun,she probably was pale af (pale as far as being lack can get you). And this lovely African model shows how diverse black can be!

eljjai
eljjai

This is just good marketing. Louboutin’s main buyers are rich insecure white women. Had the model been black she would have gotten no love from the consumers. Now the very obvious caucasian color, I mean hell, even the background was painted a caucasian shade, points to the obvious. Black folks this ain’t for you or about you. Want black models selling you things? Create and support black brands.

Myllee
Myllee
Reply to  eljjai

Although I agree with your statement besides the insecure bit since all type of women buy his shoes. it has to be noted Christian Louboutin is part Cameroonian and when he started out his main consumers were Black females.

Edges_N_Paris
Reply to  Myllee

Please stop spreading misinformation. CL has never come out publicly regarding Cameroonian heritage. Why must we as Black or African people always seek to claim those who don’t want to be claimed? Moreover, even if his main consumers were Black, which I doubt, his target audience is wealthy white women as reflected clearly from his price point.

EllieLo

It’s funny because just the other week Black fashion was praising Louboutin for featuring an ad with all sorts of women wearing “nude” shade pumps and them ending with “Nude is a concept not a color”.

Tides turn fast, huh.…..

EllieLo

I thought most of them were mad because they thought they made Peter Parker black when he’s not (even though some people were pissed that Spider Man itself was being played by a black person, some people just can’t cope, sadly)? I could be wrong. People will jump for any sort of reason nowadays.

But yeah, Nefertiti was Nubian, Nubians definitely had a darker skin tone, so I don’t know what’s going on here…
Even artwork that depicts her as lighter than she was were darker than this woman, so…

EllieLo

I really want to know how many people buy Louboutin products on a daily. Around $1100 for shoes? $90 lipstick? $50 nail polish.
.…but why tho?

DeepCherrish
DeepCherrish
Reply to  EllieLo

Detain lay not me and Hopefully not many, but if we aren’t see any of the money I don’t care.

Antonia
Antonia

.…And to throw this in, the lipstick is 90 dollars, and subpar just saying,

Akua
Akua

If she is black she is black. If she doesn’t see herself as that and she is not whatever. But people most certainly have the right to ask why a person who would most resemble Nefertiti was not used. That is all. It is not to argue about the models identity, but the correct representation of Nefertiti. On top if it all ancient Egyptians are BLACK not ARABs.

Slut-ocracy
Slut-ocracy

While Ancient Egyptians were black (it was only later that the Arabs invaded and that’s why Northern Egyptians today are pale), it’s worth mentioning that Louboutin is half Egyptian himself.

braveturq

REALLY? People are always trying to make something into a big deal. There is no ‘perfect’ representation of Nefertiti and who is to say she isn’t black? People always want to complain about something.

jllutseck
jllutseck

She is Farida Khelfa, lol.

Marianne_C
Marianne_C

The model really bears no resemblance to Nefertiti. Nefertiti had a small mouth, and a straight nose. It is true, however, that Egyptians come in all complexions. They are probably closer in genetic complexion to other Mediterraneans as they are to sub-Saharan Africans. The Sahara formed a virtually impassable barrier for a long, long, LONG time, effectively cutting off southern Africa from the Northern regions.

Delilah Rose
Delilah Rose

The ancient Egyptions are closer in appearance to the Arabs than Africans. Much lighter complecyed. Just look at their art.

Justice S
Justice S

Okay they could of gotten someone light skinned point blank.Egyptian aren’t pitch black but they sure aren’t pale they live in the desert.This is worse than Exodus Gods and Kings.They had all the black people as slaves and the white people as rulers it was the complete opposite.Stop trying to whitewash our culture.

P
P

I think Christian Louboutin doesn’t care.lol… I think he’s trying to appeal to masses that are not black. It’s like we don’t exist…that’s ok. Dear Christian..you should’ve used Iman, Liya Kebede, .…someone with some color, and those features.…it’s true north Africans were not dark dark…but they were brownish for the most part…not milky white. It’s just like these movies set in ancient Egypt, Greece and Mesopotamia.…all the characters always have British accents.…SMH!!!

Fix it
Fix it

After researching and looking at hieroglyphics…I conclude this a MISSED mark.

Nefertiti seems to have more of a darker Almond colored skinton.
If they would have tanned her it would have been more accurate

clever_moniker

At least he used an Algerian model? Silver lining?

DeepCherrish
DeepCherrish

I’m more interested in how much money black people are spending on his products and how much of that money is going back into black hands (3rd party vendors). The Arab invasion of Egypt brought in an entirely new global concept of the Egyptian, but even still you will see every shade there. It really wouldnt matter to me if she was night shaded it would still be cultural exploitation. We sell our own products we can use our own image of Nefertiti.

Anastasia
Anastasia

This woman is not white. She looks like a younger version of Azzedine Alaia muse Farida Khelfa,

Dee
Dee

Yet, white people get made that spider man will be played by a bi racial man in the next franchise. More outrage for the misrepresentation of fiction than history. Shame. Black people need to keep calling it out! Don’t let people quite the truth.

blacminerals
blacminerals

The ad is fierce non the less. While women of color come in ALL ranges of skin tones..ancient Egyptians are always portrayed as one particular shade. The hieroglyphics themselves speak otherwise. So while this designers didn’t want to ruffle too many feathers by choosing a non person of color.…he knew better in that aspect; he was treading the line as not offend or make his core customer feel uncomfortable. His core customer of rich caucasian women who don’t want to see dark-skinned beauties front and center.

Layla
Layla

Egyptians were not white but they were not black either. There’s this process called mummification, so we have enough generation and bone material to determine what race they were, and scientists and historians have both concluded that Egyptians were not black, however some of them were mixed. I don’t know, maybe read a book next time…