Stylist Develops Technique to Instantly Create Fully-Formed Locs on Loose Natural Hair

Avatar • Aug 26, 2015

Untitled

What if you didn’t have to wait months for your twists or braids to loc up? What if, in just a day, you could go from loose natural hair to locs? Well, Dubai stylist Kris McDred might have discovered a technique that can do it. Using a rattail comb, crochet hook and molding gel, McDred ‘interlocks’ the strands instantly. He admits that it is a difficult technique to master, but the results are pretty incredible. Check out the fascinating process below.

Incredible! Ladies, what are your thoughts?

Angelica
Angelica

Wow that’s amazing. He did an excellent job!

Kim Alisa
Kim Alisa

This is not new ‑_- This has been done in Jamaica for DECADES!!!

Ocean Child
Ocean Child
Reply to  Kim Alisa

I thought I’d seen it done before, some years ago, but I wasn’t sure. I don’t think a lot of people know it isn’t new.

EbonyLolita
EbonyLolita

So he replicated the tangling process by using a crotchet needle. Hmm.… I would just make sure I used a different gel to start them. Not regular ole gel, more like a Taaliah Waajid Tight Hold gel.

Ocean Child
Ocean Child

His voice is soothing to me :-)…oh, and good job. There was something satisfying about starting mine and watching them develop through each stage, but I think this is great for people who don’t want to wait for locking or those who have hair that takes a long time to lock.

Jolip
Jolip

I don’t wear dreads, but he makes it look like a easier method.

redpaperlantern
redpaperlantern

Whether it is a ‘new’ technique or not doesn’t matter to me. Most people will not take the time to show you how it is done. The fact that he patiently took the time to demonstrate the process is highly commendable. Thank you so much for sharing this video.

R Says
R Says

Exactly.
The exact word used was “discovered”, which I comprehended to mean new to the hair stylist.

I’m glad this technique was shared, because it is new to me and I’m interested in doing something like this to my mid-back length loose strands.

Purplebutterfly
Purplebutterfly

I think it looks good. Could this be done on hair every two weeks to cut down on manipulation without it locking? Thanks

Sithé Annette Ncube
Sithé Annette Ncube

Umm. This isn’t new. This is not new AT ALL!!! This is how I started my
locs and it’s a VERY popular method. Here in South Africa just about
everyone starts their locs with the crochet method. I watched youtube
tutorials of people crocheting their locs. Even white folk have been
crocheting their locs for ages. I almost feel like relating this to
appropriation but I know that won’t go down well. But seriously. Consider the fact that if someone posted about how a stylist recently invented crotchet braids people would be all up in arms.

Shiqyra Nelson
Shiqyra Nelson

I understand where you’re coming from but not that he never once said that HE developed the technique. He did mention that he has been using it for a while, it was the author of the article who gave him credit for inventing it.

Sithé Annette Ncube
Sithé Annette Ncube
Reply to  Shiqyra Nelson

I know. And that’s exactly why she should correct that. This is the same site that defends black trends from cultural appropriation by telling people to research. So I would expect that she would do some research before declaring something ‘new’ too.

$8319184
$8319184

Yep, this is not new at all, it is quite common place in our neck of the woods.