This Photo of Oprah Getting Her Hair Braided on a Stoop is Everything

Avatar • Aug 28, 2015

Raise your right hand if you can recall your childhood days of sitting between your Nana’s, Mommy’s, or Auntie’s legs while she greased your scalp, braided your hair, and laid your edges down good and proper.  Okay, put that hand down.

Now raise your left hand if this picture of Mama O doing just that gives you all the life you will ever need. Ever. Yes, indeed, Oprah, or as I like to call her, “The Queen Mother” sat down on the porch and let some cherished soul take a hold of her glorious natural mane, and pull it into a simple french braid that has many a black girl reminiscing the days of yore. We’re here for it and you should be, too.

1962914_1870932049798507_1408606221_n

It may have been a painful experience as a kid, but as adults I’m sure we can all appreciate the love that went into making sure our locks were properly maintained.

Share your childhood hair braiding memories in the comments below!

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

kxlot79
kxlot79

Oprah isn’t a natural… ?
Still nice hair though! ?

kalexa1
kalexa1

I agree. Plus there’s scant detail to read about too. Missed opportunity?

Sharlene
Sharlene

I’m fairly sure this is just a picture Oprah posted on her instagram. The only details available are from what Oprah provided.

kalexa1
kalexa1

Where’s the story?? Any details of the situation behind the pic’s? Who’s that doing her hair, what was the occasion/where/ .… anything?? Please give us more than speculation. Thanks!

Julie R Salazar
Julie R Salazar
Reply to  kalexa1

I agree kalexa, a story without details, is it really a story! My story, my great grandma took care of us while mom and dad worked, when it was hair day for my sisters and I it was get your hair washed then here she comes with the warm olive oil. She swore by this olive oil and it did keep our hair soft, moist and shinny until the next hair day. Miss her and the days I spent with my sisters!

J Katarina Castaneda
J Katarina Castaneda

I choke back tears of gratitude at memories of my now deceased great- grandmother braiding my hair. I am especially awed by the fact that she performed this beautiful ritual while laboring against the pain and stiffness of arthritis in her hands. I love you Mama!

maralondon
maralondon

Raising right hand now left. I often drive by this building near me where a lot of youth hang out and I sometimes see the females with the young males sat on the steps doing their hair. Love that image it makes me gush.

LondonGirl
LondonGirl

I echo that Oprah isn’t natural. Her hairstylist confirmed in a statement that she is lightly texturised. She has great hair so I don’t say that to attack her in anyway. However, it doesn’t take a lot to check your facts before publishing an article. Sloppy journalism…