CurlKit Gets Dragged on Instagram for Including Kardashian Hair Products in Their September Box

Avatar • Aug 31, 2015

Everybody and their cousin is trying to get a piece of the $2.7 billion black haircare industry, and as women with natural hair continue to make up a larger percentage of black hair consumers, it’s no surprise that both black and white-owned mainstream and multicultural hair superbrands like Soft-Sheen Carson, Creme of Nature, L’Oreal, Dove — heck, even Pink Lotion — are targeting naturals with products and advertising.

Apparently the Kardashians thought they could enter the field too, via a collaboration with CurlKit, a monthly natural haircare subscription box service. A few days before the big reveal, CurlKit’s email newsletter included this description of the September Curlkit.

By the way, this month we’ve got something to die for. You know we love bringing the hottest new brands on the market, so this time we joined forces with an EXTRA special celebrity partner to give you an exclusive product from her personal line.

Then on Saturday, CurlKit revealed the contents of the September CurlKit on their Instagram account, and their followers were NOT pleased.

CurlKit Kardashians

I guess Curlkit didn’t realize that most naturals don’t smoke the Kardashian crack that the rest of the country seems to be on, because the post received over 80 comments — before it was deleted — many of which chastised the brand for including products by women who very obviously do not wear their hair curly;

I was kinda excited about my September kit until I saw this posting. Not a fan and I don’t support the Kardashians. I will be giving this kit away. $25 wasted.”

I’ll pass. Definitely debating canceling.”

Curlkit has been FAVE subscription box. I’m not understanding this new direction at all. #disappointed.”

This is disgusting. Can we have ANYTHING?”

I udsually don’t comment but this is insulting @curlkit. An explanation of the logic used would definitely be in order.”

You can see more comments here:

As of yet, CurlKit has not provided a public explanation or an alternative to the September CurlKit box, but we received this exclusive comment from Heather Cummings, the Curlkit founder:

Curlkit’s mission is to introduce our subscribers to products for their natural hair without them having to pay the full price. We were introduced to the Kardashian Beauty Curl Defining Cream Gel by the brand owners, Farouk. They are also the manufacturers of Chi and BioSilk.  Our selection of this product was made the same as every other product and was based on the ingredients as well as testing by our team. The product contains no Sulphates, No Parabens and No Mineral Oils.
The Kardashian name had no bearing whatsoever on the final decision to include the product in our Kit. We hope our subscribers will be open to trying the product and see if it works for them.

Well — there you have it.

Do you think naturals should give the Kardashion Beauty products a try? Was Curlkit wrong for including it in their September box?

Sidenote: Can we get a Janelle Monae curated box though?? I’d pay for that.

About Klassy Kinks

KlassyKinks.com founder and editor, Ijeoma Eboh, is on a mission to change perceptions of kinky textured hair around the world. You can find her on social media @klassykinks.

Pocahontas45
Pocahontas45

Chil’ they must be cra you might be able to fool a men they with but a woman can smell your bullsh@ a mile away. Trying to dip your hands in black beauty industry not going to work

Elle P.
Elle P.

When I saw Curlkit’s September box on IG with the ‘Kar-trashians,’ I was taken aback by it. After all, there is nothing natural about them! Again like I commented in the last post about cultural appropriation, they are materialistic and capitalistic attention whores who think black men and culture is a hot commodity, a gold mine. I actually had an Onyx sub box over the summer but had to cancel it because it got pretty expensive. Maybe in the future I’ll start back up. That Janelle Monae for Curlkit idea sounds awesome though, I would get in on that!

Fix it
Fix it

There are LOTS of products that amazing product list…and are NOT represented by the Khards

I will stick to those 😉

lis
lis

L.M.A.O.…ooopps!

lis
lis

2.7 billion though?..All you need is a good conditioner, oil, shea or other butter…maybe a little aloe juice,glycerine. Black women could bankrupt so many people and industries…If only..

monkey
monkey
Reply to  lis

true, but black women will NEVER get it

briheybri
briheybri
Reply to  monkey

what the hell. The only thing black women will never get are the morons at make comments like yourself generalization

Guest
Guest
Reply to  lis

It says black hair care, that includes non-naturals as well.

Cosita
Cosita

I wouldn’t use their line because it’s loaded with silicones. I can understand people being put off by them not ever wearing curly hair and marketing a curl cream. However I don’t see anything wrong with subscription company including products that are not presented as made for “black” hair. Most of what works for me does not come from the ethnic aisle yet I was told for years I should only use black products. I get black people asking me about my hair and when I say my main product is Tresemme I get weird look. I think it’s good… Read more »

Staci Elle

Do you think naturals should give the Kardashion Beauty products a try?”

Everyone should stop buying anything associated with them so they can go away- just my opinion.

Tiffany
Tiffany

Why can’t CurlKit stick to supporting black owned businesses?

J.Nicole

Wow… won’t be surprised if they have lots of cancellations because if this. I can’t fathom why a company that’s dedicated to Black hair thought that would be a good idea.

Oh well, I’ll stick to Cocotique for now. It’s another Black owned subscription box and as long as they don’t pull the okey-doke, I’ll keep rocking with them.

Danielle
Danielle
Reply to  J.Nicole

I had no idea services like Curlkit and Cocotique even existed before I read this article. I just ordered my first Cocotique subscription — 3 months. I’m so excited — thank you for your post.
Oh, and no, after this gaffe I wouldn’t dream of signing up with Curlkit. Not until they come up with an “Apology Box.”

J.Nicole
Reply to  Danielle

You’re going to love it! I’ve been happy with everything so far and any faces on the box are of Black women!

Sithé Annette Ncube
Sithé Annette Ncube

I’ve always wanted to subscribe to CurlBox. If the ingredients are good I’d take it. People love to be dramatic but if I’m there for the products I wouldn’t get swayed by such.

Guest
Guest

They’re stupid. Know your target market–black women and the Kardashians do not mix. Now if their target market were black men, then it’d make sense, but it’s black women, so this tells me that this company does NOT KNOW their target market that well. As for the Kardashians, they need to wake up. The money train is about to come to an end. Their name no longer sells like it use to. Their brand is overexposed. It would have been better if their name or picture or likeness weren’t on the product at all. Then maybe some consumers would have given… Read more »

Giselle

when I saw the newsletter I was not pleased. I’m not of fan of the family and I don’t support them in any way

LaShon Renee

Yes, can we have a box curated by someone who is actually apart of the natural community and not just trying to make a quick dollar. Bad move Curlkit.

Elodie Careme
Elodie Careme

I am not familiar with this website. I had a look on their page and Twitter account and they seem to target the curly and kinky women from the African-American community. Why would they should the Kardashians as advocate of their brand ? Kardashians don’t even wear their hair curly but slightly wavy and most of the time straight. Then…the beauty of the natural community is that for many of us it’s not only about the hair it’s a whole new approach of who we are …what we eat, what we do, what we wear, what topic we are interested… Read more »

Dee
Dee

I would have demanded a refund.

Darla Jones
Darla Jones

Well, people are going to buy what they want, but as for me and my home. we don’t support the Kardashians.

Chrystani

But the Kardashians don’t even like black women though.….
If anything we should be marketing our secrets to them and making money off of those heffas.
Am I to believe that their serum is going to turn my kinky fro into a “tibetan, sacred belizean, indian, silky island, exotic human lace front closure, weft blah blah extension piece? Stop it.

EllieLo
EllieLo

.…the company honestly should’ve known better. The products could turn hair into perfect hair for days, but putting the Kardashian’s name on it? Do they think their demographic is made up of teenaged Kylie-stans? Haha, no. This was a big fail on their part.

They REALLY should’ve known better.….and did they take this post off their instagram? If so, that’s funny.