[Video] ‘Calling in Black to Work’: Vlogger Evelyn Hilariously Breaks Down the Toll of Police Brutality Coverage

Avatar • Jul 26, 2015

Evelyn from the Internets is known for her hilarious natural hair videos. But the vlogger recently used her comedic skills for an insightful take on the emotional toll of the 24/7 coverage of terrorism and police brutality against blacks. Check it out;

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

StraightShooter
StraightShooter

This is funny, but not funny at the same time. When Trayvon Martin was murdered that really touched me. I was 18/19 a freshman in college and really green. Every other time a Black person had been assaulted, harassed, or murdered I quickly found a justification for it. Probably a coping mechanism. I believed if I was the exceptional Black I wouldn’t have to worry about anything. When I read about Trayvon though, I couldn’t think of any excuse. He wasn’t bothering a white woman, or anything like that. He was minding his own business and some strange white man… Read more »

FreeTea
FreeTea

This was my experience, word for word. And I lost so many friendships after that happened. I couldn’t believe that people I thought were intelligent and cultured did so many mental gymnastics to defend Zimmerman.

I have taken off 5 days of work in the past 4 months because of the recurrence of these events.

cryssi
cryssi

What???? Okay, so this should be a real thing.…I totally called in undercover black, when all this foolishness originally started. I had a terrible cold in the middle of a hot summer.…it’s possible, even went and got a doctor’s excuse for said terrible cold.

Really I was tired of this bs and it had worn me down.

SheridaDaily

I laughed even before watching the video lol — love evelyn.
On a serious note, words don’t accurately convey how I’m feeling. There’s anger, frustration, tiresomeness and numbness. I don’t know.

ThickNigerianHair
ThickNigerianHair

Every time I watch the news or hear of this terrorism, I am emotionally drained. It is so draining that sometimes I try to ignore it and scroll away but I can’t (cause you know I’m Black, too). I wish this could be an official thing but in order for that to happen, the nation/corporate America would have to acknowledge the various facets of racism and prejudice and be willing work on them. And since we have a Black president, it is 2015, and no progress has been made, I will have to do like @disqus_h8olhBILbM:disqus and just catch a… Read more »

dedesantos
dedesantos

this is funny but sad at the same time lol

$7275329
$7275329

Another aspect is going to work and having to deal with hateful, ignorant, racist “commentary” from coworkers. It’s just adding salt to the wound and I know many of us wish we could call in.