This Video of Ciara Speaking Fluent Japanese is Awesome

Avatar • Jul 15, 2015

Ciara is an entertainer who has traveled the world, so it’s no surprise she knows other languages. But the fluency with which she speaks Japanese is pretty cool. In a short Instagram video the beautiful singer, who describes Japan in the caption as “one of my favorite places in the world”, shares that she can speak “a little Japanese” and proceeds to speak the language comfortably.

Any polyglots who can decipher this?

rosyashes
rosyashes

She says:
Konnichiwa. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu. Watashi (no) namae wa Ciara desu. Chotto nihongo (wo) hanashimasu.
Hello. Nice to meet you. My name is Ciara. I can speak Japanese a little.

Her American accent is very strong here lol. I’ve been living in Japan for six years.

Rydee
Rydee
Reply to  rosyashes

Yeah, I don’t study Japanese but I was about to say her accent is still pretty strong lol but I’m still down with people learning new languages!! Everyone should at least try to study a second language 🙂

Victoria Rideaux
Victoria Rideaux
Reply to  rosyashes

It really is. I couldn’t understand what she said after Konnichiwa at all. It’s also interesting that she enunciated the full ‑su in ‘desu’ but not ‘masu’. Good for her for learning other languages!

Tabatha
Tabatha

My husband was stationed in Japan for 3 so I learned a little myself. I had a blast learning the language because they are eager to teach you. My favorite word is lips. I fell out laughing when I was told what your lips are called which is a name that some people in the states call their lower lips (Kuchi). There is a school where I live in CA where they teach your child a new language and the further they progress in school years the less English they use when they teach because they want your child to… Read more »

Someone who learns Japanese
Someone who learns Japanese

Her pronounciation and accentations are a little off, but is rather admirable as not much people are willing to learn Japanese in the first place.

MalikaiDragonSlayer
MalikaiDragonSlayer

Well, the last sentence was literally “I speak a little Japanese.” I couldn’t really hear what she said between konichiwa and that.

PolkaDots
PolkaDots

How long did it take you to practice THAT OFF camera Ciara?

F00H.

ebonyhud
ebonyhud

Right! goodness. You would think their would be more love on this post lol

Sydney Daviston
Sydney Daviston

She did a really good job ;pp Not sure if I would call it fluent, but her pronunciation is really good/cute.

Sydney Daviston
Sydney Daviston

By the way she said; Hello, nice to meet you. My name is Ciara. I can speak a little Japanese.

Leila
Leila

Are we sure she didn’t simply learn this line for the video? Her accent is very off, so it sounds like someone who has memorized a line rather than someone who has learned and is comfortable with the language. Either way kudos to her for putting effort into speaking it at all.

kxlot79
kxlot79

She said “a little” Japanese. The article described it as “fluent.” I think some people are judging her a bit harshly.
I swear some people never learned the adage of: “If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
She’s an entertainer not a translator. So can we judge her skill according to how she describes it and not how others do?