Tamera Mowry-Housley Addresses Rude Comments on Why She Doesn’t Post Pics of Her Black Mother

Avatar • Jul 8, 2015

A few weeks ago actress, Tamera Mowry-Housely, posted a photo of her white father on Instagram with an endearing caption wishing him a “Happy Father’s Day.”

Within minutes, The Real talk-show host received comments asking why she didn’t show the same gratitude for her black mother on Mother’s Day. Someone even questioned if Tamara’s mother was “too black” for her. I’m assuming this was asked because Tamera rarely posts anything about her mother on social media and her mother also never appeared on their former reality television show, Tia and Tamera. I’ve also seen similar comments under Tia Mowry Hardict’s (Tamera’s twin sister) Instagram photos.

unnamed

unnamed

After receiving the rude comments Tamera, who usually doesn’t address negativity, decided that it was time to set the record straight with two commenters in particular. Apparently, the reason why Tamera and Tia don’t post pictures of their mother is because she hates being photographed. She also doesn’t want to be in the spotlight. In reality, Tamera and Tia just started posting pictures of their father on Instagram. Until this year, I’ve never seen him on either of their pages.

unnamed

FullSizeRender (2)

Tamera also addressed her marriage to white husband and Fox News reporter, Adam Housley. She has often been criticized for not being “black enough” and accused of not embracing her black roots. This has mostly to do with her white husband and the fact that he works for a news network that doesn’t seem to care for people of color. In her rant, Tamera told the negative commenters that you can love a white person and still love being black. She also said that she loves her mother’s chocolate brown skin and isn’t ashamed of her.

FullSizeRender

I’ll admit, I was a little surprised at Tamera going off. She usually is such beam of light with her smiling face and inspirational quotes. But everyone has a breaking point. While I don’t agree with how she addressed the commenters, I do think that she needed to say something. Perhaps calling people idiots and then saying they need Jesus all in the same breath wasn’t the route to go. But hey, we say a lot when we’ve had enough of nonsense.

FullSizeRender (1)

I’ve been following her for years now and these comments are not even the worst that I’ve read. Folks like to accuse her of rejecting her black roots because she married a white man, but did anyone stop and think that most women marry men who remind them of their father? I still don’t understand why it’s such a big deal that her husband is white. It’s 2015 and it’s not illegal to be with someone who isn’t of the same race.

What I do understand is why she doesn’t post photos of her mother. Tamera has said on The Real that she respects her mother and will not post pictures of her if that’s not what she wants. Sometimes people forget that celebrities’ Instagram accounts are public and seen by millions. It’s okay that her mother doesn’t want to be on display for the world. Tamera is not obligated to do anything as private as posting photos of family to appease complete strangers. She owes you nothing.

What do you think about Tamera Mowry Housely’s comments?

Guest
Guest

Wow! The comments from those 2 women were so uneccessary. Social media sometimes brings the worst out in people.

Chevanne

We forget that A LOT of people young and old are not keen on being on social media. There are people who won’t show their children’s faces (Zoe Saldana) or don’t like to be tagged in posted photos. We take for granted our own anonimity. Even the IG famous can still make a living without being hounded. Suggesting Tamera is not proud of her mother is a comment out of left field. Also, who she chose to marry is none of anyone’s business. You don’t know them as a couple.

good2bfree
good2bfree

I’ll bet the folks who came up with that term don’t know that themselves!

good2bfree
good2bfree

I don’t even have a pic of myself posted on social media.

Cosita
Cosita

shrug.why are they following her if they have an issue with what she does or doesn’t post? Personally I like the acting of the other sister better.I do remember on the Osbournes they made it clear on the show they had a daughter who didn’t want to be photographed so people knew why they didn’t see her on the show.

Chontaine Abraham
Chontaine Abraham

Good for her! Sometimes you gotta let it out. Im so glad she addressed those ignorant people directly.

Allura
Allura

They must not of seen Tia and Tamera’s show. They always hung out with the black cousin, and they spent a lot of time in the Bahamas with their family members. I think they’re just jealous haters.

Rose
Rose

How many ignorant comments should she have to deal with before its “ok” to snap back. She’s dealt with so much ignorant and straight up rasist bs on her Instagram page. I think she’s allowed to have a human reaction every once in a while dear…

Rose
Rose

Wait, wait, wait. How are they racist when they don’t own anything? You can call a black person bigoted, prejudice, hateful, ignorant, bias, angry, bitter but NOT racist . By no means am I defending them, but calling a black person racist is silly! Racism is a GROUP thing. People are racist if they stop you from acquiring an education, or owning a supermarket, or building a beauty supply store. They’re racist if they pass laws that prevent you from walking on a side-walk, and would hire their own, protect their own, and support their own. And in order to… Read more »

Dasia Johnson
Dasia Johnson
Reply to  Rose

Those may be examples of what racist people did in the past and maybe some are done now, but a black person can be just as racist as another race towards blacks. Racist is believing that one race is better or more superior than another. Just believing that whites are superior to blacks makes someone a racist even if they haven’t acted on that belief. Just because blacks were subjegated to these acts in the past does not excuse them from also being racist. As for blacks being leaders in the natural hair production business how exactly do you do… Read more »

Janae Townes
Janae Townes
Reply to  Dasia Johnson

No she is correct. Based on the history and definition of the word. Just because time has moved on, we don’t get to REWRITE history to make it politically correct.

PhillyBornSher
PhillyBornSher
Reply to  Dasia Johnson

I will buy the Shea Moisture all day long because my natural hair loves it, and also because we spend money on what we want to.

Tam
Tam

Funny how someone is antagonized and then we expect them to take “the high road”. If you’re able to do that more power to you but I feel she was very justified in her response. We all have a breaking point. Let this be an example to others to keep their asinine questions and unsolicited opinions to themselves.

Tam
Tam

Exactly! Celebrity or not some people just aren’t comfortable taking pics or being in a pic on display for others.

kaydenpat
kaydenpat

She needs to block those kind of followers. They obviously don’t like her anyways.

Amma Mama

Everyone has a breaking point, even the most positive people. She’s had to deal with a lot of crazy comments from social media. I am glad she spoke up for herself. I love me some Tamera.

Sophie
Sophie

No, the first poster passive-aggressively implied that she wasn’t valuing her mother as much as her father, and the second poster straight up accused her of being ashamed of her mother’s blackness. Maybe the first person just got caught up in her emotional response that the second person really incited, but it was an impolite and loaded question especially given the history of people challenging the pride of biracial people in their black heritage.

Chika
Chika

I don’t disagree with her addressing these people. She is a public figure and at some point , has to voice out her perspective on things. People, no matter how smart, start buying into certain mentalities that are continuously presented to them. She is a tv personality and should let her personality show every so often . Being an adult isn’t all about acting like we’re immune to everything because we know better. Sometimes, we should let people know they are going too far and also challenge their mindset. If it stings , oh well. If you can’t take it,… Read more »

Minka
Minka

What I don’t understand is why did the commenters instantly assumed that she was ashamed of her mother? I thought it was common sense to assume that her mother did not want to be in social media (probably because I am a private person myself). It’s not their business anyway. People can be so nosy nowadays as if they have an exclusive right to know EVERYTHING about celebrities’ lives. Everyone has a right to privacy even if they are famous (or relatives of famous people). People should already know this. Obviously, not everyone has the gift of common sense.

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

Funny…no one ever asks about the meaning of not being white enough. Just a general observation.

FreeTea
FreeTea
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Which White people get told that they’re not White enough? Another observation to ponder.

I don’t think that we will ever be truly free until we stop policing our own Blackness, no matter what gains we make as a community. Someone who is born to Black parent(s) and cannot pass for anything but Black should never have to prove their Black identity to anyone.

Tabatha
Tabatha

Good for her! You can date and marry whom ever you want. Just because the one that you love and are with possibly isn’t black doesn’t mean that you don’t like your roots. When I was dating I dated all sorts of dudes because they treated me best at the time. They liked me for me and I liked them for them color was not an issue for me. Now that I am married I married a half white and half black man. I love him very much, he just tickles my funny bone. I think those 2 rude ass… Read more »

Corelle Perry
Corelle Perry

I think we as a community will forever continue to nit pick and question blackness by how we talk, walk and how we look! It is so sad! Smh! By the delivery of Tamera’s response to the obscene comments, she have every right to express herself. She was angry and tired of comments like that. I watched her talk about how she was treated by some haters, when she married Adam Housley. She was literally in tears. It is always best to be kind but in this case the two young ladies needed to be shut down…an education perhaps…in internet… Read more »

Tatiana Lee
Tatiana Lee

That was extremely mild. I would have said worse.

Keanna
Keanna

Good for her. The ignorance of some people makes my skin crawl. Get a life/

Kate Western
Kate Western

It’s crazy isn’t it? A mixed woman with a WHITE father, and people are so insecure that they need her to represent black womanhood. Relax. She’s mixed. She married a white man like her white father. Deal with it. Massa’s racist One Drop Rule is not law anymore.

The Randomone
The Randomone
Reply to  Kate Western

The twins cal themselves black.

Kate Western
Kate Western
Reply to  The Randomone

Because of the racist One Drop Rule in AmurrriKKKa and the fact that black people have internalized it and cling on to it the most. It’s peculiar. But the fact of the matter is, they do not have 2 black parents– their white father brought them into this world as well. They are biracial.

JS
JS

What is wrong with people these days? When I first saw the title first thought came to my mind ‘Maybe the mother doesn’t like taking pictures’ (I know my mother doesn’t like taking pictures either), PEOPLE WHO DON’T LIKE TAKING PICTURES ACTUALLY EXIST! Sheesh, not everybody likes taking pictures or like being in a video or the center of attention. Just like not everybody likes the same style and so on, people are different. My sister also doesn’t like the camera because her reason is ‘it makes her look fat’, my point is that there are so many different reasons… Read more »

CC
CC

How can you have one white parent and one black parent and not be black/white? Logically and scientifically that makes no sense. Have you heard of DNA. Being bi-racial doesn’t make you a new species or race. WOW the ignorance is unsettling.

Brianna Nicolas
Brianna Nicolas
Reply to  CC

You are absolutley correct. Don’t let these butthurt people convince you otherwise. People need to start loving themselves. If you are biracial than you are that. Biracial. A black person is a person who has two black parents. A person who has 70+ sub-saharan african dna. We all need to accept ourselves as we are.

Durelene Francois
Durelene Francois

She is such a beautiful spirit it’s sad that she has to address so much negativity since she got married to white man. This is ridiculous. Love her.

Barbara Mitchell
Barbara Mitchell

Thank You!!! There is ONLY ONE race

Brianna Nicolas
Brianna Nicolas

No you just stereotyped yourself

terry
terry

putting up with what exactly?

bianca
bianca

No the we are not, if that’s the case whites wouldn’t dislike black people because of their skin so no we are no all one race.

columbr
columbr
Reply to  bianca

So I take it that you do not like Tamara because she is not black enough or white enough? You should not carry that kind of hate in your heart.

lala
lala

although i understand where you are coming from i dont think name calling is necessary. She has an opinion and she expressed it. If your going to comment then you should comment intelligent.

NA
NA

Beg to differ. Everything is about race and money. Sad as it is but it“s a fact!!!!

Bullshit Detective
Bullshit Detective

Personally I don’t like her that much. Before I get slandered hear me out. I am a spiritual person who goes off of vibes and her vibe just feels so fake and put on, I can’t put my finger on it. As for the comments they were unnecessary and part of the reason why there’s still a stigma around dating someone who isn’t of your race.

It’s 2016

Get over it.

Renee QueenBee Murdock
Renee QueenBee Murdock

Everyone should stay in their lane. Neither one of the twins make an impact on your life. I don’t blame her for getting upset. None of this is your business or your life. I often wondered about their parents, but I did not go on social media with questions because it was not that serious. It is human nature to wonder about people and life, but to criticize and imply things about peoples lives is not cool. Further more do yo think anybody or for that matter either one of the Mowry twins care if you like them or not.… Read more »

cryssi
cryssi

Go girl!

cfon
cfon

I can certainly understand why she doesn’t post pics of her mom at her mom’s request, because my husband has told me never to post a pic of him on any social media outlets. I respect that and do not post any of him anywhere. So I totally understand.

Desrene Johnson
Desrene Johnson

As the Bible said you can express yourself but don’t sin, she didn’t sin, she didn’t call them a fool which would be a sin, even Jesus when He walks earth cuss out the pharisees and called them foxes and white wash cepulchor so tamera who is flesh and blood can say what’s on her mind, I respect how she addresses the situation, these people who hang out on social media just to criticise other people need to seek God and stop being negative, God is not racist He loves black and white because He created us all and He… Read more »

jeana Buckner

That is so true GOD is our creator and he doesn’t love anyone more than the other he LOVES ALL the SAME. That is why he made us all different for a reason if anyone has a problem with it then they can talk to GOD their judgement day.

Pennylane22
Pennylane22

She was doing TOO MUCH with this response. First of all, one commenter did not make an ignorant racist remark. She simply asked why she did not post a pic of her mom. The other one, yes that was straight ignorance. Secondly, WHY do this. It solves nothing and makes her look worse for responding and actually gives life to a comment that would have fallen by the wayside. Take the High Road.

Stacie
Stacie

Had no idea her husband worked for fox X__X;

Olivia Nzeh
Olivia Nzeh

I really can’t blame her..we all have our limits..i guess she had hers..and people need to stop talking stupid and sounding racist…it’s no ones business if she married a white or pink or purple man..she found love and is happy with him…they should stop hatting and get a life..too much ghetto incorrect english, no one wanna get civilized and educated.…“she too black for you?” yeah rite…get educated and have a life child.

Rachel
Rachel

Had to be done. Standing ovation for her.

LexVex
LexVex

?????? Go Tamera, lemme know that their stupid comments are irrelevant. My mom is the same way, hates taking pictures and she extremely hates me posting them of her. Gotta respect what mom wants.

jeana Buckner
Reply to  LexVex

So true we have to respect anyone who doesn’t want their picture posted only out of respect.

Anonin
Anonin

I think her comments were fine. If someone comes at you (and not the other way) then you can reply however you want. It’s not her responsibility to be polite in the face of rudeness.

I think those kind of expectations cause people to overload and social ineptness to be left unchecked.

3rdXstheCharm
3rdXstheCharm

Good for her!

Retired mamma.
Retired mamma.

What does not being black enough mean anyway?

jjac401
jjac401

I love how Tamara checked folks!

Elodie Careme
Elodie Careme

Well..what I don’t understand is why she has to prove her blackness. She is not black meaning she is genetically half white half black and culturally as well she is 50/50…Is it fair to ask to a mixed-race to embrace black culture 100% and forget about the other side of her culture and totally deny her dad (in this case) ? I think mixer-race should be allowed to embrace whatever culture they feel closer to…and not appear as traitor because they don’t est soul food, their favorite actress is Scarlett Johansson and not Viola Davis etc etc. Actually everybody should… Read more »

EP
EP
Reply to  Elodie Careme

I agree. a mixed race person is not the same to me as someone who has two black parents. I don’t believe in the one drop rule. Tamera is just as much white as she is black.

Ivie9ja
Ivie9ja

People today are so nosey and entitled smh how is it anyone’s business? Really?

$7275329
$7275329

My first thought was that her mom is very private because I am the same way. If they were hoping to see pics of her mom, there’s google for that and anyway, there are nicer ways to bring the point up.

That comment by bunnylovelove was projecting a bit.

ughhh
ughhh

i support her response 100%. people are so stupid and rude nowadays its disgusting. The audacity. how can you judge somebody based of instagram. like they really tried it. i’m glad she fired back. people can be soooooo senseless sometimes my God.

Ruth
Ruth

I can understand her not posting pics of her mom. I don’t post pics of my children on social media for the public or even friends viewing. If you know them, then you’ll see them in person. If not, then they’re absolutely none of your business. All I know is that she is as Black as she’s ever will be, it’s not something she can change or had any control over anyway. I’m sorry she had to go through being harassed for simply being what God made her to be.

TexturedTalk

Good for her! People are so quick to judge, especially celebrities, when we have ZERO idea of their lives or who they REALLY are. I’m suprised she snapped back too but a person can only take so much like you said.

caty
caty

Yay. Lol I’m happy that she stood her ground. She’s so sweet & soft spoken, they took advantage of that. Who cares how she went off, sometimes killing with kindness don’t work. They disrespected her, they can handle a lil disrespect.

Phoxxie
Phoxxie

I could tell she was mad by the way she was typing. She has a right to respond how she feels. They came for her regarding her family.

Elodie Careme
Elodie Careme

oldfatmotherfucker
oldfatmotherfucker

But nobody bats an eyelash at the fact that black men are marrying white women all over the place. Nobody questions whether or not Kanye West loves his blackness, even though he is married to a non black woman. It’s annoying and unfair. Black women need to stop putting up with it.

um
um

But, she isnt Black, she is mixed. Mixed people arent Black, and they arent white either. So I dunno why people stress about mixed people. Let them deal with their problems being mixed.

itimpusa
Reply to  um

Wow, fuck you. Who are you to deny anyone’s ethnicity? I am black and I am filipina. I am both and I’ll be damned if any nitwit piece of shit like your pahetic ass is gonna deny me my heritage and culture. And mixed isn’t limited to having one white parent and one black parent. Fucking idiot. I’d encourage you to educate your stupid fucking self, but you should probably just go drink a whole gallon of bleach instead.

PhillyBornSher
PhillyBornSher

Actually if you go to Adams page he has a picture that was taken the same day as the fathers day picture that captures their mom in the background seated with them at the game, a selfie where mommy got caught in the pic. My hubby is private like that so I get it about her mom and social media.

Treacle234
Treacle234

Tamera needs to learn to quit feeding the trolls. All she had to say was, my mom is a private person.end of story and not write a 2 page essay answering people like that. In life you cannot let ignorant comments bring out your bad side.

CC
CC

My mom is like that and i have like 150 followers and she knows 98% of them. So with her millions of followers i can get why her mother doesn’t want her picture up on her kids IG’s. It’s a shame us black people cannot just have love for each other. Those two people feed into the the stereotype us black women face is that we are bitter, angry, unhappy, hattin’ (yes hattin’), nagging bi*&$es. STOP black women we must do better.

Stephine Griffith
Stephine Griffith

Not everything is about race, you need to look in every corner before you come up with negative critics

coodyscoops
coodyscoops

yasssssssss Tamera, she handled that perfect imo. people need to know that there is no such thing as being to “black” or “not being black enough”. I feel that anyone who uses the term “black” in general, shouldn’t have the right to talk about being African American and are what i like to call “race hypists”. Being that she is a celebrity, she has a right to privacy as much as the next person, if not more. Her fame can make her a target at anytime and she does not need people using her family as a reason. That’s what… Read more »

Kwan
Kwan

Wait, Adam is a host for Fox News.…ewwww side eye to the whole household on that one lol. However I thought it was common sense a lot of older people do not want their faces plastered all over social media. My dad is the same way and only allows me to put pictures up that he likes. If either of them watched their reality show they would see they actively took a trip to Jamaica to meet their mother’s side of the family and they’ve always embraced their blackness with open arms. They are mixed Black (Jamaican ethnicity) and White… Read more »

Lolalao
Lolalao

She did marry someone of the same Race. She’s human and he’s human. She married someone half of her ethnicity. That’s what’s wrong with people. We’re all the same Race!

dj
dj

I think Tamera and Adam handle this moronic black/white thing very nicely — and when people start looking at EVERYONE as a person then we will be a much happier country. The most of us are humans with a few animals mixed in but color should be a NON-ISSUE as long as you act human.
Some people just cannot grow up enough and this race baiting needs to stop as the only race is HUMAN…

Ginagee
Ginagee

You go Tamera you are awesome your husband is awesome your babies are awsome and I’m sure that your parents are awsome and to all you negative people ya’ll are just haters get a life.

steffy gilliam
steffy gilliam

its a shame ..maybe the twins mom need to be address„,she may be a shame that all her children turned out light and she remain the darkest of the family.…and the fact that you kicked in defense mode shows just that…

Gwen
Gwen

She needs to do a spell check before she post a reply.….SMH.

Bernice
Bernice

Haters always have to run their mouth based on their own insecurities

Liz
Liz

I think these 2 woman are a class act raised by 2 wonderful parents..they were raised im sure with both cultures and not in a racist environment.this woman and man made 4 beautiful children out of love not of there skin color how beautiful is that.they have the best of both worlds.always liked you girls ignorance.and negativity needs to be left to the people that have no clue.as for the entire picture thing thats done out of respect for there mothers wishes and they can enjoy both sides of there culture there the lucky ones.so hop off.js

jeana Buckner

In my opioion GOD don’t see color he sees us as his children and the childrens song Jesus Loves the little children talks about color and loving the children of the world and there are ALOT of people who don’t want their pictures taken or posted or media for Personal reasons BUT no matter. what if there is GOD and LOVE that is all that matters.

Msim2real
Msim2real

smh exactly sometimes as PARENTS we don’t like to be displayed all over the net…WE ARE PICKY about our pics lol YOU ARE SO RIGHT TAMERA that was inconsiderate and ignorant… WHY WOULD PEOPLE ASSUME THE WORSE. Those are their hang-ups and issues that they obviously have with themselves. Please, continue to ignore the ignorance because there is a lot of it…especially now…in the day of “IGNORANCE IS BLISS” hence why we have the current president smh

trackback

[…] – Tia was called out for only posting her White Dad (pictured below) on Instagram, but not her Mother. Source […]

trackback

Steffy
Steffy

Ok so I read this article not only did it blow me away! It made me cry!how have our ppl gone full circle like this? When I was a kid racism was a minority! Now here we are tback to black vs white! Really? I’m very white so some may think what I have to say don’t mean anything, but I’m gonna say it anyway! I was raised on MLK’s dream! Where we “judge people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character!” So the Mowry kids are mixed! So what! So their mother… Read more »

Bee
Bee

I believe that Tamers loves. Both parents equally . So what’s the problem some folks don’t want to be photographed .