Keke Palmer Explains Why Her Hair is Half Natural, Half Relaxed

Avatar • Jul 13, 2015

Keke Palmer has always been vocal about the fact that her hair is natural. The gorgeous actress has taken to Instagram on more than one occasion to show off her adorable fro. Recently she talked to Essence about her hair, and spoke somewhat regretfully about her need to relax the back of her hair to maintain certain styles;

ESSENCE.com: Is your hair relaxed now?
Palmer: Yeah, I do have to have one in the back of my head. I can’t grip it with a flat iron, so I have to relax that part of my hair. I was definitely scared at first, because you have to really pay attention to your hair. I don’t relax the top part, because [relaxers] make my hair very, very flat, and I actually like texture to my hair. I like leaving the top part of my hair natural because it leaves more flexibility.
ESSENCE.com: What’s your preference? Relaxer, or no relaxer?
Palmer: My preference would be to have no relaxer, but it’s just impossible with this hairstyle. For the type of style I want, I need to relax it more to get my hair straighter in the back for my hairstyle.

I’m not exactly sure the hairstyle that Keke is referring to, but she has been rocking this look on Instagram;

A while back we discussed whether or not it is realistic to expect natural celebrities to have healthy, natural hair. Many are expected to put in a weave or straighten their hair at the drop of a hat if it is required for a role or performance. But perhaps more natural celebrities should take the position of Tracee Ellis Ross, who has gone on record saying that her natural hair is non-negotiable.

I’m very conscious of how I wear my hair on the show, and yet it’s the way I wear my hair as Tracee. You hire me, you hire my hair and you hire my ass. It’s all coming with me.”

Yaaas Tracee!

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

sanjidude
sanjidude

[Sigh] I’m sure straight haired people do not have this much drama at work over their locks. Whether their hair is short or long, they will just throw a wig on it and be done. No one ever asks them “Gee, do you prefer your hair straight or in a curly perm?”. Know why? Cause it’s NEVER in a curly perm! They keep their hair as God intended and hit it up with a flat iron to make it super straight. If one prefers their hair unnaturally flat and straight, I wish they would just say so instead of coming… Read more »

SheDidThat
SheDidThat

Can We talk about someone else other than tracee? A celebrity with a kinky texture who’s rocking their own natural hair?

Leila
Leila
Reply to  SheDidThat

You mean ones that actually wear it in the shows their in? The only ones that come to mind are child actors: Skai Jackson and Riele Downs

Cathy0001
Cathy0001
Reply to  Leila

Astrid in Fringe, Jenny in Sleepy Hollow, Jane in Glee
(old shows that coincidentaly were all on Fox)

Bunny Marie
Bunny Marie
Reply to  SheDidThat

Exactly! I hate when they do that, they will use an example like Tracee who has more of a curly/manageable texture to discuss natural hair topics!!!

cryssi
cryssi
Reply to  SheDidThat

Like my imaginary godmother Viola David??? Love her!

CHL
CHL
Reply to  SheDidThat

Lupita Nyong’o (although she’s only been in two films so far, I have a feeling her natural hair is an aesthetic with her hollywood image to non-poc so no one in the entertainment industry is gonna make her change it).

mscoleman1991
mscoleman1991

Its her choice.

Bunny Marie
Bunny Marie

Its honestly easy for Tracee to say that because her hair is curly and not kinky! I’m so tired of ppl who have curly hair speak as if they have kinky(4a, b, and c) hair! It’s really annoying, I have 4C hair and its a lot of work. If I had curly hair like Tracee, I probably wouldn’t mind wearing my real hair all the time in its natural form.

elizisland
elizisland

I really like Tracee Ellis Ross, but to be fair, she grew up with money and when you’re trying to be an actress, a BLACK actress at that, and make a living at it, it is very difficult to have that type of attitude when it comes to your hair. Some of these up and coming actors don’t have the financial freedom to say, “If they make me change my hair, I’m not taking this job.” Also, like Brandy stated, being an actor requires versatility and sometimes that means changing your hairstyle to suit a character you’ve been cast to play.

Chris
Chris

You spelled your fake godmother’s name wrong…

Simmy
Simmy

Whatever Keke was talking about — Pure D Foolishness!! What Tracee said — all day everyday!

cryssi
cryssi

Umm okay, I don’t get it.…but girl, do you

Lv
Lv
Reply to  cryssi

I don’t get either. I love looking at healthy natural and or relaxed hair on the net. This site is one of my favorites. However, stories re the celebrity hair is my least favorite topics. I’m glad you don’t do them often. Leave that to essence and ebony, Stick to the real deal healthy haired girls you often spotlight. Half relaxed/half natural—eww!what?

Cheri
Cheri

It’s too bad she feels she has to relax half of her head of hair in order to wear a specific hairstyle. Hairstyles come and go. What happens when she tires of the style she sacrificed a portion of her natural hair for? Oh well, to each her own…

August Nana Yaa
August Nana Yaa
Reply to  Cheri

well said

Tracu
Tracu
Reply to  Cheri

She has a tApered cut and that’s why she relaxes the back. If you’ve ever had a short cut you know it always looks best when the sides are laid. Check the pics of her prixie cut and you’ll see what she’s referring to. It’s not the weave that’s posted here.

Yabbyrella
Yabbyrella

It’s her hair, so I can’t say I have any thoughts. Whatever regimen works best for her and her lifestyle is entirely up to her.

Queen Tori
Queen Tori

She probably had the short hair cut she was rockin at the time the interview was done.

AfricanAmy
AfricanAmy

I don’t get it either.
When I go for something intentionally, I’m all in. It’d be great if more women wore there natural hair more often (even if they flat ironed it sometimes). It would be more acceptable & “normal” if more people just went for it. Viola manages. Wig it when needed 🙂

Leila
Leila

I can’t grip it with a flat iron, so I have to relax that part of my hair.”
I think it’s common sense to assume this interview was done when she was rocking her short hair style.

(Soure: Livethecutlife.com)