Eyebrows on Fleek: Why Henna for Your Brows is the Next Big Thing

Avatar • Jul 1, 2015
Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 7.16.08 AM

Instagram: Metier_Val_Ross

Henna for Eyebrows? Yes, it’s not just for your hair growing from your scalp anymore. For those of you that may have sparse eyebrows, Henna tinting is a process that allows you to go without having to fill them in with brow pencils and shadows for weeks!

The process is relatively similar to a henna tattoo application. Your brow tech will clean and shape your eyebrows as usual or you can come with your eyebrows previously arched. Then your henna color is assessed. Henna comes in various shades and based on your hair color, your tech will choose a shade that looks most natural for you. (You don’t want hair that is too dark! You risk the chance of appearing too dramatic almost as if you drew on brows with black ink)

The brow tech will then apply vaseline or another oil-based product to keep the Henna from staining your skin. Now the fun part- the henna application. The henna is applied to your brows in your desired shape.

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 7.06.04 AM

Upon first glance you might think the henna is super dark but don’t fear, it will be wiped off to reveal your new shape.

The length of the henna brow tint depends on both the color of the henna and how often you wash your eyebrows.

Take a look at some of these amazing results by Texas cosmetologist Val Ross:

So do you think henna tint is something you’d try on your brows?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

Donna Jo
Donna Jo

Can you list places that do this service this in NYC?

BGLHRinny
BGLHRinny

but…

Sharon Hughes
Sharon Hughes

i would definitely try this but we are always last to get anything in LA

Deborah Jordan-Prince
Deborah Jordan-Prince

Where in NYC is this done?

bumper
bumper

They have been doing this in the UK for some time, but I am not a fan of the effect as I prefer the ‘subtle’ look.

meredila
meredila

bring this to Botswana! LOL my eyebrows are non-existent!

sanjidude
sanjidude

I must be the only one out here who hates this robo brow look. They’re so over arched and drawn in looking! Not loving this, but I know someone who is LOL…

Ebony Johnson (The Natural Exp

It looks dark but that is probably because she is using indigo. It depends on what color you want your brows to be. I like it and I might look into getting it

Jv
Jv

I use it and I love it because it looks so natural

Yaya
Yaya

I just got mine done yesterday for the first time and I love it! At first I thought they were to dark, but after a few minutes it grew on me. It cost $25 to have them done and the tech said it should last for two weeks. I’m hoping so, cause this is yet another beauty routine that I will be adding to my list! So happy I don’t have to fill my eyebrows in anymore.

Yaya
Yaya

I live in Silver Spring, Md. If you feel like hoping on metro, a salon named Eterna in Wheaton Mall does them for $25. I highly recommend! My eyebrows are currently on 100!

sandra
sandra
Reply to  Yaya

They do henna eyebrow tinting there? Also was a speciific person you went to?

Yaya
Yaya
Reply to  sandra

Yes ma’am! A guy did mine. I didn’t get his name though

sandra
sandra
Reply to  Yaya

thank you! about to give them a call now!

Yaya
Yaya
Reply to  sandra

Got them done again today. A lady did them. Still didn’t get a name, but I suspect that everyone there does them about the same.

Madeline Flottemesch
Madeline Flottemesch

when you have this done on your hair does the stylist use a heat lamp to dry?

Joanna
Joanna

I doubt tgat this is henna because its stain is just waaay too black and henna only stains orange and dark burgundy/brown/red at the darkest. If this technic does work though it would only be for lighter skin tones, for darker skin tones like myself not really. If fact, I use henna as a face mask once a week for its amazing properties and also as a natural “self bronzer”. It gives me an incredible glow, I get people asking what BB cream I use when I have nothing on.

Elle Kors
Elle Kors

I would love to try this! I wonder can I find someone in DC?

kxlot79
kxlot79

Definitely! I already use it on my hair and I love it! ?

Mghoi
Mghoi

On a very light note: Sooo, women in East Africa (and maybe other parts of Africa as well) have been using henna on their eyebrows for a while now. Does the fact that the author doesn’t mention this yet calls the process “the next big thing” mean its cultural appropriation? Things that make you go hmmm…

$7275329
$7275329
Reply to  Mghoi

c’mon son

ammoniums
ammoniums

women have been doing this here in Nigeria for at least 6 years (based on how far back I can remember) so its not a new thing for me, in fact its a dropped trend, they even used to make a small dot above the upper lips with it, some people still do it.

cryssi
cryssi

Me and my mom have been doing this for years with Bigen.…

Niesha
Niesha

I really want to try this, but I’m scared it will be tooo dark and I will look like a clown..

Desya_beloved
Desya_beloved

That is NOT henna! Henna is NOT black should have NO chemical characteristics. This looks like PPD hair dye, is not natural and is not safe for the eyes.

AnnelliDAREAL
AnnelliDAREAL
Reply to  Desya_beloved

I said the same thing — at least to myself.….Lol!

Desya_beloved
Desya_beloved

Henna is NEVER black. This is NOT henna. http://hennalounge.com/resources/black-henna/

SHL
SHL

Henna powder is green in its pre mixed state and a dark green paste when it is mixed. Henna does not come in variations of colour. If it is black it is not henna. Please research reaction to black henna tattoo’s online before you go for this treatment. Eyebrow tinting can be done safely with hair dyes that are meant for the skin and hair on the face. Using an unknown substance to tint your eyebrows can lead to severe allergic reactions. Be safe and research this before you try it.