Attendees Appalled at Skin Whitening Vendor at UK Black Beauty Conference

Avatar • Jun 2, 2015

26_skinlight_w--(None)_LRG

So, I don’t know who was in charge of approving vendors for UK’s Afro-Hair and Beauty Live conference, but they messed up. Attendees at the conference, which showcases African and Caribbean stylists, fashion designers and beauty products, were appalled to find that one of the featured vendors was a skin whitening company. Skin Light Plus is an Italian based company that sells bleaching scrub soap and whitening body lotions. Attendee Hanna Huffi spoke out;

I think it’s very wrong to be at this kind of event to have skin lightening cream at a black beauty event.

As for Afro-Hair and Beauty Live organizers, they claim that Skin Light Plus approached them as a cosmetics company, so they approved the application. Although, I mean, the name kind of exactly explains what they do… An Afro-Hair and Beauty Live representative released the following statement;

AHB Live must accept responsibility and apologise to those who felt offended by this product line.

But here’s the very sad and ironic twist. Skin Light Plus products are stocked in many UK black beauty supply stores. *Sigh*

Ladies, what are your thoughts on all this?

naomi mba
naomi mba

let’s be real, 95% of black women use this kind of product for many reasons. What is the purpose of attacking the industry if the problem is still there? if it was a white people issue I am sure they would be trying to find out a safe way of applying these creams, the psychological, biological and social implications behind instead of trying to deny the true. Black we need to start understanding our own mental cognitions before banning products, hair styles, and social conducts

Camille
Camille
Reply to  naomi mba

I agree. I wish it weren’t called bleach cream or focused on whiteness, but there isn’t a big difference between that and products that are meant to even out skin tone. I live in Texas, and most skin creams that are in Spanish (Ponds etc.) have skin lighteners in them. Mexican women also are trying to even out their tone.

Reply to  naomi mba

Hum…altho I agree with your general argument, I think you generalize excessively when you say that 95% of black women use these products…I think the use of lightning cream varies from country to country and I know the use of lightning cream is taboo, no one will brag about it, but it’s very extreme to say that 95% of black women use them! …So careful with the generalization.

Reply to  naomi mba

or maybe i misunderstood your comment…

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  naomi mba

95%, seems like a number you just pulled out of nowhere. Also, what ethnic group are you referring to because this certainly isn’t a Black American issue?

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  naomi mba

95%? I grew up around many female relatives and I have never seen any one of them use a bleaching cream or mention it.

Lou Bee
Lou Bee
Reply to  naomi mba

95% is quite a randomised and generalised figure in consideration of the entire world. The World Health Organization, (WHO), gives statistics and research on this topic. And as for the vendors at the Afro Hair and Beauty Show, they are always there, nothing new. As much as it may be annoying and contradictory, unfortunately, business is just business, although, I saw that stall there and I did not see anyone purchase any products, although in my opinion, does not justify their attendance. Why feed into it? All we can do as humans is to continue to teach and publicise the medical,… Read more »

Beatrix
Beatrix
Reply to  naomi mba

There is great irony of pushing skin bleaching products at an event celebrating black beauty. The vendors were either incredibly uninformed or ridiculously bold. It’s like selling tanning lotion or butt implants at a white supremacist meeting.

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly

One Question…

How much did they sell???

If there was no demand for it, then no one produce this skin lightening trash; yet, here it is.

I shop at an African-owned hair supply store here in my province, and there is more skin bleaching cream than any other product in the store…let’s take a few moments to reflect upon that instead of getting angry at some event host and its vendor.

maralondon
maralondon

It was about 20 years ago that I last visited this show. I stopped visiting(as a natural haired female) due to the awful smell of straightening creams and little girls parading around, showcasing their freshly relaxed hair styles. In my opinion it was a sad sight. It hardly surprises me that this company was at the show selling their products. It would be interesting to know how much stock flew off their stall.

Efuru
Efuru

Have these people never been to the Afro Hair and Beauty show before? The Bleaching cream stall has ALWAYS been there (last time I went, Fair & Lovely was the vendor), complaining about it now is a little weird.