#AskRachel is Black Twitter’s Hilarious Response to the Rachel Dolezal Controversy

Avatar • Jun 12, 2015

News broke yesterday about Rachel Dolezal, the white NAACP chapter president and Africana studies professor who has passed for a black woman for a decade (and still insists that she is.) It was only a matter of time before Black Twitter blessed us with a hilarious take on this stranger-than-fiction situation. #AskRachel is full of black pop culture trivia that would presumably be posed to Dolezal to test her self-proclaimed blackness. Check out the tweets that had us dying…

And we’re dead…

You can see the full #AskRachel thread here.

Some people are characterizing the #AskRachel feed as bullying, and while some of the Rachel Dolezal memes and jokes circulating are very mean-spirited, we find the #AskRachel thread to be a lighthearted take on a very bizarre situation. What are your thoughts?

Shar Lynnette
Shar Lynnette

I think it is funny as hell!!!!! I promise it’s times like these that make me so happy to be black, nothing is as fun and nobody is as entertaining. It’s how we get through all of our struggles. I think it’s light and playful. Black Twitter usually goes in and will DRAGGGGGG that A**, but I thought this was a much more light response than we usually take.

mummy21
mummy21

It’s bullying. Leave the woman alone.

Staci Elle
Reply to  mummy21

She would tell her black female students they wernt black enough. Shes a damn bully- worry about that ummkay.

Maya
Maya

Rachel is dishonest, she very likely has some kind of neurosis or obsession with black people. She’s a pathological liar. She has committed the highest form of cultural approriation, she used white privilege and light skin privilege to accomplish her own agenda. She got money and praise from our community walking around in black face and even used black kids to support her blackface…black lives matter right? She fooled us all and hurted so many people. Se could have supported our community without being an impostor. She needs to face the consequences of her actions…the rejection of the black community.… Read more »

our people
our people
Reply to  Maya

not a thing is going to happen to this woman…hell the NAACP chapter is supporting her

Guest
Guest

Im a black woman and I don’t even know all of those answers, I think its light-hearted fun.

Sophie
Sophie

These are quite funny, but I feel a bit sorry for this lady. She seems to be suffering from a delusion because she’s tried to be helpful as a “black woman” but is ridiculously stubborn about the lies she’s spun and had no right making those claims. Something is not right with her.

Ziggy ThePiggy
Ziggy ThePiggy

Haha It’s not bullying its just a little ribbing.

Something the black community has been doing for generations! It’s apart of our coping mechanism.

Yolanda
Yolanda

I’m not down for bullying, negative stereotypes, or mean spirited “jokes” but I thought this was lighthearted. They all made me giggle and I tried to answer each one all the while smiling 🙂

FreeTea
FreeTea

I don’t feel like this is bullying–she may actually know the answers to these questions if she’s appropriated as much as we think she has. That being said, it was nice to have bell laughs about the little universal quirks of our culture 🙂

Kim
Kim

I don’t get it.

getaclue
getaclue
Reply to  Kim

Oh Lordt.…

Bromley.laurae@gmail.com
Bromley.laurae@gmail.com
Reply to  Kim

I know you don’t… Rachel…

Elaina
Elaina

Lol Bromley

DrSelina
DrSelina

I am CRACKING UP!

MalikaiDragonSlayer
MalikaiDragonSlayer

The answer for the third one from the bottom is not any of those options.

Elaina
Elaina

I’m with you on that one Malikai, none of those choices looked quite right to me either.

MalikaiDragonSlayer
MalikaiDragonSlayer
Reply to  Elaina

Actually I realized that the F apparently stands for a lot of things. I was personally thinking about his line in “Miss Me” by Drake in which the F stands for front door. I know that C is also right.

Annie
Annie

I died at the “Flick of the Wrist”

Elaina
Elaina

I was really answering those questions for real, like I’m taking a pop quiz to make sure I’m really Black. Lol.

Staci Elle

Ha! this was funny.

I will not feel sorry for a ww who posed as black, made up hate crimes, mistreated her black female students, took scholarships that were meant for black people. She is a sociopath and she should feel alll of the fire Black people have to offer her lyin ass.