The undefined afro became popular amongst the African American community during the 1960s and hasn’t been as popular since. The hairstyle, which was banned from Cuba during the 1960s, truly makes a statement and lets people know when you’ve walked into a room. Today, we see afros but most are coiled, curled, or twisted.
Most seem to chase the perfect curl when they return to natural by buying creams, gels and puddings – not afro picks. Perhaps it’s because the afros that Angela Davis and Pam Grier used to wear may be considered too retro by today’s standards. Maybe the domelike hairstyle is too hard to maintain daily. Whatever the case may be for its absence, it’s certainly uplifting to see the rare undefined, picked out, afro walking down the street. Yes, we do have a few celebrities like Quest Love and Lauryn Hill still rocking the fro, but we rarely see everyday people wearing the once popular and political hair style that took over the sixties.
I took it upon myself to do a bit of research on Instagram to see just how many undefined afros I could scrounge up. Surprisingly, I found quite a few, but I didn’t find nearly as many picked out fros as I did curly ones. However, there are still some women who embrace the afro and wear it proudly. Take a look at these stunning undefined natural afros.
1. This Diva is definitely fierce with her massive afro.
2. Who says afros can’t be sexy?
3. Her naturally grey fro is taking no prisoners!
4. Chunky, undefined natural red afro? Yes, please!
5. A perfect pout for the perfect fro.
6. A fierce side part on this afro is all that’s needed.
7. Retro Afros — Like mother, like daughter.
8. This larger than life afro is truly giving us life!
9. Vibrantly red, undefined and unbothered.
10. This carefree cutie is definitely enjoying her adorable black afro.
11. An electric blue afro never hurt a soul.
12. This fabulous afro needed its own moment.
13. This beauty may need to give some lessons on how to achieve a perfect afro puff.
14. Althogh this is the well-known model, Naomi Campbell, she is doing the faux undefined fro justice!
15. An asymmetrical afro that’s quirky and unique.
16. When your sister understands your natural hair journey, that’s priceless.
17. True 60s inspirtation.
18. This beauty is serene with her afro blowing in the wind.
Do you prefer to wear your hair undefined?