Say What?! $50 Walk-In Weave Shop in ATL Made $1.2 Mil Last Year

Avatar • May 10, 2015

Maja Sly is a businesswoman and proprietor of Weave Express- Home of the $50 Walk-in Hair Weave straight out of Atlanta, GA. She is also now one of the stars of the new hair-centric reality TV show, Cutting It: In the ATL.

Weave Express has managed to expand over six locations and Sly says her business profited $1.2 million last year. Outside of her brick and mortar business, Sly sells hair through her The Pretty Hair website and aims to help the rest of the industry ladies become millionaires by purchasing hair weaves in bulk.

The series debuts on WeTV Thursday, May 21. Check out the trailer below:

What do you think of the concept of a $50 walk-in-weave? And will you be watching the show?

PollyWally
PollyWally

Good for them. It’s a black owned business. Why hate?

LBell
LBell

I can hear the voiceover now: “Black women are all about the hair. They want to be beautiful. Everybody wants that long silky white girl swang. If you can’t grow it, you can buy it for $50.” Yeah, um, no.

ETA: I watched the promo and I see that there will be some natural hair representation. Okay. Still not planning to watch it.

JenniD
JenniD
Reply to  LBell

Yea weave mania is becoming a bit much. A better business would be a $50 dollar hair care Q&A/ styling/caring for hair work shop for black women as most know how to get their hair to look good ( hey just slap in a $50 weave) but many don’t know how to keep it in good health.

omfg
omfg
Reply to  JenniD

a better business? i doubt she’d make $1million+ educating black women about hair. that sounds insane. there’s too much free information on the web for that.

not into weave, but i’m not all that mad at her for taking advantage of/exploiting black women’s number 1 addiction/source of insecurity — hair.

JenniD
JenniD
Reply to  omfg

Exploiting your people for a dollar is shameful especially since you know it is playing on an insecurity. Plus people like yourself forget that many black women could care less about going on line and looking up information about their hair. Despite information being plentiful I still see many black women with jacked up broken off hair that gets covered up with $50 dollar weave. Going to blogs and forums about hair is not everyone’s cup of tea. A traveling healthy hair education workshop would indeed make millions as it would eradicate a need for weave in the first place.… Read more »

LBell
LBell
Reply to  JenniD

Completely agree, JenniD. The thing is, though: How do you educate black women to see the beauty in their own hair texture? Because even though I see more naturals walking around than ever before, I also know that a lot of us are damn near hard-wired to hate our hair and to want someone else’s longer/looser/silkier variety. It seems that no matter how much or how often or how many different ways I say, “If I can do it, you can too,” there’s always someone ready to come back with an excuse. Some of those excuses are perfectly valid but… Read more »

The Colorist
The Colorist
Reply to  JenniD

I agree. I am an Atlanta stylist who lost hope and interest in the biz because of these shanaigans. A healthy hair workshop would be a great idea. I might just investigate more. Thanks for giving me hope. You never know what you say that will inspire.

PiaMia
PiaMia

i would like to try it, ive always wanted to try a weave but the cost and confusion for someone who has never had one has stopped me from trying but i would surely give it a go with for $50 … not so much for $200 plus and let me not even get started on my confusion of do i need to buy hair or do you provide? what kind of hair do I buy? dont just tell me whatever i want, brazilian, indian, remi bc im all huh?

Adriannan Nonyo
Adriannan Nonyo

I read about them last year, why overcharge for a darn sew in?

Leighton
Leighton

I think this is awesome. I’m not an advocate for weaves/sew-ins but for those who get them properly installed as protective styles, this is great. A lot of these stylist overcharge clients. When I used to get sew-ins, they were 150 for a full head. I moved to the DMV and stylists are asking for $300 without hair.