No, Having Natural Hair DOESN’T Mean You Can Frolic In the Rain

Avatar • May 8, 2015

fear_the_rain

It’s springtime, and you know what that means — rain! I’ve seen many naturalistas claim that they love being natural because they don’t worry about getting their hair wet, but let me tell you, I am NOT one of them. While I don’t mind a light sprinkling on my locks, anything more than that often yields a dry, tangled wash and go the next day. I can’t lie, I felt a little betrayed by my friend H2O, so I did some research to determine why my hair might react this way.

The answer is really quite simple: Pure rain water, is actually great for hair — it is the purest form of soft water, which makes your hair shiny and lush. Unfortunately, depending on where you live, your rain water may not be so pure, lowering its pH with harmful chemicals and pollutants. This acid rain can weaken your hair shaft, causing damage. Acid rain is also responsible for the corrosion of buildings and damage to trees at high elevations. Yikes! Just think of what that can do to your hair!

Tangling is also an issue. I also believe this is a result of all of my hair getting wet at the same time, as I section my hair when washing.

acidrain

Sure enough, one of my friends shared an article with me about acid rain on the east coast. Being low porosity, my hair has never reacted well to products or natural treatments with a lower pH (hence why I like the Cherry Lola treatment, which has a basic pH), and that reaction (dry, tangled hair) is the exact same thing that happens when I get caught in the rain. Now, is this true for everyone? No — being that our hair is unique, different levels of porosity or how pH affects your hair will determine the reaction your hair has. Furthermore, less industrial areas most likely have rain water with a higher pH, so I recommend doing some searching to see what it’s like in your area before worrying.

But, like always, listen to your hair — if rain water feels good to you, feel free to frolic!

How does your hair react in rain water?

Redseouls
Redseouls

I always have and I always will run from the rain!! Period!!

Eryn Shields

Ditto! I get the theory behind “naturals don’t have to run from the rain”, but it’s not my reality! 1. I don’t want rain in my face and 2. If I’ve spent time for any style other than a wash n go, rain will revert it with the quickness. So, up goes my umbrella!

LBell
LBell

Regardless of your hair texture or type, if you’ve spent time on a hairstyle that you know will be messed up by rain, then by all means don’t frolic in the rain if you don’t want your work to be undone. However, I always used to say to women thinking about going (back to) natural that one of the greatest benefits IMO — especially if you BC to a TWA — is that you no longer have to be AFRAID of rain or of water period. If it’s *lightly sprinkling* and I’m just going from one indoor space to another,… Read more »

Bigantic
Bigantic

My hair always feels softer and more managable after it touches the rain. Maybe it’s because of the seawater in Southern Florida?

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly

My hair IS my umbrella. It’s the one and only perk that my crazy hair affords me. It’s one of the reasons I only wear wash and gos…I just can’t be worrying about running and hiding from some water. I gave myself an ulcer worrying about my hair and the elements when I tried to wear protective styles. No thanks…

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Hair Anomaly

During my first 8 years of being natural I straightened my hair approximately 6 times. It’s funny how wearing a style that requires you to stay away from water makes you realize just how comfortable you’d gotten with NOT having to stay away from water, lol. I remember buying a shower cap, buying a plastic rain scarf (!), and asking my mother in frustration, “How did y’all DO IT??” meaning, how could you stand it back when the press-and-curl was the primary straightening method. Of course she looked at me like I was crazy. The last time I straightened my… Read more »

Elle D.
Elle D.
Reply to  Hair Anomaly

I also wear wash and gos, but the detangle session afterward just isn’t worth it to me.

SheridaDaily

Haha my initial instinct when I read the title was to pout massively whilst folding my arms like a four year old and shouting I CAN DO WHAT I WANT — Needless to say, always, always read before commenting. This was great, thanks guys!

p.s. i will never ever frolic in the rain with a twist out (or any stretched out state) — an old puff though? yes!

Michele Antoinette
Michele Antoinette

Rain water is awesome on my hair, it was in Chicago and even better in washington state.

Cherry Lola involves Baking Soda, which is an extremely high alkali, not a neutral PH.

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  0101

That stuff dries my hair out.

Elle D.
Elle D.
Reply to  0101

Exactly! Basic is a synonym for alkaline, not neutral pH.

Cosita
Cosita

I don’t care about the rain unless it’s a massive downpour and that’s more about my clothes than my hair. So what. I wet my hair every day anyway. I don’t own a shower cap. I can’t be one of those who when it’s sprinkling act like they’re having a heart attack because their hair is getting wet. I’m melting.…lol

Aliyah Morrison
Aliyah Morrison

I’m natural and I play in the rain. I have cornrows as a protective style so I don’t care . I would honestly only care if I was wearing a LOW manipulation style or I got my hair flat ironed but even if I was wearing a low manipulation style I would just throw it in a bun or ponytail if it started raining .

Lola

I frolic. I don’t care and it is such a perk to do that since I am natural.