[Video] Black Women Try “Nude” Fashion and the Results are Ridiculous

Avatar • May 23, 2015

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 2.44.12 PM

Now most black folks know what it really means when the color of something is described as “nude.”

It definitely isn’t a universal experience. From bandaids to pantyhose the idea of “flesh-colored” wares don’t typically match up with many folks of color. Buzzfeed recently gathered a few of their black female contributors to try on fashion marketed as “nude.” See their reaction below:

Also, if you’re in the market for some truly nude undergarments for women of color, check out UK-based lingerie brand Nubian Skin. They’ve come out with lovely garments in all sorts of brown sugar ladies like ourselves.

nubian-skin-nude-color-dark-skin-underwear-bra-knickers-hosiery

Do you think fashion brands should get rid of the “nude” color title?

Camille
Camille

I almost always buy my lingerie online, where you can do a search in the color brown. I refuse to buy “nude”. Also, gunmetal grey and navy are less harsh substitutes for black when you can’t find brown to go underneath. They won’t show through MOST things.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Camille

Agreed. Where do you buy your lingerie? I’m out of brown bras.

I’m dark-skinned (possibly a little darker than the model on the right) and I find I’m able to get away with black most of the time. Still, it’s great when you’re able to find something that truly represents your personal flavor of “nude.”

Camille
Camille
Reply to  LBell

The MOST diverse online store is Hosiery and More. They have those Bali, Playtex, Vanity Fair etc., and literally have EVERY bra that those brands make in brown. I found a lot of brown versions of bras I already like. It lets you see that a lot of stores simply choose not to carry the brown shades. They deserve an Image Award lol. Bare Necessities is brown-friendly mid range- to luxury brands. They’re the most diverse at that level. Herroom is has a wide range of costs and an ok amount of brown. Their size diversity is amazing and the returns… Read more »

ugh
ugh

Nude should change it’s meaning. Cause everything seems to always have a Default=white person. Tired of white people always being the gatdamn default of everything human.

Taqwa
Taqwa

i don’t think we need to get rid of the color “nude”, I just think it needs to be more inclusive and encompass ALL nude skin tones, not just shades of white. 🙂

Bye
Bye

Im not coming on this site anymore. Its out to cause pointless discussions and divisions. Im gonna look for something not so selfcentered. Bye

Aiych
Aiych
Reply to  Bye

lol, um bye felicia

OXxo
OXxo

I find it amusing reading this and noticing that the advert for make-up around this story has a White model with colours that don’t suit black skins.

Kay
Kay

I think the word nude should encompass all shades of skin regardless of the hue. We are all created different and we should be allowed to embrace our differences. God does not make mistakes.…

Kristina Bingham
Kristina Bingham

A girlfriend of mine is solving this issue! Her company is called Nude Barre. She’s a former NBA dancer and after countless fails trying to find fishnets for games that came in her color and after getting tired of dying her own tights, she decided to do something about it! http://nudebarre.com

melissa teo
melissa teo

Sometimes i want to buy a lace dress but lining under is this nude tone… what a waste.…i always call those the white girl dresses