4 Tips for Picking Out Your Natural Hair to Boost Volume

Avatar • May 28, 2015

Frohawk-Tutorial-6

When I first heard of women picking out their curls for volume and fullness, I can’t lie, I was a bit terrified. I recalled the times I blowed out and picked out my fro when my hair was much shorter, and even though it looked fly, the tangles afterward were something to be reckoned with. I didn’t want to go through that again, but also cannot stand how flat my hair can get sometimes now that it’s longer, especially when I’m using a heavier gel like EcoStyler.

The first comb I tried was a random medium sized pick that was in a 3‑pack I purchased at Walgreens for about $3. Sure, the price was immaculate, but this comb felt a little like a knife stabbing my scalp. I finally decided to upgrade my pick to a Hercules Sagemann, and I think I’m starting to get the hang of picking. Here are some tips to help you add this technique to your regimen:

Matador_2676__53190.1405326537.1280.1280

1. Get a seamless comb. It probably won’t kill you to use a comb with seams, but if you’re going to make picking a daily practice, a seamless comb is a good investment. My Hercules Sagemann is noticeably smoother and feels more gentle on my hair and scalp than the less expensive combs.

2. Wait until your roots are dry to pick them out. When I first started testing out picking, there were a few times that I got a little over zealous and began picking my roots out before they were dry. The result was poofy and tangled roots. Yikes. Stick to dry hair so you don’t totally puff out your hair, allowing it to tangle all over itself.

3. Stick to your roots. Yes, picking can give you a nice volume boost, but there’s a fine line between volume and poofiness and frizz. Using a pick on your ends or your entire hair strand is still the same thing as combing your hair out — no thanks. I still fluff out my ends with my hands, then use the pick on my roots only.

4. Don’t over pick. The joy you may feel when picking your hair out can feel a little too good, especially if you’re getting a good scalp massage in, but it’s important to pick to your hair’s desired level of volume, then chill. Over picking can cause tangles and put unnecessary stress on your strands.

Expect a full review and tutorial on my YouTube channel, Quest for the Perfect Curl, once I master my picking skills.

Do you pick your hair out? What are some techniques you use when you pick?

Dee
Dee

I prefer to pick my hair out by using my fingers.

SheridaDaily
Reply to  Dee

Hey Dee, just a question on that — do you still get the same volume as you would with a pick? Because I find that using my fingers causes my styles to turn out quite strangly and sparse… I’m trying to find a way around it though

Dee
Dee
Reply to  SheridaDaily

I get less volume.

nocturnalpianist
nocturnalpianist

Wow! I was just looking for info about picking roots out for volume the other day.
Thanks!

Natural Power of Her Blog

Yes i need to get myself a nice pic. The finger method doesn’t work well for me . Thank you for the recommendation on the right pic

Athorn
Athorn

My #1 tip would be, don’t use a pick on tangled/ slightly tangled / matted hair. You will pay dearly when it’s time to detangle. Also I have found that I like a metal pick with rounded teeth better than plastic since finding a seamless pick might be a task. The first pick I ever bought was plastic with seams. The damage showed up months later in the form of mid shaft splits and breakage at the roots. If you stick the pick into your roots and when you gently tug on it it goes absolutely no where, your hair… Read more »

ebonyhud
ebonyhud

Ever since I’ve been natural picking has been a process. I’ve been meaning to find wood, but I haven’t really seen it at a local store. Maybe I’ll just have to get it online.

Dee Hines
Dee Hines

I was just wondering if Hercules Sagemann had picks. I got on the seamless bandwagon about a year and a half ago and I have noticed a difference. Everyone was going crazy over the rake so I bought it. It was too stiff and the teeth were too wide for my hair but I have enjoyed their double sided contour comb. Even at past armpit length my hair still refuses to hang so I think that my hair might be telling me to rock the voluminous look. lol