Black Female Activist Calls for Kendrick Lamar Boycott Because His Fianceé is Light Skinned

Avatar • Apr 9, 2015

After a successful album release, rapper Kendrick Lamar announced the engagement to his long term girlfriend and high school sweetheart Whitney Alford. All should’ve been well and good with this news but one woman in particular was not pleased. Activist Rashida Marie Strober who is also manager of the “Dark Skin is Beautiful” campaign called for a boycott of Lamar’s music after learning of his engagement.

well, well, well would you looky here! ANOTHER FAKE CONSCIOUS MUTHER FUKER EXPOSED. I will never support him nor his music with one dime of my money and encourage all dark skinned women not to either!

Posted by The Dark Skin Activist Rashida Strober on Friday, April 3, 2015

Strober called for the boycott based solely on the color of Alford’s skin, as if to say anything progressive Lamar has done up to this point was now deemed null and void. Welp. There’s one less Waterford crystal purchased off the wedding registry. But we don’t think Strober’s presence would be missed had she been invited to witness the nuptials of the happy couple.

The interesting thing is that Kendrick has been with Whitney since high school, long long before he was famous. MediaTakeout.com located this old pic of the couple. He’s now 27, so it’s been a decade.

13917822098faec349c9907

And in a recent interview with The Breakfast Club, Kendrick discussed Whitney’s long term presence in his life.

Yeah, yeah [we definitely got engaged]. I’m loyal to the soil. At the end of the day, you wanna always have real people around you, period. Whether it’s male or female. And everybody that’s been around me, they’ve been around me since day one, and I can’t change that. I don’t change for nobody. I can’t run from that. I always show respect when respect’s been given, and people that’s been by your side, you’re suppose to honor that. And that’s how you stand up. Running around it and not acknowledging it is trivial.

What are your thoughts?

niksmit
niksmit

Maybe she’s just doing this to get her name out there more or maybe she’s truly troubled. Either way, bless her heart.

Kudos to the newly engaged couple for making it work through the transition to adulthood and into fame.

Blair
Blair

If you look up ignorant in the dictionary, you’d probably see Rashida Strober’s picture beside it. Her sentiments are absolutely ridiculous and embarrasing.

Jas
Jas

I don’t see an issue with him marrying who he wants to marry especially his high school sweetheart. I understand where the woman is coming from and how she was treated growing and the negativity she may still face today but coming after Kendrick Lamar won’t change anything. If he had left his high school sweetheart and decided to marry someone else then someone would’ve had something to say about that. You can’t please everybody and we shouldn’t try to. Yes there are Black men who purposely choose to date outside of their race because of their negative feelings towards Black… Read more »

ping
ping

*sigh

caprycious
caprycious

literally one of the most low intellect arguments ever thrown together

Nsha
Nsha

This is not real, one person is not a boycott or a controversy… this looks like a troll to me. We need to stop giving life to nonsense like this.

Angie
Angie
Reply to  Nsha

agree!!!!

This shouldn’t even be a topic. Its disgustingly ignorant.

good2bfree
good2bfree
Reply to  Nsha

I checked out her ‘Facebook’ page. Girlie is on some serious ish. She’s actually asking for donations to help ‘equalize’ the beauty of dark skinned women world wide. What’s she going to do with the money? Invest in a bunch of tanning booths? She sounds like those white supremists who live in Idaho or Wyoming, drop out of school and then blame Blacks, Latinos, Jews and everybody else for them not being able to find a job. Sounds to me like someone is fronting a stupid cause in order to cash in on anybody who will be stupid enough to… Read more »

nononsense
nononsense

If Rashida was a real activist, she would support Black love AND marriage. Period, end of story.

lis
lis
Reply to  nononsense

What is *BLACK LOVE*.….and how come I only hear Black women talking about it?

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

This “dark skinned activist” is nuts. However the issue is not Kendrick and his wife. Many are taking note of the fact that Kendrick put himself out that there as a big advocate for dark skinned women. But his real life does not exemplify this by being with a woman that can easily pass for racially ambiguous. Should he leave her? No. Is there anything wrong with her? No. But the question that many ask is: did he cater to the black dark skinned audience just to sell records? Think of a man who speaks on behalf of big girls,… Read more »

obby
obby
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Very good point!

ned
ned
Reply to  obby

he fell in love with someone, doesnt mean he doesnt like dark skinned girls. You can say your proud of your African American heritage all day then fall in love with someone who is white, arabic, spanish or whatever. Doesnt mean you dont love your people or your heritage.

Babe
Babe
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Yeah you hit some great points & John Legend comes to mind with this as well…

Jen
Jen
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Great point. The entertainment industries sell images. An image which elevates dark skinned women is as a commodified image just like any other. If KL makes a concerted effort to showcase darker skinned women in his videos (and I believe Trey Songz claims to do the same) it doesn’t really mean that he would be willing to date a dark skinned woman himself or has a genuine appreciation for a dark skinned woman’s beauty. He’s selling a product just like Beyonce, Justin Beiber, or any other pop star. This is his business and as I understand it, his image is… Read more »

BabyB
BabyB
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Speak about all black everything but seem to escape the blackness when picking a partner’

By this same logic, people who aren’t gay, cannot support gay rights, men cannot support feminism etc.. Anyone who is black can go out with whoever they please, dark light, white or otherwise. We should not be policing each other like this.

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee
Reply to  BabyB

This has nothing to do with policing anybody. I addressed a segment of black men (this also applies to non blacks) that use black women to gain an audience for nothing more than money and not genuine concern. This is nothing new. Use us to further your personal agenda then kick us to the curb when mission is accomplished. Again I’m not saying this applies specifically to Kendrick. But to deny that this goes on would make one dishonest. At least the gays and the feminists (the white ones anyway) have tangible things to show for their supportive non-participants. What… Read more »

Tiffany Smith
Tiffany Smith
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Bravo Ms. Vee! I loved your comment!

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Or maybe he fell in love with someone who has a lighter skin complexion. He can like dark skin girls, and still date a light skin girl. I like black guys but that doesn’t mean I won’t date a Puerto Rican. Don’t be mad that she’s getting married to money, lol

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee
Reply to  CocoaGoddess

Since comprehension is not your skill I will not address you beyond this. Not mad just blessed. You take care now.

cheryl
cheryl
Reply to  Ms. Vee

So it seems like at the basis, you also support this bitter pill’s diatribe! Girl bye…you sound like just another dark girl with serious complex issues! Black is black.…I don’t how light or how dark!

Just a guest
Just a guest
Reply to  cheryl

As a very light-skinned woman, I must say that I am extremely surprised at the lack of support for the issue this woman is trying to bring to the attention of the masses. While I understand that no one has a right to police anyone else’s bedroom, the reality is that there is an overwhelming number of black actors and athletes who chose light skinned black women, white women and women from other races over dark-skinned women, Why is this reality being denied? It has got to be hurtful for a dark-skinned black woman to see this phenomenon occur time… Read more »

Jen
Jen
Reply to  Just a guest

I think the point is to silence divergent view points and dissension among the ranks with this whole “at the end of the day, we’re all black” diatribe. That way, colorism never gets addressed in any substantive way. I think the most psychologically healthy thing that a woman can do is realize that outer beauty in this world is largely constructed in the image on the powerful and is therefore a load of… inner beauty and leading a healthy life (mind body soul) is way more valuable.

Ruck
Ruck

???????????? this here sums it all up. You said everything I thought.
I’ll just add that this so called pro black activist is exactly the type of African/ African American/ Black people that’s holding the community down worldwide.

Amelia Brash
Amelia Brash

I am a dark skinned girl and I really don’t think this should be an issue in our own black community we’re all BLACK!!!!! There shouldn’t be any sides beacause God made us all and he made us all equal.

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

So let me get this straight…you are unable to dismantle the pertinent points that I brought up. Instead you make an ass of yourself by assuming that I have issues when it’s YOU that has issues with comprehension. That’s comical. Here’s some advice that can help u out in life: reading and comprehension is fundamental. Just saying 😉

lecia p
lecia p

She’s batsh*t crazy if she thinks I’m going to boycott a BLACK artist for dating a BLACK woman jbc she’s not dark.she is foolish. pretending her hate for her own ppl is rooted in justice. She’s been hurt by her own bc of her color so her anger is justified but not so much that now any black man that doesn’t date dark is a coon or house slave.its sad. If it’s attention she wants, shes got her 5m of fame but she should know most of her attn is us feeling offended by her tirade OR feeling sorry for… Read more »

dutchghlory
dutchghlory

Wauw! People keep amazing me! Especially African-Americans. Why do you discriminate against each other? I don’t get the light skin vs. dark skin feud. Luckily I’m a black girl in Holland and not in the USA.

K. Pierre
K. Pierre

Kendrick may very well love him some dark skinned women, as he states in his lyrics. But the woman he loves and gave his heart to has a fairer skin complexion. So what? He proposed to the woman who has been rocking with him since the very beginning- light skin, dark skin, purple skin… who the hell cares? Sadly, you missed the point that another of our brothers has made an honest women of one of our sisters. This makes me question the integrity of the whole “dark skin” campaign. This division in the black community has got to stop-… Read more »

Sugabelly

And if there was not an unrelenting attack against dark skinned women, often perpetuated by light skinned women and their dark skinned male supporters, would she be “just another dark girl with serious complex issues”?

How come there are so many dark skinned women with serious issues if they are not being abused every day by the rest of society on account of their dark skin?

Sugabelly

Actually Black people of lighter skin are picked on significantly less than Black people of darker skin.

Mila Grass
Mila Grass
Reply to  Sugabelly

That isn’t true, people are so quick to sepperate words and terms of degradation, but just because someone may say something differently to one of darker skin vs someone of lighter skin does not make feelings of the lighter skinned person invalid. It’s sad that people actually believe things like that when the fact of the matter is if two people walked into a racist environment against blacks, one of darker complexion, and the other being lighter, they will both be treated terrible, one may say two completely different things to either one but that does not mean that one… Read more »

maralondon
maralondon

First of all Lamar’s long time partner is black and not another colour as it states in the post, she’s just one of the many shades of black. Get that right. The actions of this woman is ridiculous and i feel very embarressd for the rest of us that she is behaving this way. I understand the connotations of dark skin but It’s high time we get some therapy and leave the legacy of slavery behind us. Stop allowing Masa to win.

D Roberts
D Roberts
Reply to  maralondon

Masa? Nice racism. Maybe it was a white skin, then you could hate it? How about skin color doesn’t matter?

Tiffany
Tiffany
Reply to  D Roberts

? I think you may have misunderstood the last line of the comment. “Masa” here isn’t referring to a specific person; it’s an allusion to the slave mentality born in the times of “masas” that causes this girl’s inferiority complex and her subsequent overcompensation by hating anyone who isn’t dark skinned. Basically, OP is saying skin color SHOULDN’T matter and, once the slave mentality is abandoned, it won’t.

Celeste

Yeah…I don’t understand. Love doesn’t have a color or shade. I’m sorry.

maralondon
maralondon

You cannot be racist towards your own. Racism was created by Europeans who devised a system of oppression in order to elevate themselves, their race, whilst robbing the oppressed of economics, identity and culture. I do agree that Rashida is ignorant and discriminating against a black female who has a different complexion as she does, this happens a lot. All she is doing is playing in the hands of the original oppressors who set about to divide us in the first place.

David
David
Reply to  maralondon

That has to be the most ignorant prejudiced comment I have read. I bet you think slavery was only a white man’s thing too don’t you?

You very much can be racist with your own. Racism is the ideal that one particular race is superior to the other. While both are Black, there are carrying subtypes in that race. Much like those of varying White coloration.

This lady is a blatant bigot, however funny thing is had it been anyone of any other color there would be national headlines…

Says something about the truth of the issue.

Mila Grass
Mila Grass
Reply to  maralondon

Intra racism is the term for racism within your own ethnicity. Also known as “colorism” they both stem from hatred. I suppose one can sugar coat it anyway they like. But the truth is the truth. Wether or not she wants to continue to blame someone else for her brewed hatred is on her.

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess
Reply to  maralondon

Oh God you’re dumb

Michelle Lawson
Michelle Lawson

This has to be by far the dumbest boycott I have read this year. Black is beautiful, so that means we have to discriminate against those who are lighter than us? So that means because I love being Black that I shouldn’t love my very fair skin children? Some people really need to hone in on their critical thinking skills. This “activist” needs therapy, Jesus/Zeus/Allah, and a reality check.

Dara
Dara

hurting people hurt people

Danielle
Danielle

Wow. Is she serious? As a chocolate girl, I am so tired of this light v. dark thing! ALL black is beautiful. That’s why we can’t get anywhere now. Too busy worried about how to run everyone else’s house and not making sure our own is in order. I really wish people like her would just keep their mouths shut because they make us all look ignorant.

alt-K
alt-K

This is a very angry and bitter woman. Whew! That must take up a lot of her energy and time. A boycott will not stop anyone from choosing who to love.

justin garner
justin garner

So let me get this straight, you are upset because of the color of his fiance skin. Well that sounds a bit racist. I mean how dare he marry the person he loves , she’s not even the right shade of brown.

Portia Lightfoot

Can’t people be happy that he’s been with the same women since high school? and not the fact that she’s light skinned! She’s just a bitter women with nothing else better to do.

Geek0id
Geek0id

Yes. Most people are fine. well, really MOST people don’t care, the people who are interested are fine with it except a few racist.

M.A.T.
M.A.T.

This man is putting out nothing but positive energy and she’s trying to bring him down with hate and division. How the hell does the color of his girl’s skin tone negate all the good that he’s doing? It doesn’t.

Another fake conscious exposed”
The only thing you exposed was your prejudice.

Immodest Goddess
Immodest Goddess
Reply to  M.A.T.

Well said

Some Guy
Some Guy

TIL that someone named “Rashida Strober” needs some serious professional help. Who the hell does she think she is?

Brady Cardia
Brady Cardia

This is where we are in the world, ladies and gents. Everybody has a world stage to express their shitty opinions. Including me. We’re all f*cked.

Mloclam McCoy Nomdnih
Mloclam McCoy Nomdnih

What a racist douchebag.

John
John

What a stupid idiot.

bob
bob

Why beat around the bush. Call the activist what she is, a racist asshole. She’s calling for a boycott because her skin is not black enough and looks to white for her taste. There’s no ambiguity there, this is racism and should be stated as such

Okay
Okay
Reply to  bob

Your an idiot.

MelaNinja
MelaNinja
Reply to  Okay

What’s idiotic about the statement that that’s racist. Just cause it’s a black woman, who’s saying a racist thing.

Pope Ron Polyp II
Pope Ron Polyp II

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” One of these days, maybe.

Kimmy
Kimmy

That will never happen so stop dreaming and wake up to reality.

Brianna G
Brianna G

Ok, come on now. I’m waiting for someone to tell me that is just a late April Fools joke.

Geek0id
Geek0id

please change headline to:
A Racist Calls for Kendrick Lamar Boycott Because His Fianceé is Light Skinned

ebunni
ebunni
Reply to  Geek0id

Exactly, I feel like “some” black women are offended by everything, and it’s makes it harder on other black women.

BubzLife Starlight
BubzLife Starlight
Reply to  Geek0id

Dude you should see the fb page of the idiot.

AyyLmao420
AyyLmao420

Activists like this lower the overall intelligence level with their stupidity. This is a REAL dumb nigger.

lis
lis
Reply to  AyyLmao420

Blood clot idiot

disqus_LuP93mhocB
disqus_LuP93mhocB

Please don’t say stuff like that.

1. It’s not true.
2. It isn’t productive at all.

mj
mj

How does one person being racist say anything about a whole race?

PollyWannaCrakka
PollyWannaCrakka

Imagine his fiancee was white! OMG…burn his house down, right?

Wait what?!
Wait what?!

I immediately classified her as mentally ill. No one should take her psychotic head seriously. What a witchy disturbing woman.

lis
lis

Idiot

BelleNaturelleParis

This chick has too much time on her hands. The light skinned vs. dark skinned debate and African vs. Black American debate is a distraction that is old and played out! ANYONE that self identifies as Black let’s talk about economic empowerment thereby effecting change in our communities around the globe. Anything else is white noise in my book.

Okay
Okay

Because its not racist when its one black person talking about another. What dont you get. Its really quite simple.

Jacob Tautiaga
Jacob Tautiaga
Reply to  Okay

In this case it’s racism because she’s hating against Lamar’s fiance for having non-black (probably white) blood in her, reflected by her lighter skin tone. It would be the same as some Neo-Nazi scumbag hating against a mixed white/black person. It would be racism in that case too.

Swirlz
Swirlz
Reply to  Okay

Naw, its racist. Black on black racism.

kaydenpat
kaydenpat

My congrats to Lamar. Who cares who he is engaged to marry? I feel very sorry for Ms. Strober who feels the need to publicly display her ignorance and bitterness to everyone. She doesn’t speak for all dark skinned women.

lis
lis

And oh yeah…Whitney is tooooooo cute for lamar.

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess
Reply to  lis

He can love whoever he wants to love, ok? Why are you so bitter? His fiancé is very pretty, and she’s obviously been there for him for a long time. You don’t even know this guy, so just leave him alone. I’ve read your comments before, and it seems like you don’t even like black guys in the first place, so why do you care?

Elodie Careme
Elodie Careme

Well you may not hear it because you are not part of those communities but you meet the same issues in other ethnicities. For example, if you look at the Indian movie industry ‑the well-known- Bollywood, you’ll notice that the main mâle and female actor are always very light-skinned when actually Indian can be very dark some are even darker than Black people…there is this form of “racism” or discrimination too in China for example, where women “un-chinese” their eyes and undertake surgery to look more Western. That being said it’s no excuse for this activist’behaviour. But picturing dark skin… Read more »

NaturallyMe
NaturallyMe

Since when did Kendrick need this woman’s permission and approval for anything he did? Who deemed her the quantifier of all things “good enough”? She needs to take that chip on her shoulder and eat it. Maybe she won’t be so starved for attention and validation.

CocoaGoddess
CocoaGoddess
Reply to  NaturallyMe

She’s lonely asf probably.

April
April

I just can’t believe this non-sense. He is a very talented artist and as a dark-skinned woman I’m just looking at this “activist” sideways. She obviously has some problems. Light-skinned woman are no less black than dark skinned women. That’s a special mentality for those who like to keep black people divided. She’s disgusting.

kynnab
kynnab

She is another example of why we are referred to as angry black women… You never hear white women mad about white men marrying fair skinned white women or Asians women mad at Asian men for marrying other Asian women with chinkier eyes, only black women get angry over someone being lighter or darker, let that man love his woman in peace!

Amma Mama

The throwback pic is adorable. I had no idea they were high school sweethearts. Best wishes to them and congrats to them on their engagement. I like how he and J.Cole are making it official with their longtime girlfriends.

Polliany
Polliany

This is just pure evil. Why in the world would you hate on someone’s love life??? Honestly, I totally understand how hard it is for black women of dark skin to find love in their own black comunity, though I’m light skin women in my family are dark and I see what they go through. It’s certainly a HUGE issue, but the fact that Kendrick is choosing to honor his girl after a decade together should be much more celebrated than hated on.

blcknproud
blcknproud

Does she know that makes her a racist?? Is she living in a cave? The entertainment industry is full of black men with the lighter or whiter females. I feel sorry for her.….,.

Raven Kirk
Raven Kirk

Ever since High School is amazing. I do not see why some people have a problem about this. LOL

Bere
Bere

Oh please get the fuck outta here you racist black activists. Dark, yellow, light skin… At the end of the day we are still all considered to be black by white people, Asians e.t.c

Jacky
Jacky

I don’t understand Rashida’s point of view. Does she mean that light-skinned women should not have anything to do with black men? That light-skinned women shouldn’t fall in love and get married? I can’t believe this.

perry skyi
perry skyi

are you serious????? that girl has been there for him since he was just kendrick. is she saying now that he is famous he should just up and drop her because she happens to be “too light to be a black woman’? if this wasnt so ‘racist’ and screwed up it would be hilarious!! she need to shut up and sit down. kmt. ridiculous

Eliza
Eliza

Rashida Strober is the epitome of what one would call a racist; condemning someone and wishing them ill based on the color of their skin. What’s sad and pathetic is that she’s able to class black people — encouraging all dark skinned women not to support his album.is my caramel skin not black enough for her? When I see comments like this, I truly feel the person doesn’t love themself. She needs the power of Jesus in her life, because she’s malicious.

lily
lily

i understand where rashida is coming from because time and time again black american men who are celebrities tend who gravitate towards dating and mating with women of a lighter shade take lil wayne as a perfect example. for rashida to blatantly disrespect kendrick and his fiancee is disgusting, she does not know the couple personally to make such a judgement.

Dom
Dom

She is truly a troubled soul…

kissland
kissland

*plays k‑dots album* oh yeah we need to boycott because he’s not allowed to do what he wants!!!!!.…..this woman is pathetic.

Bigantic
Bigantic

This is crazy

lis
lis

I don’t listen to nor support rap/hiphop, so called conscious or not, so I don’t know or care who Lamar is but I feel sorry for and embarrassed for this *activist*.

Lies, damn lies, and stats
Lies, damn lies, and stats
Reply to  lis

My sentiments exactly. I gave up on hip-hop (15) years ago and R&B died (IMO) around the same time. I’m not black male identified, I see myself as a woman who happens to be black, I’m the light skinned daughter of a GORGEOUS chocolate colored black woman(dark skinned black women are BEAUTIFUL ).I date the rainbow of men, and when it comes to black men, I prefer the ones who are who are caramel colored and lighter with chiseled, sharp facial features.Yes, I have a color preference towards light skinned brothers, however, Denzel, Eammon Walker, Dennis Haysbert, and Blair Underwood… Read more »

StyleCartel

they need to get a life black people need to stop hating on black people.

obby
obby

This is so sad. I really don’t understand this. I come from a big family of 8 siblings. Both parents are non-light skin black and they produced an array of colors. The first 4 children are dark skin and the last 4 are tanned-light skin with. Every time we are together people are amazed and we all look alike! In the end we come in different shades but we are black. I said that to say, why does the color of her skin matter if it is true love? Instead of us black people wasting all this time and energy on… Read more »

Tabatha
Tabatha

Oh please he can marry whomever he chooses. This girl is just bitter and needs to take several seats and then spin until she gets all the way to the shoulder. He is with his Ride or Die chick and in the entertainment business that is nice to have. To be with someone that was holding it down when you you weren’t even relevant at the time. Hateful Troll.

Angela
Angela

Insane.

Leighton
Leighton

smh. This can’t be real. Rashida Strober can’t be real.

Sarita
Sarita

Wow, I am actually ashamed for you for even entertaining this self-hatred. GOD made us all shades of beautiful and we have no right to show partiality for any reason. If I continue to see this type of drivel passing for any form of journalism here again, I will unsubscribe!

Angela
Angela

Insane.

Angela
Angela

I put in a comment a while back and it was not registered. I thought I noted that other comments I made did not make on here either. Rather innocuous ones at that. What gives? Am I being censored for some (bizarre, unknown) reason? I don’t think I use any type of hate speech or anything more negative or incendiary than anyone else. What gives?

Mila Grass
Mila Grass

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dark-Skin-Activist-Rashida-Strober/184527671737242?fref=nf Rashida Strober, Wow! Not only are you a racist bigot but you are also a coward! Removing comments and opinions of others just because you don’t agree. Im going to repost what you removed. I am sick of black people telling other black people that they are not black enough. There is no such thing as being the right or wrong shade of black. No matter how light or dark a black person is, how they talk, what music they prefer, what they eat, they are still black first and foremost. Black people of lighter skin are not picked… Read more »

Marissa Dawson

GIRL BYE! This man has stopped his videos and recast them so that dark women could be depicted ( poetic justice). Not to mention the song complexion, king kunta, blacker the berry and I on his album which all talk about black empowerment and self love.

SophieBeans
SophieBeans

Silly “controversy” (although it seems this lady is mostly alone in her outrage). He’s a hip hop artist who’s been committed to one person since they were teenagers and before he was famous. That’s a good thing isn’t it? I don’t really see how dating a woman who doesn’t have dark skin makes him a bad person. The foul language and irrational reaction make me think we should actually just leave this “activist” (a title which is INCREDIBLY overused these days) to herself and move along.

Lucie

Can we all collectively agree to stop wasting our time by giving these people attention? It’s one person, one woman (i’m side-eyeing the use of the term “female) with an opinion. Not all opinions are worthy of one’s attention.

KnottyNatural
Reply to  Lucie

Yes! Unfortunately these types of articles are click and comment bait…the business side of things. I’m glad the general consensus in these comments is that we as black women of all hues are sick of the colorism b.s.

ebaiden
ebaiden

hECK YEAH I cussed the authour out real good! Who does she think is coming out of nowhere, not even knowing this man and the loyal fiance. She don’t even know him or her as a matter of fact. A decade! Woman! That’s longer than you could ever keep a man, so go take a seat over in the corner..Gurl bye!

kia
kia

This is frigging RIDICULOUS. She’s trying to push off her own insecurities and low self esteem onto him! Girl, have SEVERAL seats. Making something out of nothing. They’ve been together since before he became famous. Is he supposed to drop a woman that was with him while he accomplished his dreams bc of her skin tone? Chile bye

ChiChi
ChiChi

I disagree with Rashida and I feel she’s being racist herself. Who’s to say he HAS to date dark skinned girl. Andy why stop supporting his music? How does his music affect his relationship? You can date who you want and still be “conscious”. People and their judgement kill me. Rashida, you seem unhappy girl.

starzzzy
starzzzy

I’ll repeat here what I said to one of my male friends about this Rashida chick: If we were having real productive conversations on how to deal with the ever present issues surrounding colorism, this Rashida girl’s negative message would be effectively drowned out. Yet, we only really talk about colorism when there’s some half-done documentary out. We have got to find new ways to make the issue relevant so that future generations don’t see dark skin or light skin as an issue.

Dorian Johnson
Dorian Johnson

This completely ridiculous. This woman needs to gather her life. Its not her fault that she wasn’t with dark skin. Neither is it his fault that he has fallen in love with her. She’s being completely IGNORANT!

Gail
Gail

Angry and bitter..someone or many people in her life told her she was not beautiful..she probably saw this around her tooo..as people of colour we come in many shades unfortunately for slave mentlaity we have been told lighter skin is more beautiful when in fact all shades are beautiful..as a matter of fact shades has nothing to do with beauty its CHARACTER, Morals, ethics, values, empathy, honesty etc…its just sad that she has a platform to attack real issues and she chooses to perpetuate hate..hate that was taught to us with the Willie Lynch syndrome..she needs to check herself..all the… Read more »

DaTroof
DaTroof

Proof that black people are more racist than any other race… and this coming from a black man.

Immodest Goddess
Immodest Goddess

An idiot and a racist. It’s beautiful to see he values her love the same way he did before he achieved success. It’s not a story we often hear. I wish them all the best and I find their relationship admirable and romantic as hell.

Swirlz
Swirlz

Well damn, this is very disappointing. Granted the girl is “mixed” but who cares. She is not Rachel Dolezal! She actually still is a sistah. This looney needs to listen to track # 12 Complexion. Not to mention this been his girl for the past 10 years! She had first dibs & she is consistent, mo props. This is not a act of activism. My husband is very dark skin darken than Kendrick and I am what some would call light I call it “caramel” I am black on both sides. Nothing but love from our peers. I wish Kendrick… Read more »