The Diversity of Beauty: One Twin Born With Brown Skin, the Other With White

Avatar • Mar 4, 2015
aylmer-twins 2015

Barcroft Media

Lucy and Maria Alymer (pictured above) are twin sisters. Yes, that’s right: TWINS! Born in 1997 to a white father and half-Jamaican mother, the set of fraternal pair were quickly identified as a natural miracle. Lucy was born with white skin, red hair and blue eyes whereas Maria was born with brown skin and brown eyes.

aylmer family photo

The twins were no stranger to the disbelief of many of their acquaintances. Lucy goes on to recall their upbringing:

No one ever believes we are twins. Even when we dress alike, we still don’t look like sisters, let alone twins. Friends have even made us produce our birth certificates to prove it.”

Lucy-and-Maria-Aylmer-non-identical-twins-2

The twins recently went on Good Morning Britain to speak on their experience as twins.

Maria and Lucy are just 2 of the 5 children that make up the Aylmer family. Take a peak at their recent family photo below:

aylmer family photo present day

Fraternal twins inherit different genes from their respective eggs. In the case of the Alymer twins, their mother Donna, carries genes for black and white skin, hence Maria inherited one code and her twin sister Lucy inherited another.

Instances like these are so rare, it was estimated that such a rare occurrence was only 1 in a million. It was later reported to be closer to 1 in 500 after a similar case was recorded. This time, the parents, Alison Spooner and Dean Durrant in Michigan birthed two sets of black and white twins just 7 years apart:

durrant twins

Solent News & Photo Agency

Then there’s the case of twins Kian and Remee born to Kylee Hodgson and Remi Horder in 2005.

mellizas negro y blanco

Do twins run in your family? Has a similar occurrence happened to you? Discuss below!

OXxo
OXxo

The issue here is not that they are amazing to be different colours but people’s ignorance around twins in general. Lots of people automatically assume all twins are identical. Yet most of the twins I know and I am related to, like my brother and sister, are not identical. If one/both parents are mixed race or have a white grandparent/great grandparent then genetics means that any of their children, can have any appearance (phenotype) under the sun. Therefore it’s not surprising that non-identical (fraternal) twins can have massively different appearances and this occurs even if they have the same skin… Read more »

Manestream Beauty
Manestream Beauty
Reply to  OXxo

The majority of twins like this that I have seen reported in the media are mostly from the UK. About every 5–10 years there is a new set of twins born with this phenotype. I saw toddler twin boys in London with the same phenotype. It really challenges how people perceive and understand genetics, race and ethnicity. No matter how a person self-identifies, social and political classifications will sometimes trump what lies beneath the skin. The BBC did a documentary about this in 2011 based on 5 twins (from babies to early 30s) called Twincredibles (link below). It’s really insightful and… Read more »

Linda
Linda

Ugh! Pale skin isn’t the only requisite to being white. I feel sorry for these weird families who think one child is mixed race and the other is white. And the white mom who said, “Yay! Finally someone who looks like me in the house.” Maybe she should have married a white man if that was a cause for celebration. With the exception of one man, all of the children looked like tons of mixed kids running around here in the states. And how about that little boy of color calling himself white and on the white team? The mother… Read more »

OXxo
OXxo
Reply to  Linda

That is a whole different discussion. Though it was briefly mentioned by the family where the pale twin actually looked “White” who moved to Manchester. Virtually all the twins in the program live in places where there are few people of colour. (There are actually places in London that were bad when this documentary was made.) This means people aren’t used to someone who is simply not White let alone someone who is mixed raced and is very pale. This is why their skin colour is a big deal. If they lived near me or where I grew up it wouldn’t… Read more »

wretchedwhiterabbit
wretchedwhiterabbit
Reply to  Linda

They probably have physical and mental health problems, resulting from mismatched physiology and identity confusion. I would never blame children for their parents’ mistakes, but it’s a shame that people would selfishly inflict the hardships of interbreeding upon their own children for the sake of a fetish.

LaVerne Smith
LaVerne Smith
3 months ago

You are out of your mind to say something like that!!! Have two seats

Christina
Christina

Thanx for the documentary‑i really liked it. Im from a mixed Family and i live in Germany. Im Not a twin but still i could relate to a Lot mentioned in the documentary about Self image and discrimination. What i found striking was seeing an intact mixed family with parents 20 years married. Ive Never Seen that in Germany. Most marriages btw black men and white women get divorced, like my parents’. I think One of the reasons is that germany Unlike the uk and the us doesnt have a history of colonization. think that Makes it Even more difficult… Read more »

Manestream Beauty
Manestream Beauty
Reply to  Christina

Hi Christina, I’m sorry you feel like “the odd one out” but you are blessed with a point of view that is unique to your life experience. The difficult things in life reveal personal strength.

Explore the world if you can. You will likely find a city or town that feels like home to you. In the meantime, connect with people who share your interests and those who may also have a similar background. You’re not alone 🙂

christina.bo
christina.bo

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement- I really apreciate that…:) Thank you also for the documentary which was so valuable to me because it showed me that there are other people like me.
Yes, I will-thanx so much! 🙂

Manestream Beauty
Manestream Beauty
Reply to  christina.bo

You’re welcome 🙂

Marsha
Marsha
Reply to  OXxo

Me too. I dont see the miracle here. It’s basic genetics. Their parents are mixed and they are not identical twins, so of course they could come out differently. Just like one twin being a boy and the other a girl. Different sets of egg and sperm. Might be a miracle if you dont understand that genes are more than outward appearances.
Also people need to stop saying half Jamaican. It’s a nationality.

Anyway the article was cute.

maimable
maimable

Genetics can do wonderful things! I read this article after just researching genetic counselor programs and I am striving to
become one in the near future.

thill
thill

Diversity” itself is beautiful!

LaVerne Smith
LaVerne Smith
3 months ago
Reply to  thill

Absolutely

cryssi
cryssi

twins don’t run in my family, but my mom is 10 months older than my aunt and my mom was born with light brown skin, black curly hair, and dark brown eyes. My aunt was born with green eyes, white skin, red freckles, and red hair. My grandparents were confused, this was the 50’s in Louisiana, since my grandma is dark chocolate and my grandpa was warm honey. After about 20 years my aunt darkened to caramel, but my grandma still teases how my grandpa was like, “whose white baby is this?”

Millie
Millie
Reply to  cryssi

A similar thing happened in my family. I am from East Africa and as far as my family knows, we do not have a history of mixing with other races. But my younger sisters who were born 12 months apart look completely different. One was born dark like me with medium brown eyes, the other was born with very fair skin, as though she were mixed and light sandy/copper coloured hair. and very dark brown eyes. As she got older her skin also darkened to a caramel, but she is still a lot lighter then me and my other sister.… Read more »

abbiethrills
abbiethrills

In black families, especially mixed ones, skin tone variations like this are common. I guess people are more shocked when it happens with twins.

I get a little annoyed when media refers to one as “white” and the other as “black” instead of both as mixed race. I get that society will perceive them through a white/black racial binary, but they’re both mixed race and have the same genes.

Awa
Awa
Reply to  abbiethrills

That is so true. Thank you for that comment.

helen black
helen black
Reply to  abbiethrills

Race mixing is wrong,

Dee
Dee

Race really just is a societal construct. The differences between us biologically are non-existent save the few genes that alter looks. If only the world saw this.

alt-K
alt-K

Both girls are very beautiful. In fact, the entire family is lovely. Genetics are funny sometimes.

Jesus-in-the-City
Jesus-in-the-City

This is so beautiful! I don’t have twins but I am in an interracial marriage where my husband is 100% European and I am black American and our kids look 95% like him. I do have mixed lineage from my great grandparents and beyond, but I don’t consider myself mixed since both my parents are black. Seems like my kids got my husband’s side and the European side of my side as well. And my two kids look pretty much exactly alike, same white/tan skin color, same straight hair, same shaped eyes, everything. I’m pregnant now and guessing this new… Read more »

dannibambi
dannibambi

I agree. We are all created in His image and we are all beautiful. I used to be ashamed that I look so white compared to the African/Cherokee side of my family, but eventually I had to realize that I know that I am part African American and Cherokee Indian and that this is how God wanted me to look, and I should rejoice in how God made me. So when people ask if I am Italian, Mexican, or Persian (none of which I am), I just smile and kindly educate them of my mixed heritage and what I am… Read more »

helen black
helen black
Reply to  dannibambi

Race mixing is wrong

helen black
helen black

This is for Black people

Jojo
Jojo

Check out the movie Skin if you haven’t. Imagine a brown baby being born to South African parents during the apartheid era: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0964586/

NoTime4Bimbos
NoTime4Bimbos

Where’s the one with, “brown skin?”

Sigh...
Sigh...

That woman is white, not black. She identifies as white, not black. The average human walking down the street would assume she’s white, not black. Both twins (and the other siblings) are 3/4 white. Why is this considered a “miracle” by the author? In fact, I’m not even sure why this is being featured on a website for black women. Yes, genetics can throw in a curve when it comes to recessive and dominant genes, but I’m not sure why people are getting excited about this story.

maralondon
maralondon

I met a twin years ago one parent of African descent and one of European. Her skin tone lets say resembled that of Lupita Nyongo with similar textured hair. Her twin looked like the brown skin twin in the article with the same hair type. You don’t see this being picked up by the media. We seem to be more fixated on the European look.

Tabatha
Tabatha

This is a cool story. Twins don’t run in my family, but it’s not impossible to happen. I don’t know why people are being so upset over the article. Is it a miracle no, but is it interesting yes. I know tha tif you produce children with a white person or lighter skin person that there is a chance that your child will be light as well, but I just never gave it thought that you would have a light skinned and a darker skinned child in a twin situation. Very cool. But I can’t imagine what the teasing would… Read more »

Orihime11
Orihime11

On a side note, since I mainly think hair when I’m here, I couldn’t help but focus in on the damage that the red one has done to her hair. Not being facetious or anything but I had a moment like…man I wish I could just reach out and help her.

Jas
Jas

Fraternal twins don’t always look alike. The picture with all 5 kids and the mother, the twin with the lighter complexion looks like the brother she is standing next to. The father is white and the mother is half Jamaican so there is a possibilty that their kids would look like one parent more than the other or have a combination of both parents. The young ladies are fraternal twins, so one has more of her Dad’s features while the other looks like her mom. I’m a woman with a twin brother and while we do look related people expect… Read more »

blackgirlblackwoman
blackgirlblackwoman

why is the author referring to the mother as being half-Jamaican. I’m from the Caribbean and Jamaican is not a RACE. Jamaican is a nationality and within that nationality there could be many races. I just can’t with the ignorance of others who are not from the Caribbean or not fully knowledgeable of the Caribbean. Am I to assume that because the author inaccurately labeled the mother as being “half-Jamaican” that we should identify her as “black”? why not just say that the father is white and the mother is black? what does the mother’s nationality have to do with… Read more »

LusciousDC
LusciousDC

My only grand daughter is half Black and half White. To look at her you see a precious little White girl. My niece has all mixed children. She had to convince people her oldest son was her because he had White skin and steel grey eyes. My other niece has all mixed children as well. Her first son is darker than she is. So, when dealing with mixing races, there is really no telling what you will get. All I can say is just love them with all you have. I do.

Erica
Erica

I wonder if they have counted Albinism as a possible cause? My son resembles the light skinned twin and he has albinism. One twin could have it and the other not have it.