Men Confess: Why I Love My Woman’s Natural Hair

Avatar • Mar 2, 2015

Despite what we may see on our television screens and in music videos, there are men out there who not only love natural hair, but prefer it. Here are three men who embrace the natural hair community and their ladies who rock fabulous natural hair.

Zeno

Zeno and Chenae

Chenae and Zeno

Chenae

Chenae

Zeno and his lovely wife Chenae are originally from Baltimore, MD. They moved from Baltimore to Atlanta three years ago. By day, Zeno details luxury vehicles and Chanae is a claims examiner. By night, the couple perform. They are an acoustic duo and they go by the name Che’Zee (pronounced Shay-Zee).

Chenae has been natural for three years. When Zeno met her, her hair was relaxed. She returned to natural 6 months after they became a couple. Zeno said that he appreciates her natural hair and he was never the kind of man who was into weaves or extensions. He doesn’t see a problem with women who wear added hair, but it isn’t his preference.

There is nothing more beautiful, powerful, or sexier than a woman embracing her raw self and she knows exactly who she is when she looks in that mirror. Like Bob Marley said, your hair is your identity. My baby found hers,” he said.

Zeno wastes no time making sure that he tells his lady how much he adores her and her decision to be her natural self. The reason why? It’s simple…he truly loves it! Her reaction to his adoration is priceless and filled with happiness. There have been many times when Zeno watches Chanae twist her hair at night and pick her afro in the morning; a sight he truly enjoys.

I love her natural hair because it’s raw beauty. I love that it’s free expression and she seems even more free, from when she started her natural hair journey. I love her hair because it has helped her find her true identity, self, & purpose. I love that she gets to experience life and growth with her hair. And what natural haired man wouldn’t love his natural haired woman!  My baby’s hair is the bomb tick tick tick dot com,” he doted.

Although Chanae is a confident woman, it makes her feel even more amazing and confident, knowing that her man genuinely loves her mane. He’s been there with her through her natural hair journey and was there when she first took those scissors to her hair. Zeno loving her natural hair makes her feel even more beautiful than she already is.

Shine

Shine and his girlfriend.

Jessica and Shine.

Deshon2

Jessica

This 21 year old musician resides in Baltimore, MD but he grew up in Raleigh, NC. He and his lovely lady, Jessica, are in a committed relationship and she was already proudly embracing her natural crown when they met. Jessica’s been natural for three years and Shine has enjoyed watching her grow in her natural hair journey.

I do appreciate the fact that she embraces her natural hair. I understand the pressure that society puts on women to conform to this Eurocentric standard of beauty. It takes a lot of courage to go against that. To be you. To be free,” Shine said.

Shine often finds himself staring and touching Jessica’s natural hair because he believes it’s beautiful. He loves reminding her of how beautiful her natural self is and he enjoys showing her how much he appreciates her for being her.

Shine’s lady loves when he admires her and he believes that it gives her more confidence knowing that she has his support.

I love the texture and the unique curl patterns in her natural hair. I love her natural hair because it’s an expression of her freedom. It represents her individuality and confidence. I love the fact that she isn’t confined to just wearing her hair a certain way because of the physical standard we’ve all been conditioned to,” he said.

Shine also believes that because Jessica is her natural self, it makes their connection stronger.

I embrace my natural hair as well, and the sentiments are reciprocated. When you’re freely able to express love. To know that someone loves you and appreciates you. Values you; even when you’re most vulnerable. I think that’s beautiful.”

Andrew

Andrew of YouTube channel, Drew Comments.

Andrew of YouTube channel, Drew Comments.

Although it’s nice to see taken men who enjoy their Queens, it’s also great to get a single man’s point of view. Social media personality, Andrew has always liked healthy natural hair, but he didn’t fall in love with it until his senior year in college. He was dating a young lady who decided to transition to natural. He loved her and when her hair changed, he loved her hair too.

Men are a very important part of the natural hair movement. Women can say all this “I’m doing this for me” stuff all they want, and I know that’s true, but a woman wants to feel appreciated by a man. She doesn’t need a man to validate her, but she does thoroughly enjoy a man appreciating her,” Andrew noted.

When Andrew does find his happily ever after, he’d like for her to have natural hair. It’s something that is extremely important to him because it’s one of the few things about a person that isn’t learned via societal influences.

Her texture and curl pattern are things that are unique to her because of her genetic coding. You can influence someone’s personality, language, sexual orientation, attitude, but you can’t influence how someone’s hair grows without physically altering it. My wife will need to be happy with the real her first. I find that women who love themselves are more fun to be around. They usually have fewer insecurities which leaves me with fewer headaches lol,” he said.

Do you have a similar experience? Share the love below!

Lee Torrey

Thank you! This is what I’ve been screaming forever. I hate that so men black men get stereotyped as natural hair haters. That’s the focus of http://www.blackhairOMG.com to show support from a black man’s point of view.

MommieDearest
MommieDearest
Reply to  Lee Torrey

I checked out your website. It’s awesome! A much needed breath of fresh air and positivity to counteract the flames of animosity between black men and black women that are continually fueled and fanned on the internet and beyond. Keep up the good work. 🙂

Lee Torrey
Reply to  MommieDearest

Thanks so much sis, that means a lot to me. Yeah, when I first got started with the site I actually got a lot of push back from some women on social networks. It’s like they thought there was a catch. The internet fights have jaded us, time to use it to encourage each other.

roo08
roo08
Reply to  Lee Torrey

The internet fights have jaded us, time to use it to encourage each other”

AMEN!!

lis
lis
Reply to  Lee Torrey

Hmmmm.….What are you selling and trying to get Black women to support…hair, what, etc?..I wonder why some Black women are suspicious of Black men and their motives?(sarcasm).….see crap music and most Black male culture… If sincere…thanks..I guess.

Lee Torrey
Reply to  lis

Your message leaves me baffled… Have a great day anyway. #positivityOvernegativity

Rawtid
Reply to  Lee Torrey

yeaaa I’m confused.

Hannah
Hannah
Reply to  Lee Torrey

Right?! I’ve personally received plenty of praise from plenty black — and white — men over my natural hair…These stereotypes are ridiculous

anastasia
anastasia

Yaaaaaaas!

separationcs
separationcs

White men love it also.

Lee Torrey
Reply to  separationcs

Really? So why isn’t it promoted in the media? Just wondering… Stop worrying about what white people love, it will help greatly. If they loved it so much there would be no reason to go BACK to natural hair. Would have never been stripped of it and made to feel less in it in the first place. Don’t get me started.…

MommieDearest

FijiFreckles
Reply to  separationcs

Nobody cares.

Lana
Lana
Reply to  separationcs

Dont come over here starting anything.
Lets just keep everything peaceful.
Men of all races love natural hair.

I know I took the bait and responded but
I really dont want to see a thread of people
arguing race and whatever related to hair.
Lets just appreciate these beautiful women
and the men who love them <3

cha
cha
Reply to  separationcs

.…And…?

Tasha
Tasha
Reply to  separationcs

A lot of men from different ethnicities love natural hair.

cryssi
cryssi
Reply to  separationcs

I can appreciate that white men loving my hair, but I’ve always been enamored with black men. Especially a natural black man who love a natural black woman and neither falls into the “hippie” stereotype.

They’ve high lighted on more than one occasion the “milk” loving a straight from the cocoa bean natural piece of chocolate, none of the processed stuff.

So just brace yourself for the natural hair nazis who might come for you, due to your need to insert the white man into this separate topic.

Anna
Anna
Reply to  separationcs

If white men “love” it so much than why is it still considered “unprofessional and militant” in the workplace? Why don’t you see more women with natural hair of all types in commercials, television, movies, magazine covers and etc? The majority of white men are attracted to women closer to European standard of beauty.

David F
David F

Love the natural hair on my girlfriend more than anything. She is beautiful either way, straight or natural, but there is something about the natural look that drives me crazy

Fatima
Fatima

Don’t worry about white people liking anything on your body the hips and butt they call you fat for having, the lips they say are too big, the skin they say is too dark and the hair they call ugly, nappy etc. etc. I loved this post and the BLACK MEN saying they love BLACK WOMEN’S natural hair. If you like white men fine that’s you but don’t ruin this post by including that. If you enjoyed this like I did and are interested in what your men think of your hair you can follow FROS and Beaus on instagram… Read more »

Zoe
Zoe

alt-K
alt-K

Hooray for admirers 🙂

maralondon
maralondon

There are also a lot of men from other ethnicities(the majority) who have no interest in black women and wouldn’t as much look at us.

Tasha
Tasha
Reply to  maralondon

That is too true.

lis
lis
Reply to  maralondon

Lol

lis
lis
Reply to  maralondon

And?.…you know this how?

Myllee
Myllee

Although , I am glad for them their partner love hair, I am a bit confused when this one happened to be Black too. Some Black men are acting like they have a different type of textures/skin color/features from Black women. If they love themeselves, shouldn’t they like people who look like them?

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

I’m glad that he is now you ex. What an ignorant attitude!

Nicole Archie
Nicole Archie

It really warns my heart to see black men praising natural hair because there was a time, and still is, where many men and young boys were making fun of our hair if it wasn’t straight . teach this love of raw natural beauty to our young girls

Lee Torrey
Reply to  Nicole Archie

It’s a beautiful thing. Most guys never really understood what it was and how great it looks when embraced. It’s the bomb, many dudes are pickin up on that, it’s pretty dope. I been loved it from day 1, so Ima go on ahead and pat myself on the back, lol.

Nicole Archie
Nicole Archie

That’s really sad that you had to go through such ignorance.

Chat
Chat

Love this!!!! Do more please :).

Vee
Vee

I work for a large, international, white owned executive consulting firm. I interact with CEOs of Fortune 1000 companies that visit our corporate offices. I walked into my interview with my natural hair, as I would wear it if I got the job, and I got the call back within 24 hours. Nobody has ever given me the impression that my hair was unprofessional, even when I feel it’s a little unruly and in need of some TLC. As for advertising and media, the majority of black women in America still have relaxed hair or wear straight hair in some way.… Read more »

who cares
who cares
Reply to  Vee

they consider you exotic

nyame
nyame

lol…when the white men comment on the love of our hair though somehow we’re “looking for validation” psshh. maybe we just like to hear our men talk about features they like. && mine just happens to be white chocolate:)

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn

my man loves my natural hair it makes him proud like see him staring at my hair with those like eyes it like they love that u can look good even if the world ended and no perm or weaves existed

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn

my man loves my natural hair it makes him proud like see him staring at
my hair with those like eyes it like they love that u can look good even
if the world ended and no perm or weaves existed if a man doesnt love your natural state then e doesnt love u period he loves u representive

Staci Elle
Staci Elle

My guy prefers natural hair too and I love it.

Chastity B. The Entrepreneur
Chastity B. The Entrepreneur

My man prefers My hair to be Natural a well. 🙂

Eleanor
Eleanor

I’ve been reading these comments and seriously, there are men of all races who like natural hair, and there are plenty of men from the same races who don’t like natural hair. Now, if your partner does not like the way hair grows out of your head, then you may need to re-evaluate your relationship. I am glad, however, that many black men embrace natural hair. But, shouldn’t that be default? I mean, how many black men have you seen with relaxed hair? I am saddened by internalized racism and the adoption of toxic white beauty standards in the black… Read more »

ladynefertitibk
ladynefertitibk

That article really made my day and put a smile on my face. So wonderful to hear.

JenniD
JenniD

This was a nice piece. Love the photo of Jessica patting her fro.

Elle
Elle

Love this article! My guy loves my naturally curly hair as well. He even gets a bit sad if I flat iron it. He says it’s not the same! I have a big personality, so my natural hair really matches the person I am.

Natural Brotha
Natural Brotha

Men have always loved it! Check out the group of men that started from a Brooklyn dialogue led by a social worker/natural hair business owner in 2011 Brothas That Love Sistas with Natural Hair http://www.lovenaturalsistas.com

Likewaterforchoc
Likewaterforchoc

I’m also really glad to see some ladies with kinkier hair textures represented as well. I have type 4 hair and when I initially decided to transition to natural years ago, the guy I was seeing at the time told me that it would only work if I had “good hair.” His exact words.

g
g

I agree with drew. a lot of women say they don’t care about what men think and they do things for themselves; that may be true, but I DO care about what men think! I care about what they think because I want to date them. and I will never lie about that. at the same time, I know enough that I don’t want to date an ignorant jerk of a man…and knowing what a man thinks determines whether he is a jerk or not!

Tiffany Chong

Love this! We need to break the stereotype that makes black women feel the need to keep damaging their natural textures to have straight hair.

Shana
Shana

I remember the first year I went natural my husband and I was invited to a wedding, so I asked him “babe would you like me to get my hair straighten for the wedding and he responded “for what, I like your hair just the way it is”. I must admit I fell in love with him a little bit more that day.

Nehes Ba'a Rayay
Nehes Ba'a Rayay

I “LITERALLY” Worship the Ground the Negroid Woman with her Natural-Born Hair WALKS on!!!! #LoveMyNaturals